• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice from a gamer coming from the ATI 9800 pro/ 2500 XP era....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Un-Kut

so ive been using the abit nf7-s/ 9800 pro/ 2500 barton xp combo for like 5 years now LOL... you probably all remember that generation.... now im looking for a new "bang for the buck" rig and have NO idea what in the world is the best Processor/MOBO combo out right now.... but i know that INTEL is now the big boss of performance and am looking for an intel combo... can ANYBODY give me some simple start advice? thanks

batboy said:
I like the E6420 and Asus P5B-Deluxe or E4300 and Gigabyte DS3 if you're on a tight budget.

thanks for the advice, but why specifically those two processors? nothing good in between?

i just built a e4300 w/DS3 comin from the same boat you did. AXP, 9800pro, etc.
im happy. cost around $600 for cpu/mobo/ram/gpu

Un-Kut said:
thanks for the advice, but why specifically those two processors? nothing good in between?

The E6320 is in the middle of those two CPUs.

The E6300 and E6400 line of processors are often thought of the best bang for the buck CPUs right now. The E6X20 line is basically the same CPU as it's counterpart except its a Conroe core and 4MB of cache instead of 2 and for nearly the same if not the exact same price. There have also been some good deals on the E6600 line recently.

I'll pretty much concur with what everyone else said on the processor: E6420. I'll throw the Biostar Tforce965PT board into the equation as well. I had one for about 6 months and it ran very solid and overclocked very well. They do around 500mhz fsb and have little to no issues. The P5B Dlx is a great board as well, but the Biostar can be had for around $89 brand new and $52 open box at Newegg.

If you want to spend a tad more, I'd recommend either the DFI Infinity 965-S or the Abit Quad GT. They offer better performance than the above mentioned boards and both hover around $150.

-Collin-

does anybody know the difference between the P5B-E and P5B deluxe???

the deluxe has a few more features, such as another NIC card and some other random features. if you get the new revision of the p5b-e your are good to go. The older p5b-e's you are limited by memory voltage of 2.1

I agree with all the recommendations in this thread. I have the P5B-E and the E6400. I wish I had an E6420 for the extra cache.

P5B-E is a no nonsense serious OCing board. See rig in sig. I've had it running 3.5 stable in winter, 3.4 summer. It posted at 4ghz once.

Anyway- I had a XP-M 2600+ w/ a 9800pro 256 flashed to an XT. My rig hauls some serious a$$ at FPS gaming. For a video card, get at least a 7900GS!

HTH

off the topic... does anybody know if there are new games to justify getting the 8800GT???

Un-Kut said:
off the topic... does anybody know if there are new games to justify getting the 8800GT???

most of the new games coming out will, current games like BF2 2142 will run awesome on the 8800, FPS are ridiculously awesome

Also what is the budget?

psi said:
most of the new games coming out will, current games like BF2 2142 will run awesome on the 8800, FPS are ridiculously awesome

Also what is the budget?
i guess im not building a "bang for buck" budget after all, LOL...

the parts came out to $1100

Un-Kut said:

make a wish list and save it for public view, i want to see, thats kind of high:confused: Also getting some stuff used isnt a bad idea though the oc forums.

NinjaZX6R said:
I'll pretty much concur with what everyone else said on the processor: E6420. I'll throw the Biostar Tforce965PT board into the equation as well. I had one for about 6 months and it ran very solid and overclocked very well. They do around 500mhz fsb and have little to no issues. The P5B Dlx is a great board as well, but the Biostar can be had for around $89 brand new and $52 open box at Newegg.

If you want to spend a tad more, I'd recommend either the DFI Infinity 965-S or the Abit Quad GT. They offer better performance than the above mentioned boards and both hover around $150.

-Collin-

I am a HUGE fan of Abit and DFI....both have given me great experiences...the abit nf7-s was my first love...I tried many others before settling on that on for my xp 2400m barton. As for the A64 gen. I loved the DFI lanboy ultra 250gb...both of these boards made overclocking a breeze...I went with the DFI this time around, becuase I have read so many great things about it and to be honest I didn't know the Abit quad GT was actually a contender with the DFI p965-s Dark.

Un-Kut said:

As requested a list of the parts you are ordering and the price you are getting them for would be good. Though that may deserve it's own thread in the General Hardware section.

As for games, 8800GTS is more of a future proof card then the best bang for the buck card right now. Games like Crysis and Lost Planet will be making good use of DX10 and the 8800GTS is a nice middle ground in the DX lineup of cards.

treepop said:
I am a HUGE fan of Abit and DFI....both have given me great experiences...the abit nf7-s was my first love...I tried many others before settling on that on for my xp 2400m barton. As for the A64 gen. I loved the DFI lanboy ultra 250gb...both of these boards made overclocking a breeze...I went with the DFI this time around, becuase I have read so many great things about it and to be honest I didn't know the Abit quad GT was actually a contender with the DFI p965-s Dark.

Yep, I had both those boards as well! The NF7-S was my first overclocking board I ever bought and the DFI NF250GB was like it was sent from heaven. Haha!

Anyway, yes the Quad GT is a contender because it offers crazy voltages like the DFI, stays on the 1066 strap like the DFI and is faster than many other P965 boards clock for clock. It's about $10-20 more though. I can't recommend one over the other because I've only had the Abit.

-Collin-

Back