• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Public Broadcast testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YoMatta

Hey guys, been trying to setup my http server and I'm not sure if it's broadcasting publicly and I don't know how to check it.

was just curious if someone would be so kind as to follow this link and let me know if the pic comes up or if it's a broken link? seems to work locally but that doesn't mean it's working =P.

also, anyone know of an easy way to test to see if it's broadcasting publicly correctly? thanks!

http://www.yomatta.com/testbroadcast

Um, not a pro here, but don't you need to link something a little more specific like a .jpg file or .html file or something like that?

The only time I can recall a general link term like that works is if there's an ftp directory at that location.

Just letting my fingers do some thinking out loud....

That doesn't work either. Make sure you have the appropriate ports forwarded in your firewall and router and make sure the server is binded to only the LAN.

first, this is on your home network? If so do you have a static IP or dynamic? If dynamic, does your domain support dynamic IP addresses (like a no-ip domain).

Is port 80 forwarded to your servers local IP?

Can you access your server in our browser locally (by typing the servers local IP in your browser).

amazon10x said:
Also, check that your ISP is not blocking port 80.

almost all ISP's block outgoing port80 so you cant run a webserver off that, but it looks as though you have your own domain name so just go to ur DNS server and change it to like http://your.ip.goes.here:8080/ and then change the port on the webesrver software to port 8080... i thikn you get the drift.

yea i have port 80 forwarded, my concern was also that port 80 is blocked (cox is my isp). yes i have static ip's, i'm more or less following the sticky. have yomatta.com registered with godaddy and it's pointing to zoneedit as it's dns server. got directupdate letting zoneedit know my dynamic ip from cox and got the router forwarding all necessary ports to the static ip.

must be a port 80 blockage issue, just gotta research a bit more on how to make it default to port 8080.

thanks guys!, can't wait to get this thing setup along with my linux mythtv box :beer:

I can't telnet to port 80 on that IP so it is possible that your ISP is blocking it

yea i figured that out, thanks though.

unfortunately i haven't had any time to work with this server as in my free time i've been trying to get my linux box up and running. i like the suggestions that were made, still not sure how to re-route it to work as default port 8080 instead of just 80. tips are welcome on this issue!

thanks guys.

Diggrr said:
Um, not a pro here, but don't you need to link something a little more specific like a .jpg file or .html file or something like that?

The only time I can recall a general link term like that works is if there's an ftp directory at that location.

Just letting my fingers do some thinking out loud....

Most server programs allow you to set up a default homepage, so that anyone asking for www.whateverthesiteisblabla.com gets, say,
www.whateverthesiteisblabla.com/index.html

YoMatta said:
yea i figured that out, thanks though.

unfortunately i haven't had any time to work with this server as in my free time i've been trying to get my linux box up and running. i like the suggestions that were made, still not sure how to re-route it to work as default port 8080 instead of just 80. tips are welcome on this issue!

thanks guys.

You need to change the line in the configuration file that reads
Code:
Listen 80
to
Code:
Listen 8080

yea, i can do that, but does that mean that incoming things will be put on that port? should i NOT forward port 80 to the server? and just forward port 8080 instead?

is that the only change that needs to be made?

When number you have for the Listen directive is the port that should be forwarded. All HTTP requests will be sent to that port. It looks like your ISP is blocking port 80 so you should change to "Listen 8080" and forward that port to your server.

Back