• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Overclocking Amd 5200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coldblood06

Registered
First my spec.

Main Board- Gigabyte Ga-M55SLI-S4- AM2
Cpu- Amd Amt 64 X2 5200 currently 2.61 GHz 2M Cache
Cpu cooling- Salmon Copper CNPS 9500
Ram-Corsair XMS2 Dominators 2GB DDR2 800- timing 4-4-4-12
Graphics- BFG 8800 GTX- timing version

I am completely new to completely, guess you can say i am a noob. But i am Not an idiot when it comes to computers one bit, its what i do. Just have never overclocked before. I want to safely overclock my cpu to at least i hope 2.8 GHz.

My Gigabyte board did come with the easytune utility but as i said i do not want to do what i might regret.

I have done plenty of reading i just don't feel confident without guidance. I know that the ghz is calculated by the fsb and multiplier. My multiplier is at 16and the HTT is at 193.7. Voltage is 1.328(Info gathered from CPU-7).

Any help is glady appreciated.

:welcome:

Manually set the vcore to 1.35 for starters and depending on PSU and mobo you may need to raise it to 1.375. These are inside the AMD ranges so just work with them for now. Ram the same thing, stay between 1.8 and 2.0 for DDR2 later you can raise them when you get used to how the system reacts.

I'm confused how you got the HTT to 193.7 unless thats 1937. Also the multi on a 5200 is 13.
Stock 200 x 13 = 2600, some systems clock a little off which may explain the odd numbers.
For starters you should be able to move the HTT up to 205 and leave the RAM settings alone on AUTO for now. Locate the HT multi labeled as LDT or K8-NB Multi which ranges from 1 to 5 and Auto, set it to 4. We don't overclock the HT as it usually is fast enough. Since you have an 8800, it may be worth doing an HT overclock but not until you know what the CPU can do. Setting those Corsairs to 2.0 should be enough to handle up to at least DDR2-850. You can read more of the thread about backing down on the ram while testing the CPUs max OC.

Now 205 x 13 = 2691 The HT should be a 207x4 = 828. Ram will be 2691/13 = 205 or 820.
do stability tests to see if it runs. Memtest, orthos etc.

Forgot PSU its a 750 Quad SLI certified
-and my bad the multiplier is 13
-and the ht on cpu-z said 193, but yes it is at the default 200
-When you say vcore do you mean the voltage. Mobo is a nfoce chip i know it can overlcock reall good, lots of options in bios.
-Also the corsairs comes stock at 2.1volts but my mobo put them at 1.9, so should i put it up to the 2.1. I think its at 1.9 because thats what my mobo says it supports, but i think there is a bios update for that.

Couple parts i didn't fully understand:
"Locate the HT multi labeled as LDT or K8-NB Multi which ranges from 1 to 5 and Auto, set it to 4."
"...The HT should be a 207x4 = 828. Ram will be 2691/13 = 205 or 820.
do stability tests to see if it runs. Memtest, orthos etc."

Thanks man for the info i really appreciate it.

Hello

Just gonna put in my $0.02 ..
Hope you can get more outta yours with that mobo.
This one is not so good but did´nt buy it for that .
Vcore is set to 1.4 but never get that ???
DDR2 is set at 2.1

Wish you luck !!!

Attachments

• CPUZ.jpg
    CPUZ.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 398
So you saying this cpu doesn't overclock much?

Also did you know that when you take a screen shot you can hold down alt then pres print screen and it will take a screen shot of current window only. :) No editing needed

Not sure First Amd cpu !!!!

I guess from this forum and other´s amd pretty much is hard to get past 3 ghz . I was just hoping to see some better numbers to give maybe a diff idea how to oclock this cpu . It´s my first AMD and not to sure on all the bios settings .

PS I edited nothing I used mwsnap . It´s got a capture rectangle function .

New Post on ghz

Bumped the multi up to 13 kinda iffie , not to sure if it will be stabil ....

Read somewhere else they got a 2.9 ghz post . With air cooling !!

Here ya go ...

Attachments

• cpuz2.jpg
    cpuz2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 402
should do 2.9-3gig on stock cooling, at aroudn 1.4-1.42 volts. Depends on your climate.

2.8 should be a breeze.

Due to the relatively high multi, and RAM is underclocked at stock, you won't need to muck around much at all to get to 2.8

I suggest just doing the following:
UPDATE YOUR BIOS

*LEAVE your ram on DDR800 setting

*LEAVE HTT multiplier on 5x

*set HTT to 216

reboot.

Test for stablility using ORTHOS

if stable for at least half n hour, reboot and try for a bit more (218HTT)

repeat.

when it becomes unstable , i.e fails orthos you've hit the limit for that vcore. So back it off 4mhz HTT and retest stability overnight. If it passes all well and good. You should NOt need a vcore increase for such a small overclock. see how you go.

your'e done.

if you are able/choose to go any higher than 220HTT though, I suggest dropping the LDT multiplier down to 4x. The ram should still be fine though up to around 230, will only be very mildly overclocked, you may like to drop it down to DDR667 setting until you've hit the CPU's limit though.. by now we're well past what you wanted to achieve though

Thanks for the quick reply

Got the newest bios
Vcore set to 1.4 but cpuz and everest always say it´s at 1.344 .
DDR is set at 800 , htt is now 220 ..
Making a 10% oc
not sure it´s pry just the mobo holding me back .
I did memtest86 awhile back on the ddr2 900 settings and all was fine..
Do I need to manually set nb and hyper trans volts to something else or just leave them on auto?????

Liken this AMD .
Fun stuff

not sure i understand to much what you guys are saying for me to do. what should i change? what should be my multiplier (its at 13) what should be my Htt be (its at 200 MHZ) what about my voltage (its at 1.344)

Okay Sorry was Just showin what I put mine at ...

Set Vcore to 1.4 should be no prob .
Cpu multi to x12 or mybe 12.5
and start at 210 , and then keep going up untill it won´t boot or acts really unstable ...

Oh ja loosen up ddr2 , mine is rated @ 4,5,4,15-2t 800mhz(x4) stock
I set it to 5,5,5,15-2t
and it runs super ....

Than just have to play around till your happy.. with mine the ddr2 x5 multi won´t even boot ... more than that i can´t say ...

wow people with the same mobo and cpu as me:) !!

ive got some oc'ing probs myself that im not sure on!!

why have you lowered your multiplier lharp? i thought ultimately it slows down your pc!

im getting 2.797ghz @ 215 x 13 with same mobo (m2a-mvp) and cpu and an arctic cooler pro fan! 44c @ full load! is it vital to change HTT multiplier as i havent bothered but it auto's to 828 on cpu-z @ 2.797ghz and i also leave my voltages on auto and that comes back at 1.31v but as soon as i go up to 216 x13 fsb i get an error within 5 mins on orthos! whilst ive gone 4h30min on 215! will the auto not go up to 1.4v? and is it the voltage thats holding me back??

my mem is set to 400mhz when normal is 333mhz (corsair xms2 5400 @667mhz) and i havent changed any latencies! should i reduce this whilst oc'ing or not?

OK I Think I get it

Just really read the post from above and checked my bios for the 100th time ...
The Vcore still blows my mind thinkin maybe it´s read wrong . As I always get 1.344 idle and 1.312 under load . Anyways with this m2a-mvp make sure to set dram timings to limit not manual or the ram will be overclocked with cpu .. Other than that now at x5 multi cpu 1000mhz.

Thanks for all the help . :beer: :beer:

Attachments

• HT-X-5.jpg
    HT-X-5.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 385
Harp so what did you do to get the 2.8ghz, just change your bus to 218? Thats not it is it? My ram is 2gb of Corsair Dominators at 4-4-4-12, 400 Mhz, and its at 1.9v i believe.

(In BIOS) Ok well i left my multiplier at 13, and put my bus at 218, saved the settings rebooted, POST message said " Over CPU Clock Right NOW!!""Cpu Clock Rate 218MHz", then it stoped and rebooted, then it says Skip over cpu clock 218MHz, boots up to windows and my speed is now 2.5 GHz instead of stock 2.6, and my bus according to cpu-z is 192??????? I shutdown and went to bios and it is still saved at 218 mhz for my bus.

Any suggestions?

Ok well i was stupid not to update my bios, i updated it and i got my cpu to 2.8 GHz, multiplier 14 bus 216.

Attachments

• cpu-z.jpg
    cpu-z.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 349
Good I like that !!

Was 216 all it would let you do ??
I was just checkin your cpuz and you vcore only shows 1.32 ..

Maybe try upping that to 1.38 or 1.4 .

Like I said with my mobo I got my vcore in bios at 1.4 but it always reads 1.344 . I know thats what holding me back .. If I could get the real 1.4 I´m sure 220 would pry not be a prob .. But for now all is good Orthos ran stable for 4.5 hours .... Also are you water cooled .. I Am ..

Here are my temps ..Thinkin Aux is Psu ...

Attachments

• temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 299
If this is any help, these are the results i got on air with stock cooling, can probably get more when i decide to buy a cooler since i had it at 3102 but running too hot.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    87.8 KB · Views: 308
Nice OC Smacdoo

Just a ? but what mobo are you running .. Would really like to know ...
Wish I could mine there...

My CPU multi is x13, HTT multi is x4 with a bus speed of 230 and vcore @ 1.4v and the temp is a cool 39c under full load. If I set the HTT multi back to x5 I believe the HT link is at 1154. This is my first attempt at OC'ing so I'm still playing around with it.
cpu-z.jpg

Back