• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New OC help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

I am new to overclocking and have read quite a bit here as well as other forums.

One thing that I am confused about, are some of the applications used for overclocking. For example, how do you check Vcore? Is this is a seperate utility program? Buried somewhere in windows?

I have seen the sticky at the top of this thread with all of the links to a TON of different utility programs but that is just way too overwhelming.

Can someone direct me someplace where I can get the basic OC/benchmarking type of program necessary to begin overclocking?

Thanks,

Dawgdoc

Hello Dawgdoc,

:welcome: to the Forums and to the world of overclocking!

As you may or may not realize, overclocking isn't particularly done through software (unless you are hardware limited, or prefer not to tinker with BIOS settings). But if you wish to attempt to overclock your CPU through a Windows program, then you might be interested in checking out --ClockGen--. If you want to overclock other parts of your computer such as your Videocard, then you would want take a look at either --ATI Tool-- or --Coolbits--.

As far as monitoring and spec programs go, there are a vast majority out there that do similar jobs. Two of the most popular would be --CPU-Z-- and --Everest--.

When looking into benchmarking programs, you would want to look for programs which stress the overclock affected parts of your computer and programs which would give you a numerical representation of how much your computer has improved. Many programs can be found just by using the forum search tool, but here are some of the most common.

• [*] Prim95 - This particularly stresses your CPU and Memory to determine if your overclock is stable.
    [*] SuperPi - This is a number crunching benchmark which can show how fast your computer can compute SuperPi.
    [*] SiSoft Sandra - This program can stress and benchmark many different parts of your computer. It can also provide you with technical specs of your computer.
    [*] PCMark - This program performs a variety of tests, and gives you an overall score for your computer.
    [*] 3DMark - This program is similar to PCMark, but is meant to measure your Video Card performance.
    [*] Memtest86 - This program helps to diagnose and stress your memory.

The above are all great programs to help you test your overclock, but without first understanding the basics of how to overclock, you really won't be doing yourself much justice. As you are a beginner in overclocking, I would strongly suggest that you go and read the stickies that are found on these forums, including the following:
On top of all of this, you should familiarize yourself with the --Forum Search Tool-- as these forums contain a vast amount of knowledge that would surely help you out. And, if you still have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask, as anyone would be more than happy to help you out. One last suggestion would be for you to post your system specs so that the answers and help that you receive can be more geared towared your own situation.

Good luck!

Raven

Traditionally overclocking is done in the bios, thought some tools are available in windows. Usually windows apps are used to check the overclock, ie- check temps, voltages, speed, etc. But setting it up is done in the Bios

What motherboard/cpu are you using? There should be some apps to check temps, voltages, fans, etc.

Here are a couple of basic apps to check your setup:
CPU-z: Check your overclocking, vcore, memory, etc.
Orthos: Used to max the cpu and check for stability (check temps/etc while this is running)
Memtest86: This is a bootable CD that will check only your memory. It's handle to make sure your memory overclock is stable.

Just hang around the board for a while and see what apps people talk about, then google them and try some out. If you read up long enough you'll get a feel for what is popular and what will work for your setup.

Edit: Dang raven, you pwnd my post.

Well put Raven, you outa save that post and reuse it as the thread contains an often asked question.

Thank you for the information. I have only glanced at it now but will review in detail later.

I fully understand that OC is done with hardware and BIOS changes and not a windows dependant function, but there also seem to be many things that people do within windows after an OC attempt to check settings and stability. Is that incorrect?

To address a few questions posted.

What system am I using? Uggg...I am actually using a prebuilt HP system right now as I learn how to "tinker". After I practice on this machine I have a build on paper for the next system I will put together from scratch (Asus striker extreme 680i mobo, E6600 proc, 2GB corsair XMS2 PC800 ram, 750gb seagate 16mg cache HD, and keep the 8800 GTX listed below)

This is the HP system I currently am using....

HP pavillion 1730n
Proprietary HP mobo...unknown specifics
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ dual core proc
2.0 GB PC4200 ram
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX vid card (aftermarket)
Soundblaster basic sound card (aftermarket)
16X lightscribe CD/DVD drive
160gb Maxtor 8mb cache HD (aftermarket-1st HD crashed on me)

Alot of this stuff I swapped out for the basic HP stuff that came with the computer obviously.

Bios is Award v5.0, but since it is an HP bios I cannot change clock settings/etc....

I have a new BIOS from a company I have found on the internet (http://www.esupport.com/home.cfm) but have yet to install it.

This a reputable company for BIOS upgrades?

And to check Vcore I need the CPU-z program?

I hold the rest of my numerous questions until I have had a chance to review all the detailed content listed above.

This forum is outstanding! I cannot believe the speed and excellent content of the responses.

Thanks!

Benchmarking and stability testing are just as important as the actual overclocking, so yes, you are right. It would be careless (if not dangerous) of a person to overclock without testing after to see if everything is in working order.

As for the aforementioned BIOS upgrade, I cannot speak from experience, so please take what I have to say about it with a slight grain of salt. I would suggest that you stick with a BIOS distributed by HP for that particular machine. HP should have a downloads section for your particular computer, and any updated BIOS files would most likely be found there. Overclocking an HP though, would seem to be a frivolous and futile task, as this type of proprietary technology will not allow you to do so (through the BIOS at least). Your best bet would be to use a software based program such as --Clockgen-- (which of course also depends on which chipset your motherboard is using). As for the posted link, I do not know much about third-party BIOS, but what I do know is that, if it had good success in overclocking computers such as your HP, or even a Dell, in the past, I would have at least heard something about it. I doubt that the BIOS that you have will unlock many (if any) overclocking features for you.

Concerning the V-Core, yes, CPU-Z does display it. In this case, v-core is the voltage supplied to the CPU, and in CPU-Z, it is labeled as Voltage.

As for your other, yet unasked questions, feel free to ask all you want. You might want to also consider posting in other sections of these forums, so to elicit more of a response from members who 'hang-out' in those other sections ;) And don't forget about the --Forum Search Tool-- for quick answers! In a time of need, it can be a life saver as many topics have been discussed in the past.

PS. I am glad that my first post was found useful, and if a Mod or an Admin would like to Sticky that information, I would be more than happy to revise and add to it.

Back