• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

barcelona preview at anandtech

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splat

ASCII Moderator
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2939

Quote on timing:
Barcelona's window of opportunity is slim, depending mostly on how Intel's transition to 45nm goes. Publicly Intel has stated that its architectural update to Core 2, codenamed Penryn, will begin shipping by the end of 2007. However, current roadmaps show availability at sometime in 2008 with no word on when significant quantities will be available. Should Intel take longer than expected with the move to its 45nm Penryn core, Barcelona's mid-2007 launch on servers and Q3 '07 launch for desktops may come at a relatively quiet time for Intel.

after reading through the article, it does sound like barcelona will be as good as, if not better than, Intel's Core architecture, so I look forward to seeing more info.

also note that K8L is not mentioned in it anywhere (i know some people have been talking about K8L vs. K10)

I am tearing my hair out over this stuff. It's upgrade time for me and on one hand I want a Brisbane, but 512k L2??? What a joke!....I really do not want to go back to the dark side, but right now it looks tempting...

Edit: What an incredible read. Looks very promising. Newer AM2 boards are supposed to support this new achitecture...*sigh*

Last edited:
Silverfoot said:
I am tearing my hair out over this stuff. It's upgrade time for me and on one hand I want a Brisbane, but 512k L2??? What a joke!....I really do not want to go back to the dark side, but right now it looks tempting...

Edit: What an incredible read. Looks very promising. Newer AM2 boards are supposed to support this new achitecture...*sigh*
You can easily get another 100-200Mhz out of a Brisbane to make up for the cache diff. Bying a new mobo now is not good as we need socket F to go for Barcelona!
If you're not in need of a system now then wait a little for the better stuff!

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2939&p=9

that entire page discusses why the L2 cache remains small compared to Intel's, and why there is a new L3 cache. I think Anand did a great job of explaning why L2 cache on the A64's and the new Barcelona does not need to be big and why Intel needs to have a large L2 cache.

So, until there are performance results, I think the whining over cache size is unwarranted.

splat said:
So, until there are performance results, I think the whining over cache size is unwarranted.

:eek: After reading the article I saw that because of the AMD Arch it doesn't make that much diff, and why Intel has such rediculously Large caches by comparison. I forgot to edit my whine out.

Perhaps the latter part of my argument is for the mobo forums but I swear I read that there is a new AM2 board that will support the Quads?

After going to Intel...I feel dirty so this gives me hope!

I may not after all head towards C2D, but instead just clock my new sempron as high as I can go, get a really nice PCI-E and just wait.

Back