• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X2 6000 vs. e6600 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fynanceguy

Registered
I am looking at building a computer for a friend. It will be used for business apps and multitasking.

This computer will not be overclocked, so I was wondering how the x2 6000 holds up against the e6600, both are stock. Both chips look to be around the same price. I heard the AMD boards are a bit less expensive. Looking to save a few bucks overall, so good stable motherboard suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe a motherboard with onboard video?

I would consider a lower speed cpu also.

Thanks,

if you are not overclocking, then you can go really cheap on the intel mobo. if this was in the intel or general cpu section, i would go into more detail, but i don't want to ruffle any feathers in here. ;)

if the price is about the same, i would go with the e6600. if there is a savings to be had, even if its only $50-100, i would go with the x2.

I don't want to ruffle feathers either, but would like to get more detail. Just wondering if I used the x2 6000 if I could get by with cheaper ram and motherboard to lower the cost, since it will be stock.

Did not see any posts in the General CPU section.

Thanks,

Last edited:
cheaper mobo and ram? not likely when running stock speeds. the ram would be exactly the same. the mobo i can't say for sure. i know that there are great OC'ing am2 mobos available for cheap, say around $70, and i know that the cheapest decent OC'ing mobo for C2D's is about $95. with respect to totally stock speeds, you could get by with a $50 mobo for either platform.

If you're looking for a cheap, stock platform I'd pick the following:

X2 4000+ Brisbane $100
GIGABYTE GA-M61VME-S2 $55 (includes nVidia 6100 graphics)
CORSAIR ValueSelect (2 x 512MB) DDR2 667 $57

This system will multi-task and run office apps with ease (unless you're referring to CAD programs ;)). It should even play non-graphic intense games like Civ IV. You could save a little more by running a Brisbane X2 3600+ @ $72 - a little slower but not enough to show up in a business app ...

I thought I saw a x2 5600 (2.8ghz?)for around $169 somewhere. If so I would not mind paying the extra 70 bucks. I think it was the Windsor core though. Just wondering how much of an improvement a Brisbane core is over the Windsor core, clock for clock.

Edit: Looks like my question was answered on a previous thread

Thanks

Last edited:
you can buy cheap mobo's and ram for either platform these days, the "myth" AMD has cheaper mobo's is no longer.

Go with something like the server in my sig, minus the X600 and 320GB HDD, and get a X2 3600 instead. Whole thing (minus windows) cost less than $300. A work rig dosent need alot of power, and going AM2 (or 775) allows for a few years of upgradability.

Oroka Sempai said:
Go with something like the server in my sig, minus the X600 and 320GB HDD, and get a X2 3600 instead. Whole thing (minus windows) cost less than $300. A work rig dosent need alot of power, and going AM2 (or 775) allows for a few years of upgradability.

I am building this for a friend, and she has some cash, so I was looking at building a decently fast computer that will be stock. She works with financial databases, and probably have 5-10 apps open at one time. I hope I never have to upgrade this computer! :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Fynanceguy

In that case you should upgrade the RAM to 2x1Gb. I thought you were trying to build on the cheap. :)

The motherboard w/the built-in video is still a good choice for business apps ...

Well since the prices of the two processors are the same, I would go for the E6600 (you can actually get it for $200 NOW free shipping at FRY'S). Pair it up with a low cost and stable mobo and 2GB of DDR2 and you are good to go. :)

QuietIce said:
In that case you should upgrade the RAM to 2x1Gb. I thought you were trying to build on the cheap. :)

The motherboard w/the built-in video is still a good choice for business apps ...

Yes, cheap meaning no real need for a beefy psu or video card. I would consider a integrated video motherboard (not intel video). Definitely will use 2 gigs for ram.

My friend is looking to spend around $800-$900 for the whole setup. Probably should have started off with this information.

Thanks.

Last edited:
ancalime said:
Well since the prices of the two processors are the same, I would go for the E6600 (you can actually get it for $200 NOW free shipping at FRY'S). Pair it up with a low cost and stable mobo and 2GB of DDR2 and you are good to go. :)

$200 bucks? Please send me the link. That looks like a killer deal for a e6600.

Edit: Found the link in cyberdeals http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4893660 Looks like a Sweet deal. Hope it holds until Thursday (Get paid).

Thanks

Last edited:
Since no one posted something for AMD and this is. For others that read this thread should know. This setup will socket the 4 core procs out this Summer.

175 You could get the 5600
_75 For a good mobo (Biostar 550) or 20 bucks more for SLI
125 for 2x1G of ram. (150 more for a 2x2G set).
-----------------------
375 for a jamming brare system upgrade.

I would spend a little more on the chipset and get a 975. I have a 965 and it's not up to the snuff of the 975. If you are going to buy a bad as5 chip them get a chipset to match.

fynanceguy said:
I am building this for a friend, and she has some cash, so I was looking at building a decently fast computer that will be stock. She works with financial databases, and probably have 5-10 apps open at one time. I hope I never have to upgrade this computer! :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Fynanceguy

I am assuming you are going with XP, if so 1GB RAM should be more than enough for business app multi-tasking, and running some music. Unless the databases she will be using are colossal, 1GB is fine.

IMO if she will be doing alot of multi-tasking, spend about $400 on the computer, and get her 2 19" LCDs (you will need a cheap-o video card for the second video head). I have alot of stuff open when I do my graphic design and website design stuff, and being able to have 2 applications full screen at once is a god send.

Requested thread to be moved for approprately ballanced advice.

fynanceguy, is there a set budget or an estamate for the build?

fynanceguy said:
My friend is look to spend around $800-$900 for the whole setup. Probably should have started off with this information.
/\
Budget shown in previous post.

Back