• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need idea for low wattage peltier chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, I have (well, had) one of those small fridges used for cooling just a couple cans of soda or something, and the other day the fan broke. Considering that the fan is tucked up in a place I cant get to, (past warranty, and its no fan size Ive seen before. Plus, it has the funkiest soldering job Ive ever seen.) I decided to just get a new one (around here they're fairly cheap). But, surprisingly, the peltier was easier to get to then the fan. So, I think its a 50w chip, since the psu of the fridge was 54w (and the fan cant be more then 4 watts). Now all I need to know is what to use it for. I can use it in my rig (600w psu should be able to handle extra load) or I have another 550w psu lying around, so I can use it in other electronics if needed.

It's not going to be powerful enough to cool your rig, you want at least 100W on a peltier if you're going to put it anywhere near your CPU or GPU.

Springbok said:
It's not going to be powerful enough to cool your rig, you want at least 100W on a peltier if you're going to put it anywhere near your CPU or GPU.
I know that much, I know that you probably want 120-130w for your gpu and about double that for your cpu. Just was wondering if it was worth sticking to the top of the case and lowering my case temp 1/2 a degree.

Well, since the idea of giving my case ghetto A/C doesnt seem to be going over to well, and I dont feel like dealing with condensation (After a week or two there would be a block of ice about the size of half a basketball forming, so I can atleast expect a little condensation) what about the idea of one of those cooling plate things that you set drinks on? You know, one of these I know those are usb powered and the one I have is about 10x more powerful but still.

Anything less than 172W for a GPU is a waste of time. You need 300W or more for a processor, and even then, results will not be superb.

Peltiers are extremely energy innefficient, and quite dangerous. They are expensive to run for the results they get you, even moreso when they end up killing your hardware.

You really want to have considerable watercooling experience, and preferably even some experience with proper insulation of a sub-zero cooled computer, before even thinking about using peltiers.

You could conceivably hook that little 50W unit to a small aircooler for your motherboard's chipset...... but thorough insulation of such a thing would be quite difficult, and inadequate insulation would result in a dead motherboard. Not to mention that freezing a chipset on modern motherboards is pretty useless due to IMCs...

Really, if you want to go sub zero, take the compressor from that fridge, do some research, and build a phase-changer.

felinusz said:
Really, if you want to go sub zero, take the compressor from that fridge, do some research, and build a phase-changer.
The peltier IS from the fridge. Im just trying to get some random ideas for it.

there are no practical uses for a pelt that size on your computer. Sit it on an old heatsink, connect it to the power supply from the fridge, and set your can of coke on it.

matttheniceguy said:
there are no practical uses for a pelt that size on your computer. Sit it on an old heatsink, connect it to the power supply from the fridge, and set your can of coke on it.
Ya, I said that in post #4. I have the parts to do it. I have an antec truepower 2.0 550w lying around here and a few heatsinks. Just two more questions.
1. would any of these heatsinks/fans work? (sorry for the bad quality)

heres a pic of the peltier and stock heatsink (cant use the heatsink, no fan for it or mounting hardware. not that I would want to, its horrible quality.)

2. Is it safe to use AS5 on these things? Its all I have at the moment.

Arctic Ceramic is what you want to use, its kind of a community accepted tim for pelts and phase change cooling. AS5 crystallizes when it gets really cold and performs poorly in comparison.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
Arctic Ceramic is what you want to use, its kind of a community accepted tim for pelts and phase change cooling. AS5 crystallizes when it gets really cold and performs poorly in comparison.
Ok thanks. I would be annoyed but I just found out that a mediamart (similar to Compusa) opened down the street. Ill pick some up.

EDIT: I just realized. If Im going to do the whole drink cooler thing, Im just going to use the AS5 on the hot side, not the cold side.

Last edited:
Icedfire101 said:
hmm since you have so many heatsinks lying around you could try and make a personal AC fan
Now theres an idea, especially since my house doesn't have AC.

Crap so I just wasted 25 bucks on a 80W peltier for my GPU. Come on someone please lighten me up.... :( My current idle temps for the vid card is 50°C and 70-75°C on max load. I can't even expect a -30°C improvement ?

It's an old 7600GS vid card and I want to see how far I can overclock it; not to mention it's a good practice installation since if my system does break -- my parts are freakin' old.

One Bull said:
Yeah, but you should get rid of the hot air from the hot side, else you would just add 80w of heat.
saran(spelling?) wrap and a sky light 5 feet away from my chair. problem solved.

And khriez, that might be a problem. Is there a way to return it? Did you get it from frozencpu.com? I would say exchange it if you did. The 245w should be plenty for it.

I decided to go with the drink cooler instead. Picked up a couple of those usb powered fans, and they are ok for 5v 80mm pieces of junk. Just one last question and i know it sounds stupid but I never worked with peltiers before. But I could just stick this onto a heatsink right? The top and bottom aren't conductive? (and Farnsworth, picked up some ceramique to use anyway. the AS5 is beginning to seperate, and I know its probably still good but still...)

Well, I went ahead and put it on the heatsink anyway. Took a pic.
picture015xs9.jpg

2 more questions
1. I took the back plate of an old graphics card to hold the chip on and to make the can/cup a little more stable, but it raises the can like 1/2 cm off the peltier (I think it is aluminum though, so good heat transfer) and the knots from the fishing line i used to tie it on (ghetto, or stroke of genius?) may get in the way (even though I tried a can the size of a redbull and it fits fine). Will either of these be a problem.

2. Even though the psu isnt in the pic, does this look like a fire hazard?

And dont worry Ill set it on something so the fan can get air.

I suppose I understand the gadget calling, but this just cant have any practical use. Also you should put some sort of cup like or basin thing on the top to prevent condensation dripping inside from the cup.

That will transfer heat very poorly. You need something to help it transfer, maybe something in the shape of a can? Or use something bigger than a can and fill it with water?

Back