• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to sysprep dual boot OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BUBBLE

I've a requirment to image a hard disk wich is having windows XP and windows 2003 server trial version Os. I want to deploy this image to several other PC's in the network for a classroom purpose. Only problem is the SID which is unique to PCs' I read the article about Microsoft sysprep but wonder how to use it in a dul boot scenario. Anyone done a task like this? Plese share any advise or comments about this matter.Thanks in advance.

You can change the SID using the NEWSID utility, so that won't be an issue. You'll need to use something like Drive Image in order to make a disk image that contains more than one partition, however. I wouldn't attempt to install XP and 2003 Server on the same one (they both use the WINDOWS directory by default).

I've dodged the SID problem before by simply not joing a domain with the master PC before it is imaged. As long as you do not join the domain, you should be fine. Then what would be required would be to start the box after getting imaged, change the name and join the domain.

Thanks guys, I used a software called Paragon drive backup. Manged to sysprep windows XP pro and didn't do anything for the windows 2003 server. Glad to say image deploymetn was fine. Will use that change sid utility to change teh sid in the server 2003. None of them are join for any domain only for the workgroup enviroment.

Back