• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

45nm Quad Core CPU's Delayed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suprchargd

Intel to delay launch of three 45nm quad-core CPUs on poor AMD performance
Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 19 December 2007]

Intel has recently adjusted its product strategy and will postpone three 45nm quad-core CPUs that were originally scheduled to launch in January next year, according to sources at motherboard makers.

Intel has already notified its partners that it will push back the launch of the three CPUs to February or March next year, depending on AMD's schedule for triple-core and the upcoming Phenom CPUs.

Launching the CPUs now will not benefit Intel much in its battle with AMD, while they could cause damage to Intel's 65nm quad-core CPUs, therefore the company has decided it is in no rush to release new products until AMD is able to present more of a threat.

The three CPUs that Intel plans to delay are the Core 2 Quad Q9300, Q9450 and Q9550, added the sources.

Intel commented that its launch of 45nm quad-core CPUs for desktops is on track for first quarter 2008, but declined to disclose a specific time-frame.

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20071218PD212.html

Sucks for everyone that was planning on getting their Penryns in January. Think this is connected to the X48 delay?

Good news for Intel's wallet, bad news for high end consumer's. I'm not too worried about it myself as I wasn't planning on getting a 45nm quad until late 2008 at the earliest.

Yea I'm thinking I'll wait until late 08/early 09 and maybe upgrade to ddr3/x58?/nehalem. My current rigs are plenty fast, I'll probably just pick up a video card along the way.

The best option for me to upgrade to a quad is when the DDR3 prices are about what the DDR2 prices are now. I'm quite happy with my CPU and RAM now. The cost for that kind of upgrade just isn't worth it now unless you have money to throw away.

Seems the people who hold Intel's chain want to statisfy WS and the shareholders.
A real pity if anand's benches are close to the truth then those 45W 3G quads can't come soon enough.

And once again, this is why it's imperative that there be "comparable" competition in the marketplace -- any marketplace. Because without it, the entire segment stagnates.

This FUD was posted on Fudzilla also. Welcome to the spin zone.

It has already been reported that Intel recalled these models due to high FSB problems. Business as usual with Intel. Did they hire Hector?

It seems that Intel doesn't want to build any more hotels because they are already assuming they will win. Let's hope this isn't true or we will have the same problems with CPUs that we have with GPUs.

Damn AMD....get your act together!! :bang head

I wonder if Intel is actually worried that blowing AMD out of the water might result in some monopoly problems leading to a break up. Rather like Microsoft bank rolling Apple to keep the ummm competition going. I wonder how much AMD stock Intel owns?

Damn its true.

Yes i am affected by this because i was planning on getting it in January. Guess im getting a Q6600

Damn AMD....get your act together!! :bang head

I wonder if Intel is actually worried that blowing AMD out of the water might result in some monopoly problems leading to a break up. Rather like Microsoft bank rolling Apple to keep the ummm competition going. I wonder how much AMD stock Intel owns?

I feel like AMD did well recently, especially with the HD3850/70, but with the errata problems with the Phenoms seems like a lot of the people that might have gone back to AMD aren't since their not living up to expectations and can't overclock much at all.

Did anyone else hear about the IBM 32nm manufacturing news:

December 10, 2007
IBM to Offer 32nm Manufacturing to All in 2009
By Andy Patrizio

Fabless semiconductor vendors will be able to avail themselves to cutting-edge 32-nanometer manufacturing and high-k/metal gate composition with the announcement of a new service from IBM.

Big Blue's service, which will be available in 2009, will provide fabless vendors with a chipmaking process similar to that adopted by IBM and Intel to further shrink transistor sizes.

However, IBM decided to open up the new 32nm process to all customers, starting with its chip development partners -- AMD, Chartered Semiconductor, Freescale, Infineon and Samsung.

Link to full article: http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3715711

And yesterday Toshiba joined in on the project:
Toshiba joins IBM's 32nm process alliance
by Alex Mayhew-Smith
Wednesday 19 December 2007

IBM and Toshiba have agreed to jointly develop 32nm bulk CMOS process technology.

The firms have been collaborating on research related to semiconductor process technologies at the 32nm technology generation and beyond at facilities in Yorktown and Albany, New York since 2005.

The new agreement will Toshiba is the sixth firm to joint the IBM Alliance for 32nm process development.

Might be the hope that AMD needs right now, although 2009 is still a long ways away. B3 stepping Phenoms can't come soon enough, and what about the second half of '08?

Noooo..... there goes my Penryn (T_T). DAAMIT better start making sense now! It looks like Intel is at the verge of being inflicted with Nvidia's bug. And they choose not to.

Intel has already notified its partners that it will push back the launch of the three CPUs to February or March next year, depending on AMD's schedule for triple-core and the upcoming Phenom CPUs.
That is the part that really sucks. This is the ultimate slap to the face. "Yeah, we need not release it today.. or tomorrow. Oh, and if you DO manage to come up with something, the we are leaps ahead."
>.<
AMD, please release a killer now.

This is awful news. I'm not looking to Penryn to upgrade, but to Nehalem. I've got a Qx6800 right now, needless to say I'm pleased with it, but this means an even greater delay for the Nehalem chips. Even worse, it's just more bad news for AMD. I'd like this much more if AMD and Intel were at each other's throats, then we could get some really, really irrational hardware. The more absurd the better!

Argh! I read this news elsewhere, I was annoyed that I'd have to wait til late January as best to upgrade now I'm going to have to wait til at best late Feb and worst March!

Guess I'll have to look for a cheap QX9650 instead of going for a 9450... (I think cheap QX9650 is most definitely a misnomer though...)

poor ol AMD< but your right Intel would have a hard time surviving without its punching bag DAAMIT

monopoly concerns are just part of it, but we all know consumers turn on monopolies and INtel is riding high on our monies, with a valid compeditor intel doesn't look so evil and we don't mind buying from them :D

its all semantics :p

Well ...

That sucks.

I was planning to get a Q9300 in January. I will instead buy the E8400, and wait for the Nehalem architecture to go with Quad Cores. And the E8400 is considerably less expansive, of course, which will allow me to spend more money on other things. After all, I don't think that Quad Cores are fully taken advantage of by games today. Having a Dual Core with such an efficient architecture should suffice until Nehalem.

I feel like AMD did well recently, especially with the HD3850/70, but with the errata problems with the Phenoms seems like a lot of the people that might have gone back to AMD aren't since their not living up to expectations and can't overclock much at all.

Did anyone else hear about the IBM 32nm manufacturing news:

Link to full article: http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3715711

And yesterday Toshiba joined in on the project:

Might be the hope that AMD needs right now, although 2009 is still a long ways away. B3 stepping Phenoms can't come soon enough, and what about the second half of '08?

Good old IBM, authors of incredibly vague, tasteless and particularly bad process design manuals.

Back