• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Exploits... Instant messengers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
My company is looking to implement IM clients. I really would not what this to happen for many reasons. At home, its ok. But company wide, I fear of an exploit waiting to happen.

Are there any IMC's that are 100% safe? I use Trillian Pro and love it.

Your thoughts...

There is no software what so ever that is 100% safe. Hell, your systems arent 100% safe if you have all the top of the line cisco hardware firewalls with all latest updates and patches and whatnot. Now, as far as the safest i'm client? I would stay away from AIM. Yes, it's the most popular which also means it has the most amount of "bad" people trying to go after it. Trillian may keep you somewhat safer because of it being a third party client so it's not coded exactly the same. Might want to check out gaim also, there is no paid version which would save your company money.

Check out Jabber. Jabber provides enterprise level IM servicing, and I use GAIM to connect to Jabber. Basically, you set up a Jabber IM server (I have a company which offers this) and then you use a Jabber client to connect to the Jabber server. Thus all your communications are kept off of AOL/Microsoft/Yahoo/Googles servers.

Elif Tymes said:
Check out Jabber. Jabber provides enterprise level IM servicing, and I use GAIM to connect to Jabber. Basically, you set up a Jabber IM server (I have a company which offers this) and then you use a Jabber client to connect to the Jabber server. Thus all your communications are kept off of AOL/Microsoft/Yahoo/Googles servers.

I like this idea...

I found this site. Did not do alot of reading yet, but it sounds promising.

http://www.jabber.org/software/servers.shtml

From the look of it, it seems free.

Yep, the software is free(Well, depends on which server software you use). We provide the hardware that it runs on/the hosting so you don't have to manage the server on site. Also do we hosting, bla bla bla bla.

Elif Tymes said:
Yep, the software is free(Well, depends on which server software you use). We provide the hardware that it runs on/the hosting so you don't have to manage the server on site. Also do we hosting, bla bla bla bla.

I downloaded Wildfire 3.2.4. Seems real simple. I'm using GAIM for the clients, but can't get them to talk to each other yet.. I continue to get "Not Authorized" on both sides, yet the server shows that they are.

Make sure that all the settings are exactly right on your jabber clients. Sometimes the clients will go a little cooky if you have even one of the "minor" settings off.

not an IM client but a program for "virtual post it notes" called stickies is a free download, and might be an alternative.

If installed on both machines, you can type out a sticky and send it to someone on the network.

I find it handy to use in our (small) office environment. Its nice to type up a part number or some to-do list and send to co-workers.

If I want to have a conversation, I actually dial their extension.

I'm very tempted to convince our entire(other company) office to move to jabber. Especially since all communication under AIM "becomes" their intellectual property.

Admittedly, I don't think that would hold up in court (What if a ISP declared that all emails passed through it become their IP? Or a Telecom?)

jcw122 said:
Could encrypted IMing be an idea? I know you can do it on AIM.
Again, though, that's not the big *legal* issue. (At $WORK, Infosec did a whole big look into IM'ing some months ago, and we're still trying to resolve the issue.)

The legal issue is this:
Me said:
I would be more concerned with intellectual property leaving the company via the IM system.

Anything transmitted over AOL Instant Messenger, for example, becomes property of AOL.
Although lossage of the IP via some kid with a $30 laptop plugged into a wall jack in your corporate lobby running Ethereal/Wireshark, or some intermediate station, etc.

Keeping it inhouse is really the best thing you can do.

GAIM is really the best out there right now, as far as multiple clients go. Trillian is also good, but I dislike it.

If all the machines are running Windows... this is exactly what Windows Messenger was designed for. ou can allow it to run on your LAN and not have any access to the internet IIRC.

Im not talking about microsoft messenger the NET SEND program and im not talking about MSN messenger the present popular IM client. But Windows messenger it is included on 2k and XP machines.

I am not sure how to go about setting it up on your LAN but I am pretty sure that Microsoft has a tutorial on how to do it. Also your companies proxy can easily disable all ports so that it cant dial out whatsoever. :)

I think you need to have an exchange server setup however...

Well, I'm running Wildfire, but I can't get the clients to see each other.

The users login to the server fine, just show, "NOT authorized" under the users name. I can't imagine it being that difficult to setup. There is not hand shaking between clients.

by the way i am pretty sure that trillian offers encryption if both people have trillian. And there is trillian basic as well that is free. I will see if it offers the encryption.

Edit: Hunh I really thought that it did but I cant find it. This wouldnt be the first time that I have been a little crazy.

edit #2: I see that you can establish a secureim connection with a person on aim. But not sure about jabber. So anytime you have some sensitive info you could just do a secure connection. (not sure how strong it is or if it even works)

some features you may need to take into consideration are logging of all messages and encryption. We use Sametime and I think it has those features to be SOX compliant.

I'm finding that Wildfire really sucks.... No one can offer help and I need to find a solution...

So does anyone know of another IM server solution that, well...um... Works!??

Back