• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Review my E6600 / 8800GTS Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tak

Registered
Just looking for some quick comments on a loop I'm putting together for a C2D system.

CPU...Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 BX80557E6600
RAM...Corsair Dominator 2GB DDR2-1066 TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
M/B...Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
GPU...EVGA nVidia 8800GTS 320MB 320-P2-N815-AR EVGA nVidia 8800GTS 640MB 320-P2-N821-AR
HDD...Raptor 36GB 10K RPM SATA WD360ADFD
Case..Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
PSU...OCZ GameXStream 700W Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W

Here's what I'm looking at for the loop itself.

Radiator.....Swiftech MCR-320QP Thermochill PA120.3 w/ Shroud
Fans.........Yate Loon D12SL-12
Fan Control..Sunbeam Rheobus
Tubing.......Tygon R3603 (7/16" ID)
CPU..........Swiftech Storm D-Tek FuZion
GPU..........Swiftech MCW60 D-Tek FuZion Gfx
GPU..........Swiftech MC8800
Pump.........Swiftech MCP655 DDC-2 w/ Petra's Tech Top

Questions:
  • I'm going to do a T-line so no res or anything.
  • I've noticed a lot of buzz about the D-Tek stuff. Would the FuZion waterblocks out perform the Swiftech products?
  • Would a DDC+ (18W) with the Petra top be plenty for this loop? I'm thinking it'll do just as well and be quieter.
  • Do you think this will be enough air flow for the passive cooling parts? 8800 ramsinks and NB/SB?
  • Would there be a benefit to adding more fans to the Rad? Something like:

[Fan][Rad][Shroud][Fan] or [Fan][Shroud][Rad][Shroud][Fan] <-- Air flow
Below is what I'm looking at for placement inside the Armor. Everything should fit without a problem I believe. Well, I think that's everything. Let me know what you think.

*Not to scale (;))

Last edited:
Found the pic of the valve...

It was JeffnVW who had the valve on his system:

Last edited:
I dont like the way you have the first T, forcing the water to turn 90 degrees. You should reorient the T, so that the flow has a straight shot, with the T pointing down (kinda the same idea as the T fill line, just turned 180). Also, I think fillports and drainports are overrated, just another place to leak. I would get rid of the drainport, and that T altogether. If you use any sort of decent fluid with you closed loop, i think your computer will be obsolete before you have to worry about changing it.

Also, I believe that for the C2D chips, the D-Tek Fuzion is a better performing, highflow, less restricive waterblock. I really like the performance of mine.

Yeah, that first T was a concern of mine. Just an idea to change things up a bit. I'll get rid of it. As for coolant I'm looking at Distilled Water, Hy-Per Lbe, some algaecide, and a little U/V dye for fun. I don't think I'll need to add any pentosin or anything because the Hy-per lube acts as an anit-corrosive. I'll look more into the Fuzions. They seem like a good alternative.

And what's the general consensus on cooling order? Is it best to always hit the processor first?

Last edited:
There is negligible difference in performance concerning the order you hook your loop up in. Just go for whatever uses the least amount of tube and has the easiest turns. I hooked mine up rad --> CPU --> GPU --> pump --> rad. I have a relatively short simple loop, pretty straight runs to everything. Just keep it simple cause the most important thing i believe is high flow. . .

a ddc w/ top would more than service that loop setup, in fact you could add another GPU and NB/SB block into a ddc w/top loop and it would still out perform any other pump. unless you want one of those loud RD things ...but you're just WC a PC, not using it as a sump pump for a basement.

If it were me, I'd try to redesign your loop to use as little tubing as possible. Less water to cool = better performance in any loop. Remember, the water in that T fill line is warm water that contributes to the overall temp/performance as well. I have less that 2 inches of water in my T fill line.

regarding the tube size, 7/16 is easier to work with (3/16 wall thickness vrs 1/4 ) and you can use coolsleeves with 7/16....

Re: fans/cooling...adding all those fans are going to defeat the quiet performance. That rad is designed for low cfm fans and with just those two waterblocks, you won't need anymore than the one side (push or pull) setup. It would be better to mount a single 120mm fan on the side door blowing in on the ram/passive hardware...IMO

Yeah, I was actually thinking of trying to mount the pump somewhere above the rad in 5.25 bays. I'm not sure if there is going to be enough room though with the rad floppy/power buttons, and my DVD burner. It'll probably be better fitting if I switch to a DDC+ which I think I might. I'll have to see when I start piecing things together.

I've got some left over clearflex 60 tubing from another build so I'll use that to measure up what length of Tygon I need. It'll make it easier then guessing I suppose.

I have my second loop pump mounted on the motherboard tray about half way up between the mobo (end of the gfx cards) and the back of the hard drives...dunno if that would work for you. A simple L shaped bracket could keep any pump horizontal if it had to be oriented that way. My T line is just above the pump in this pic...highest point in that loop

Attachments

• bracket2.jpg
    bracket2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 156
Now that I think of it will the MCR-320QP rad be alright once I start OC'ing the C2D? I just thought of it because I was looking at the PA120.3. Plus for an extra $20 I can get the shroud and not have to mess with building my own.

Back