• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O.C] AMD Ryzen 5 3400G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benyapzl

Hello all!

I just built my rig 2 days ago and I am on AMD for the first time.
I got some question about O.C which i could not get a definite answer on Google.

Q1) I used AMD Ryzen Master software to O.C and see what is the limit i got before transferring it to my BIOS. But currently my CPU runs on 4.05 GHz and voltage of 1.45v. However, i seen many youtube videos or website that some of them able to push higher than 4.05 GHz with a voltage of only 1.375. I am on stock 3400G CPU cooler. Does that affect my O.C result? If i were to change to AIO Liquid Cooling, am i able to maintain a lower voltage with a higher clock?

Result as follows with bench result on Cinebench

1) 3.7 GHz |1.375V | 1811
2) 3.9 GHz |1.375V | 1845
3) 3.95 GHz | 1.375V | 1870
4) 4.0 GHz |1.375V | 1902
5) 4.05 GHz |1.375V | CRASHED --> 86 Degree Cel
6) 4.05 GHz | 1.4V | CRASHED --> 88 Degree Cel
7) 4.05 GHz | 1.45 | 1929 --> 95 Degree Cel

Q2) I am using Gigabyte B450M Aorus Elite Rev 1 motherboard. I want to transfer the values in my AMD Ryzen Master into my BIOS. However the M.I.T does not allow me to enter a fixed voltage. Is there a way around it? Currently, i took the current CPU voltage and do a offset +- to try to fit into 1.45V.

Below is the set up of my rig.

GIGABYTE GA B450M AORUS ELITE + AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO LED 3200MHZ CL16 ( 8GBx2pcs )
CRUCIAL P1 SERIES 500GB NVMe M.2" SSD
CM MWE 550W 80+ GOLD PSU
CORSAIR 280X WHITE RGB T-GLASS

Thanks in advance

A better CPU cooler helps in overclocking when the CPU is under high load. However, this CPU is not scaling well past ~1.4V and if you can't make it OC higher at ~1.37-1.40V then it's simply not worth pushing at 1.45V+ for 50-100MHz max.
This is a 2nd gen Ryzen under a 3rd gen Ryzen product number so these chips OC at about 4.0-4.2GHz up to 1.40-1.45V, depends on luck, cooling, and some other factors.

I have no idea how your motherboard works. I actually have Ryzen 3400G + Gigabyte B450 ITX but I had no time to play with it some more. Probably I will start soon as I have to move this setup into some other PC case.
Anyway, I recommend OC in BIOS and skip all software overclocking. Using both can make things worse. Also, running additional processes causes a performance drop. More or less but it's better to run as few applications in the background as possible. Recently I've noticed that free software which in a magical way multiplied after some Win10 updates, is causing my PC to use up to 10W more, and it only runs in the background, activating from time to time.

I would also add that AMD's recommended voltage for that processor 24/7 is no higher than 1.35v. You may see rather rapid degradation running higher voltages. I would work on trying to get your voltage down as well as some load line calibration at 4.0 and see what you can do with the iGPU as that is also able to be overclocked I believe.

A better CPU cooler helps in overclocking when the CPU is under high load. However, this CPU is not scaling well past ~1.4V and if you can't make it OC higher at ~1.37-1.40V then it's simply not worth pushing at 1.45V+ for 50-100MHz max.
This is a 2nd gen Ryzen under a 3rd gen Ryzen product number so these chips OC at about 4.0-4.2GHz up to 1.40-1.45V, depends on luck, cooling, and some other factors.

I have no idea how your motherboard works. I actually have Ryzen 3400G + Gigabyte B450 ITX but I had no time to play with it some more. Probably I will start soon as I have to move this setup into some other PC case.
Anyway, I recommend OC in BIOS and skip all software overclocking. Using both can make things worse. Also, running additional processes causes a performance drop. More or less but it's better to run as few applications in the background as possible. Recently I've noticed that free software which in a magical way multiplied after some Win10 updates, is causing my PC to use up to 10W more, and it only runs in the background, activating from time to time.

Thanks for your reply. I have revert everything back to auto settings for the time being till i upgrade to AIO CPU cooler.

So, you mentioned "3rd gen Ryzen product number so these chips OC at about 4.0-4.2GHz up to 1.40-1.45V", is that means if my voltage is 1.45 for 4.1-4.2 its totally normal?

From what i see in HWINFO, my stock 3.7GHz voltage seems quite high already. take a look at my screenshot below.

voltage.png

Probably you could take a look at your BIOS M.I.T under advance voltage settings. See whether yours is a offset voltage?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I would also add that AMD's recommended voltage for that processor 24/7 is no higher than 1.35v. You may see rather rapid degradation running higher voltages. I would work on trying to get your voltage down as well as some load line calibration at 4.0 and see what you can do with the iGPU as that is also able to be overclocked I believe.

I did quite a bit of research and i notice my motherboard doesnt have LLC... How else can i go about to lower my voltage?

Ryzen processors have a standard voltage up to about 1.45V. However, under high load auto settings will lower the voltage down to ~1.1V. It depends on the chip, temperatures, and other factors. It's not recommended to run them at constant 1.45V under high load or it may cause faster degradation or in the worst case will kill the CPU. I don't know in detail how fast it's happening but more often there are reports around the web.
Answering the question, yes, 4.1-4.2GHz at 1.45V is normal. It's not the best idea to run it like that but it's normal. On my 1/2 gen CPUs, I saw limits at about 4.0GHz 1.40V or 4.1GHz 1.42V. 3rd gen works more like 4.2-4.4GHz 1.45V (not saying about exceptions that sometimes go past 4.6GHz).

Every motherboard has LLC. Your mobo may not have LLC adjustment but it will still cause a voltage drop under high CPU load.

Ryzen processors have a standard voltage up to about 1.45V. However, under high load auto settings will lower the voltage down to ~1.1V. It depends on the chip, temperatures, and other factors. It's not recommended to run them at constant 1.45V under high load or it may cause faster degradation or in the worst case will kill the CPU. I don't know in detail how fast it's happening but more often there are reports around the web.
Answering the question, yes, 4.1-4.2GHz at 1.45V is normal. It's not the best idea to run it like that but it's normal. On my 1/2 gen CPUs, I saw limits at about 4.0GHz 1.40V or 4.1GHz 1.42V. 3rd gen works more like 4.2-4.4GHz 1.45V (not saying about exceptions that sometimes go past 4.6GHz).

Every motherboard has LLC. Your mobo may not have LLC adjustment but it will still cause a voltage drop under high CPU load.

Oh man... so it a wrong choice to get the AMD chips?

currently i have reverted back to all stock settings. And i tried playing CS:GO on Steam, and my computer crashed twice with dxgmm2s.sys and PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.

Kinda disappointed as i just build this computer 2 days ago only! Not sure if its caused by the integrated graphics in the 3400G cpu...

If you're really into overclocking just for the giggles then Ryzen is not the way to go since there is little headroom to overclock them and since the performance benefits are minimal. But if you want a fast, capable CPU out of the box running on factory default settings then Ryzen is an excellent choice. AMD's native, complex power management scheme is hard to beat.

Seems like those blue screens are driver related based on a very truncated google search. Were you overclocked when you installed drivers? Probably need to remove the drivers and re-install. If that doesn't work then you should use a program called DDU (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) to remove the display driver and re-install it.

It seems like your expectations are not consistent with what you got, but really a couple hundred MHz is not going to be a night and day difference. I would expect like most AMD CPU's you'll get the best performance on stock settings. Also the stock cooler is not helping things if you really want to OC, but again those voltages are not good for the CPU, so unless it's for fun there's not really a point in going there.

I am seeing crazy prices for the 3400G right now, if you paid hundreds of dollars for this CPU it was a mistake, this is meant to be a budget part. Also in terms of gaming, I would not expect a lot, CS:GO at 1080p will be great, and the vega11 graphics will definitely outperform any other integrated graphics on the market,.

Oh man... so it a wrong choice to get the AMD chips?

currently i have reverted back to all stock settings. And i tried playing CS:GO on Steam, and my computer crashed twice with dxgmm2s.sys and PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.

Kinda disappointed as i just build this computer 2 days ago only! Not sure if its caused by the integrated graphics in the 3400G cpu...

AMD is actually a better option than Intel nowadays ... for pretty much everything. Mentioned degradation is happening in all CPUs, depends on voltages, temps and other things. I actually sold most Intels that I had and I'm using AMD for gaming and additional tests.

I was going to say what Woo said. The latest Intels are no better from an overclocking perspective. All the newest chips are pretty much maxed out from the factory. It's not like the old days.

But I read intel issint good for O.C too. I remember back in the days about 15 years ago, AMD has overheating issues. But I though it has improved over the years, so I decided to get a 3400G just for the fun of it.

Yup, I revert back to stock and reinstall all the AMD graphic Drivers. Then I went to tried CS GO in medium and Low setting. Totally no issues and smooth game. Then I tried to change to high again, it crashed immediately with another BSOD of “Memory Management”

Other then that, normal usage I have totally no issues. It’s only the game part.. wondering if I should just get a mid range graphic card instead.

I think I shouldn’t even tried a APU lol. Should have gone for 3600 at least

Anyway, I just ordered the Corsair Hydro Series H100i RGB Platinium AIO. Then I will try O.C again.

I think you will still be frustrated trying to overclock even after you get the H100i. What the water cooler will more likely help with is allowing the individual cores operate higher within the stock turbo range for longer periods.

The 3400G was never marketed as a solution for high end gaming. There is to date no APU, AMD or Intel, that will give that kind of performance, overclocked or not.

It depends on what games you wish to play. Sure the APU can get by for some light use and lower settings and resolutions, but no it's not a GPU substitute.

The 3400G is an economical option for those wanting a good general purpose CPU and are casual gamers.

Most games still can't use more than 4 threads. I will check soon if I can run games that I play on the 3400G as its clock is not much lower than the 3900X during typical load while in most games I see ~25-30% CPU load on the 3900X. I just wish something lower power as the PC runs 24/7.
As I mentioned, I have Gigabyte B450 Aorus ITX and the 3400G but I was barely using it because of lack of time. I will probably back with some OC results but I'm not sure if OC has any point in this case.

Re LLC. On my Aorus B450 ITX there is LLC option in Advanced Voltage Settings. Not sure if your motherboard has it too.

I'm not sure if it's going to make you feel better but I'm testing my 3400G right now and at auto settings, it runs at about 4.05GHz under load (hwinfo64 shows up to 1.425V) while manually I can't make it run stable at more than 4.1GHz.
I've noticed one thing. I was able to set it at 4.1GHz with manual 1.45V or at 4.1GHz but voltage at auto and voltage was between 1.415-1.440V.

Last edited:
I think you will still be frustrated trying to overclock even after you get the H100i. What the water cooler will more likely help with is allowing the individual cores operate higher within the stock turbo range for longer periods.

The 3400G was never marketed as a solution for high end gaming. There is to date no APU, AMD or Intel, that will give that kind of performance, overclocked or not.

i see. okay, what if i get a midrage gfx card like GTX 1060 8gb? will it help? so i totally just disregard the intergrated graphic... lol i know thats stupid. did not do a proper research before buying :(

Most games still can't use more than 4 threads. I will check soon if I can run games that I play on the 3400G as its clock is not much lower than the 3900X during typical load while in most games I see ~25-30% CPU load on the 3900X. I just wish something lower power as the PC runs 24/7.
As I mentioned, I have Gigabyte B450 Aorus ITX and the 3400G but I was barely using it because of lack of time. I will probably back with some OC results but I'm not sure if OC has any point in this case.

Re LLC. On my Aorus B450 ITX there is LLC option in Advanced Voltage Settings. Not sure if your motherboard has it too.

I'm not sure if it's going to make you feel better but I'm testing my 3400G right now and at auto settings, it runs at about 4.05GHz under load (hwinfo64 shows up to 1.425V) while manually I can't make it run stable at more than 4.1GHz.
I've noticed one thing. I was able to set it at 4.1GHz with manual 1.45V or at 4.1GHz but voltage at auto and voltage was between 1.415-1.440V.

haha! definitely you will make me feel better, with you give me a result on it.

yes. same for me.. 4.05GHz @ 1.45V.. which i think can push till 4.1GHz @1.45 which is the same as yours.

precisely.. I dont understand why gigabyte make auto voltage.. and does not allow us to set fix voltage...

so lets say, you set to 1.45V, and due to offset voltage, it fluctuates at 1.415-1.440, will it crash the PC at load?

This is my advance voltage page..
photo_2020-05-01 23.59.26.jpeg

Last edited:
More and more games are in fact able to use more than 4 cores. The current recommendation of the enthusiast community is that new CPU purchases should be made with six cores in mind.

A mid range discrete gpu added to the system would likely give you some improvement. By, the way the GTX 1060 series has 6gb of vram, not 8. But to be sure your money counts as a significant upgrade and not just more of a side step, I would go with the Rx 5600x or the GTX 1660, depending on whether your monitor is Freesync or Gsync compatible or both. If both, either card would get you significant improvement in GPU intensive games.

Just to share an update.

My Corsair H100i RGB Platinum arrived and got it up and running.

My overclocking results seems not too bad.

At Idle : Temp @ 30-38 degree C (on stock cooler is 38 and higher)
Overclocked : 4.15 GHz at 1.45V
Max load : Temp @ 58-65 degree C

I tried push to 4.2 ghz @ 1.45v which is AMD 3400G max boost but crashed on cinebench.. didnt want try further..

but my cinebench results only 1933.. any idea if i add a GPU, does it help in my cinebench scoring?

Cinebench benefits from cores and threads. Adding a GPU will not impact the score.

Cinebench does not use he GPU to render. Realbench does, however.

Back