• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

754 newcastle 3200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobcatDan

So I have a dated NC 3200+, clocked to 2.6 GHz (11x at 237 FSB). I've never been entirely pleased with it, as the CPU test on 3dmark03 only averages around 5 FPS, 05 is about 1 FPS, and I can't even run the CPU test on 06 (0 FPS and takes like 30 minutes to finish just the CPU portion). Mind, I bought it 2+ years ago, so when I got it is was high end(ish). Anyway, I see now I can get the 754 3200+ venice for 50 bucks and was wondering if I would see any gain from it. I know others have gotten a bit more OC out of them (2.8 GHz or more), and I know there were many architecture changes, but what seat of the pants gain will all that net me? An aside, I'm about to invest in a x1950pro and if I get the new cpu some new ram (2x1 gig of something that can match the FSB needed to OC the new CPU and keep a 1:1 FSB ratio). My goal is to basically get this comp to last the next year or a little more, and then serve as a good second. I want to wait until the next generation of CPU's and GPU's come out to get a whole new rig. Any thoughts?
Dan

EDIT: I have a Lan Party UT NF3 250GB motherboard, if that makes a difference to anyone. From my current experiences, a good OC MB.

Another question, I just did 3dmark03 cpu tests (1680x1050, all else normal) at 2.6 GHz I scored 638 CPU marks (80.6 FPS on the first cpu test and 9.8 FPS on the second) and at stock (2.21 GHz) I scored 623 marks (78.4 and 9.6 FPS, respectively). Is that all a 400 MHz OC gets me, or does it just not show on 3dmark, or is something else wrong here?
Dan

I am in the same boat.. .thinking about upgrading to 1950... but XT not pro...

I am told I am stupid.. but I have a reason. My mobo has x300 onboard video and if I use a ATI card i can basically run 4 monitors :) IE 2 cards.. So one for gaming and one for video :)

Not sure if I wait for dx10 card that will carry over... so since this is my all around but future HTPC rig I think 1950 is plenty.

You rig however, is 3 sockets old for AMD.. (754/939/940/1207) oh yah you can toss 940 am2 in there too since its differnet then old 940...

i'd upgrade that

Video cards are the fastest outdated thing on a PC... you need to upgrade.. I would go MINIMUM of dual core AM2 (940) board...i would say 1207 but AFIAK there is only one board now and its like 400 bucks.... HyperTransport is the way of the future... intel is trying to compete but is like 5 years behind on this idea. (they have always had sheer clock power on AMD.. and technically if not OCing... c2d is not MUCH more powerful than AMD $ per $) Although still has things like super pi down pat ;)

Always has though :p

Yeah, I know I need to get a whole new rig, but I would really like to wait until the next gen is out (8 cores/45nm process, new GPUs) to do a full upgrade. My goal is to simply make this one last another year (and then some as a second, possibly HTPC), and then upgrade. Any advice on doing that? I'd like to keep costs as low as possible, so while getting a new mobo/cpu isn't out of the question, going c2d is more than I want to spend.
Dan

Last edited:
maybe you should reconsider based on they're upcoming price cuts, i mean 2.4ghz quad core for 266 dollars, if i didnt just get this 3800+ that'd be what i'd buy.

HArd to say man, I would suggest not spending more money on AGP.. since you are saying you have problems with the CPU keeping up with 3dMArk03...

At a minimum I would say 939 with a dual core so you can keep using your DDR RAM and you can find boards that support AGP and PCIE.. but moving up to DDR2 will increase the longetvity of the machine a bit (and DDR2 prices have really fallen :) )

Well, I now have a different problem. For some reason my MB will no longer support a FSB much over 240, I think it's related to switching to a SATA HD. Anyway, that makes getting a new chip a waste of time, and I check the difference in 3dmark scores from 2.2 to 2.6 GHz, and I only lost 110 marks, so I don't think my CPU is slowing me down in games. I may yet try a new graphics card, or I may just hold out for a new rig sometime over the summer. Either way, thanks for the help everyone.
Dan

BobcatDan said:
Well, I now have a different problem. For some reason my MB will no longer support a FSB much over 240, I think it's related to switching to a SATA HD. Anyway, that makes getting a new chip a waste of time, and I check the difference in 3dmark scores from 2.2 to 2.6 GHz, and I only lost 110 marks, so I don't think my CPU is slowing me down in games. I may yet try a new graphics card, or I may just hold out for a new rig sometime over the summer. Either way, thanks for the help everyone.
Dan
switch you HDD to the other set of SATA ports.One set on the nf3 250 gb is only good to about 240 then it starts flaking out.

Probably your best bet would be to go to AM2 or C2D. It's hard to justify sinking money into an AGP card.

Moto7451 said:
Probably your best bet would be to go to AM2 or C2D. It's hard to justify sinking money into an AGP card.

I agree, even as a AGP owner.

Unless the card becomes defective. This late for AGP. It is best to get or start building a PCI-e setup. Even if it is older PCI-e setup to save money on parts. Like for a non-DDR2 rig.

ColtIce said:
switch you HDD to the other set of SATA ports.One set on the nf3 250 gb is only good to about 240 then it starts flaking out.

I thought of that, but when I connect to the other set of SATA connectors (on the different chip, Marvell SATA PHY I think, well that or the NF3 250gb) windows won't boot, freezes right as it starts to load. Didn't bother with it too much, as this chip is basically maxed out as is. I would only care if i went with the venice which I would need to get to 250 FSB or higher. Thanks though!

Thanks again everyone. I think I'll stick with this for a few more months to see what prices do and then upgrade the whole rig sometime over the summer.
Dan

I went from a 3400+ Newcastle @ 2.66 under water to a 3000+ Venice @ 2.7 under water and it performed much better than the Newcastle. Plus the new memory controller on the Venice is far superior to the Newcastle. I even went as far to upgrade to 2Gb of memory. That upgrade held me off till I got this C2D. It may hold you off till the next big Intel cuts or even new chips by both AMD and Intel.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. My plan was to upgrade the CPU and get 2GB of ram that could keep up 1:1 (about 250 FSB give or take), and a new AGP video card. I figured that would be enough to get me through at least another year.

Not so sure though, that would cost over $400 (200+ for the vid card, 150+ for the ram, and 50 for the CPU). That's a damn good start on a new rig. Or, I could go with a medium upgrade (939 X2) which should last me two years or so, for about twice as much. Decisions decisions...

Thanks for the imput!
Dan

I just dumped a 3200 Venice in my AGP machine. If iwas a gamer I would of kind of wasted my money. Since the pickings for AGP are getting harder and harder t ocome by. Least any good prices or upgrade options. Since I do not game. I enjoy the nce 2.8Ghz on air. Right now the egg has the 754 Venice for under 50 right now with free ship.

You coud even consider a used CPU/mobo to start out with. Then you could buy a better parts list later on. There happens to be some sweet deals as folks are migrating off to the newer sockets, The video card will be PCI-e for a while, so that i going to be your largest cost. Least once your on a good setup, you cna look for better deals or keep the vide ocard if you migrate to a new socket.

As an AGP owner who just upgraded his CPU. I suggest look for a PC-e setup. S9cne your a gamer it makes much more sence. (My X850XT PE works just fine for me.)

Back