• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel newb considering switch from AMD, any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Codeman05

Hey guys,

I've been in the AMD camp since the 1600+ days about 6 years ago. While I still enjoy tinkering with AMD setups, I am considering building an Intel Rig.

Odds are I would use most of the components in the Primary Rig (see sig), but replace the CPU, MB, and RAM. The system runs very well, but I just sold a truck load of old parts that I've been "storing" and have some extra $$$ to play with.

Without going Core 2 Extreme (though tempting), would I see a noticeable increase in performance going to an OCed Core 2 Duo from an Opty 165 @ 3.0GHz? Or should I just wait for the next generation at this point?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

clock for clock a C2D is still 10%+ faster get a 6600 lots clock 3.5+ with out a problem

well a Core 2 duo 6600 running at stock 2.4GHz will match your current system overall. That being said, if you overclock the intel to 3GHz you will destory your current setup, and if you go past 3GHz, well then it's no contest.

well a Core 2 duo 6600 running at stock 2.4GHz will match your current system overall. That being said, if you overclock the intel to 3GHz you will destory your current setup, and if you go past 3GHz, well then it's no contest.

GigaHertzAddict said:

Interesting, might have to check that out, as the CPU seems to be the limiting factor at this point

Codeman05 said:
Hey guys,

I've been in the AMD camp since the 1600+ days about 6 years ago. While I still enjoy tinkering with AMD setups, I am considering building an Intel Rig.

Odds are I would use most of the components in the Primary Rig (see sig), but replace the CPU, MB, and RAM. The system runs very well, but I just sold a truck load of old parts that I've been "storing" and have some extra $$$ to play with.

Without going Core 2 Extreme (though tempting), would I see a noticeable increase in performance going to an OCed Core 2 Duo from an Opty 165 @ 3.0GHz? Or should I just wait for the next generation at this point?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

What a wacky coincidence. I built my first computer about 6 years ago and put a 1600+ in it and, like you, was a loyal AMD man until 2 weeks ago, when I built my first Intel system to keep for myself. My advice: join the dark side. It's fun. I'd get a E6400 and OC it, then ebay it when the prices on the Core 2 Extremes drop. That's probably what I'll be doing.

Pomegranate said:
What a wacky coincidence. I built my first computer about 6 years ago and put a 1600+ in it and, like you, was a loyal AMD man until 2 weeks ago, when I built my first Intel system to keep for myself. My advice: join the dark side. It's fun. I'd get a E6400 and OC it, then ebay it when the prices on the Core 2 Extremes drop. That's probably what I'll be doing.

Hehe, yea this will be the first intel rig since a PII-450 I built way back in the day :haha:

But I have now officially converted back over and should have the new setup (went e6600) in Thursday. Just need to pick up a new waterblock and I should be golden. Can't wait to see the results :D

Thanks for the input

Back