• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can I do with this HD.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fordman

Hello

I have a Compaq 72.8 gb 10000 rpm drive. My question is what can I do with it on my main rig? What is the cost to do it and What is it worth?

TIA
Fordman

Is this a scsi hard drive?? If so you would need a scsi controller to hook it up to...

oh and way to go representing the 5.0, I sure love mine.

Can you post the make and model of the harddrive (should be on the sticker)

Then we can find what type of SCSI it is and what type of controller you would need

Well, eBay doesn't have any wide ultra3 (wu3) controllers...and the cheapest one on pricewatch is $140.

So I'd recommend trying to sell it on ebay and get a few bucks to buy an SATA or IDE drive that you can use :)

I'm just going to rewrite this cuz it didn't make sense the way I wanted it to:

I can't imagine there aren't U3W controllers on ebay, U3W is Ultra160 SCSI. And even if there aren't, any LVD type controller (from 80 mb/s Ultra2Wide to 320 mb/s Ultra4Wide) will work. The one big issue is if the drive is a SCA 80 pin (designed for SCSI backplanes, has a single 80 pin connector and no molex) or standard LVD 68 pin centronix (has a molex connector and the "standard" 68 pin scsi port most bare controllers have). If its an SCA unit you'll need an adaptor to make it work. Putting the PN in a search seems to indicate it is in fact an SCA 80 pin unit, so you'll need an adaptor to make it work with most standard controllers. If you can find a Dell LSI based controller on ebay they tend to work, my LSI 21320R is actually a Dell branded card flashed to original LSI firmware. I think I paid 40 bucks for mine.

Last edited:
Back