• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2D acceleration needed I think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

H2

When I scroll down on an internet page by pushing the center button of your mouse down so you have a smooth scroll down as you pull the mouse to you my screen has always been choppy. Its like the scrolling is only able to do
10 fps or something.

I have a 8800GTS video card. Is this because my card doesn't have 2D acceleration?

Would a card like a Quadro work for this better?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133191

hmmm....

well.. if your getting those fx, then id say maybe you need to install drivers.. #### i fell like a noob saying this, but dam, thats what i see right after i install windows, before i install drivers. xp woont do it for you..

I have 97.92 Drivers installed, thats not the problem. I get 100+ Fps on Battlefield2 with everything maxed.

It is similar to when you first install Windows XP before you install your video drivers but not nearly that bad.

It would just be nice if scrolling in 2D on the internet was as smooth as gaming.

I remember in the old days of Dos that some of the Diamond cards were fast in 2D but not in 3D.

Just open up your browser and go to Yahoo.com

Now push your middle mouse button down till it clicks and turns on the scrolling.
Now as you scroll down you will see the flickering of the print as the page jerks its way down.
It does this on all 4 of my computers and every one I have ever seen.

Is it not possible to get the page to scroll down like the print on the opening scene of Star Wars as the print scrolls up.

That's what I'm talking about.

H2 said:
Just open up your browser and go to Yahoo.com

Now push your middle mouse button down till it clicks and turns on the scrolling.
Now as you scroll down you will see the flickering of the print as the page jerks its way down.
It does this on all 4 of my computers and every one I have ever seen.

Is it not possible to get the page to scroll down like the print on the opening scene of Star Wars as the print scrolls up.

That's what I'm talking about.

Lol. It's smooth on mine. Not the slightest bit of flickering. Nothing even if I go full speed.

That is a sad situation you are in.

Also, all video cards do full 2d acceleration. Even my lowly 6200TC is light years beyond what is necessary for 2d. The only times I have ever seen the screen jerky like that is when there is a lot of spyware on that particular computer or the computer is very slow by today's standards.

Last edited:
H2 said:
I have 97.92 Drivers installed, thats not the problem. I get 100+ Fps on Battlefield2 with everything maxed.

It is similar to when you first install Windows XP before you install your video drivers but not nearly that bad.

It would just be nice if scrolling in 2D on the internet was as smooth as gaming.

I remember in the old days of Dos that some of the Diamond cards were fast in 2D but not in 3D.

Try the 158.** drivers.

smooth scrolling

If you were using a CRT, it kinda sounds like a vsync issue. Since you aren't, it sounds like a browser setting.

Some browsers have a "smooth scrolling" option that syncs the scrolling at the cost of additional computer power to avoid flicker, you may have that setting turned off. Turn it on.

Robert.

Well thanks guys for all the different things to try. None work so far.

I put the 158.xx drivers on, exactly the same.
I checked in Tool, Internet Options, Advanced and smooth scrolling was checked.

I guess I'm just too picky. It is very easy to read using the vertical scrolling of the mouse, just not like a movie text scrolling.

It is the exact same on all of my computers even my oldest XP-1800 with a built in video card, no better and no worse than my 8800GTS. Wierd!

If I move the entire page around on the monitor its perfectly smooth, just not while scrolling as in reading a web page.

Thanks for help anyway guys!

Back