• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chkdsk goes immediately to 100%. Very weird.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Seems like I have run into this before but I cannot remember if I ever solved it. Maybe someone else has experienced this and can explain what's going on.

I'm working on a client's computer that is running very slowly. It's an older unit but has an Athlon II X4 630. So it should perform decently for office tasks which is the use scenario this client uses the machine in. Winows 10 Home, 6gb of RAM and a 7200 RPM 1TB hard drive with just a small fraction of the space used. It's slow in booting into Windows and after in Windows the hard drive activity LED shows vigorous disk activity for 8-10 minutes after every boot. During this time of course it is painfully slow with major lags in responding to keyboard and mouse input.

I've checked inside and outside of Windows for malware. None found.

I ran CrystalDiskInfo and no problems were reported, though the drive has over 44,000 run time hours on it.

From Powershell I ran "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" followed by "sfc /scannow". No integrity violations reported.

But here's the mystery I'm posting about: I tried to run "chkdsk /f /r" but upon reboot chkdsk started to run and went immediately to 100% completion whereupon the system rebooted into Windows. How weird. Chkdsk usually takes hours. Any idea what that's about?

Right now I'm doing an in place rebuild of Windows 10 home. My thought here is there are damaged system files someplace that sfc /scannow does not check. If this does not fix the issue then I'm going to try cloning the disk. Acronis True Image will post alerts if it runs into data clusters it cannot read so this might reveal what chkdsk could not check.

Well, a possible clue about why chkdsk does not run correctly.

I booted into a Windows 10 rescue environment with the intention of running chkdsk offline.

From command prompt I checked for the system drive letter to make sure I would be choosing the correct drive letter to run chkdsk on. Sometimes the drive letter assignments are different in the offline environment than they are in Windows.

Yes, "C" turns out to be the system drive but when I use the directory command to check for the Windows folders there are none reported! Here's what I see:

X:\Sources>c:

C:\>dir
Volume in drive C is SYSTEM
Volume Serial Number is A44D-CA68

Directory of C:\

03/19/2019 06:58 AM 0 Recovery.txt
1 File(s)
0 Dir(s) 66,764,800 bytes free

C:\>

Back