• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which DSLR ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhysX

Looking for at least 10MP. I'm an armature photographer, but wanna get some better pics with a new camera.

Can't Decided between the XTi & 30D, any place i can find sample photos that these cameras took ?

I like to shoot nikon, but canon is nice too. I would say spend less on the body, more on the lenses.

Hmm 400D or 30D... Image quality will be exactly the same 90% of the time. The difference between these cameras is the available settings. 30D has faster FPS, slightly better higher ISO quality and a bunch of random stuff. Technically it is the better camera. What do you plan on taking pictures of?

My personal recommendation would be for the Canon Rebel XT or XTi (350D/400D). Most of the money and quality in SLR cameras is in the lenses, not the body. I'd get the Rebel XT which comes with a 17-55 lens, save some money on body and spend it on lenses.
Buy the camera and after a month or so see what you enjoy shooting the most then start buying lenses to work with what you want to do.
Get a 10-20mm Sigma if you enjoy nature shots or architecture.
For sure get a Canon 50mm F/1.8, its $80 and you will learn all about Bokeh and depth of field with it, amazingly fun lens.
And if you want to shoot animals or stuff farther away get a 70-200 F/4L. Wonderful quality and versatile lens, second best buy in the canon lineup.

After a while upgrade your default lens. After these 3 lenses you will cover all your focal lengths with great glass and have a decent body. If you stick with photography upgrade to one of the semi pro bodies once you feel yourself restricted by the settings offered by the XT/XTi. Better to learn the slightly restricted body and take full advantage of it than start off big and never learn what extra you spent your money on (my guess is you won't need a 30D for a year or more).

Good luck!

PS. here's a nice link.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

.t0aking pics of people landscaping and some architecture and stuff far away

I've heard nothing but good things about Nikon but I have no personal experience with them. From the canon side of the fence it looks like Nikon is better quality than low end Canon and lower quality than the high end/pro Canon.

D80, hands down. The Xt's are way too small if you are someone with normal sized hands. If you are a kid with tiny little hands, then sure go for the Canons. I've always liked Nikon better but Canon does make great cameras as well. The 30D is pretty awesome, especially the one with the kit 18-135 lens, like the D80's. its a nice balance of wide angle, and semi telephoto.

The D40x is a wonderful camera, though because it doesn't have a autofocus motor in it, you can't use lots of older lenses. Not that it would matter as a first camera.

I dont know if you are still trying to decide but I got myself an XTi about a month ago. It takes great pictures. I dont really get the too small thing everyone talks about. I have fatty hands and can work it just fine. It has bigger buttons than a point and shoot so im happy.

Back