• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need idea for low wattage peltier chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Also need to think about how to get the water / moisture out of whatever type of basin you use once it starts accumilating. Maybe a small hole on the side that can be opened or closed, but thats probably a bit too gadget-y haha. Maybe easily removable catch?

thideras said:
That will transfer heat very poorly. You need something to help it transfer, maybe something in the shape of a can? Or use something bigger than a can and fill it with water?
I have a some canned air that looks slightly wider then a can of soda. If I wrap this in insulation will it work? as for condesation, Im thinking about it. I might be able to set it in a metal dog food bowl and have the bowl on top of the peltier(yay, more ghettoness ftw).

Just a little update: instead of just water in the outer can, can I use some Thermaltake coolant for a liquid cooling system? Its just that when in the mini fridge, after about 24h, it would have sucked all the moisture from the inside and formed a block of ice at the top of the fridge, and the coolant says its anti freeze and anti rusting.

freakdiablo said:
Just a little update: instead of just water in the outer can, can I use some Thermaltake coolant for a liquid cooling system? Its just that when in the mini fridge, after about 24h, it would have sucked all the moisture from the inside and formed a block of ice at the top of the fridge, and the coolant says its anti freeze and anti rusting.
No, I would not use coolant. You have to drink it sometime right? I wouldn't want coolant anywhere near something I'm drinking.

And no, canned air would work just as bad as a soda can, it has a rounded bottom. You need something that is flat so that the entire area of the peltier is covered.

XeonStrikeForce said:
small 1/8" sheet of aluminium or copper aut to do it.
*sigh* no, that doesnt work. Let me fire up ps and show you.

EDIT: one sec, we had a few calls...

EDIT: I did not take the pic of the can, just edited:

ring.jpg

See the ring, it will only transfer heat through that part on the bottom...the whole center of the pelt will not have contact...therefore, it will transfer heat very slowly.

Last edited:
thideras said:

QUOTE]
I think I know what hes saying, basically make kind of a stand thats rounded on the top for the soda can and flat on the bottom for the peltier.

Please note that this is temporary until I get better stuff but:

Im basically using an old cat food tin and water to keep drinks cool. Even though I dont have any insulation on it it gets drinks down to a drinkable temperature in 1/2 an hour to 45 minutes. I know its not much, but its something and it gives me an excuse to bring a second psu out of storage for other things (like as soon as I get some, stick some sound activated cold cathodes to my sub). If anyone wants me to shut up, tell me. seems like people are getting bored. :(

But, here, let the criticism begin:
pictureou2.jpg

thideras said:

EDIT: one sec, we had a few calls...

EDIT: I did not take the pic of the can, just edited:

See the ring, it will only transfer heat through that part on the bottom...the whole center of the pelt will not have contact...therefore, it will transfer heat very slowly.

*Sigh* You have a gift of pointing out the painfully obvious, I gave him more credit then that.

That has got to be the most ghetto lookin' drink coolers I've ever seen. But still, it looks awesome. :p I would take the 50w tec off and replace it with a 120w one. It would get your drinks a hell of a lot cooler, the psu can handle it, they're cheap as dirt, and any hsf that can cool a P4 or something of the like should be able to handle the heat.

apt403 said:
That has got to be the most ghetto lookin' drink coolers I've ever seen. But still, it looks awesome. :p I would take the 50w tec off and replace it with a 120w one. It would get your drinks a hell of a lot cooler, the psu can handle it, they're cheap as dirt, and any hsf that can cool a P4 or something of the like should be able to handle the heat.
It looks ghetto? good. my work here is done. The only reason Im using the 50w peltier is because it came out of a broken mini fridge, and I just felt like messing around with it. And the hsf came off my x2 4400+ (the 110w one).

'K, so the peltier is being put to good use, what about the rest of the fridge? You could take a crappy PIII or something, or even a cheapo mini/nano-itx mobo, wrap it up in saran (sp?) wrap, chuck it in there, with HDD, optical drive, and psu sticking out, then fill the fridge up with dice. Or, if the fridge has been fixed, break it, then fill it up with dice and pc.

apt403 said:
'K, so the peltier is being put to good use, what about the rest of the fridge? You could take a crappy PIII or something, or even a cheapo mini/nano-itx mobo, wrap it up in saran (sp?) wrap, chuck it in there, with HDD, optical drive, and psu sticking out, then fill the fridge up with dice. Or, if the fridge has been fixed, break it, then fill it up with dice and pc.
Good idea, but sadly the rest of the fridge is at a dump somewhere.

Back