• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD-Ready

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm going to upgrade for a NEC widescreen. But I can't find any screens being HD-Ready.

What do you mean by hd ready, being able to support 720/1080 over component? Or are you just wanting to display hd content off your computer?

one of my rigs has a sceptre gamer 20.1 widescreen... at the top of the panel it says "1080i/1080p HD mode ready"

Mr. Roboto said:
What do you mean by hd ready, being able to support 720/1080 over component? Or are you just wanting to display hd content off your computer?

I have no idea. All Tv screens are advertising today that they are HD-Ready. With that they can watch HD-DVD's and Tv channels that are sending HD signals. My video card says it can handle HD but for what effort if todays monitors don't seem to do that. Games like GOW on XBOX 360 it is a HD game. Will I be able to play games like this if I had connected the XBOX 360 to let say NEC 20.1 widescreen game edition monitor. And would I be able to watch HD-DVD's?

nicoliani said:
I have no idea. All Tv screens are advertising today that they are HD-Ready. With that they can watch HD-DVD's and Tv channels that are sending HD signals. My video card says it can handle HD but for what effort if todays monitors don't seem to do that. Games like GOW on XBOX 360 it is a HD game. Will I be able to play games like this if I had connected the XBOX 360 to let say NEC 20.1 widescreen game edition monitor. And would I be able to watch HD-DVD's?

You're using some broad terms. Computer monitors themselves have been able to accept resolutions greater than 'HD' since the early 90's. The hype of HDTV's has mainly been marketing. It depends entirely on the inputs the monitor has vs what outputs your device has.

The standard for monitors use to be the standard 15-pin VGA cable, but the industry has recently adopted DVI for computer monitors. This makes it nice because many 'HD' devices output HDMI which can be converted to DVI.

'HD-Ready' is a very vague term. Don't bother looking for anything 'HD-Ready.' Just look for the inputs you need. If you need a monitor with component inputs and HDMI, then choose a monitor with those inputs.

basically. You can almost say "HD READY" is a big fat scam. (not quite, but let me explain a bit)

the term "HD" comes from watching something on tv with a specific amount of resolution. I believe it is 1024 x 768? (sum1 correct me if i'm wrong) As Bios24 said, computer monitors have been able to do this resolution for a long long long time.

Then why does everything revolve around the term HD capatible you say?

Simple, since people have begun to develope tvs, making them larger, etc. People are beginning to find that the image produced by the tv is not very good. This is largerly due to the fact that the tv is now 40 inch + with still only the crappy resolution of 640 x 320? (once again these numbers may not be correct) Since the tv is getting larger, but the resolution is kept the same, the image produced is of lower quality. As a result, higher resolutions became the solution, and the term "HD" was created. Since this new "technology" was created, the marketing team obviously needed to expand on it, to get mroe money. So that is pretty much why everything has the word "HD ready" on them, or that is why the basic consumer may want to ask the question you just asked.

Now back to your question. Yes any monitor should be able to display w/e you want, concidering you have the proper plugs.

not entirely true. Sure, if you're playing something back over computer, yeah, it just needs to support the resolution. If it's over component or something, then the monitor needs to support 720p or 1080p. For example, my 1920 x 1200 display has enough resolution to display 1080p, but doesn't support it over component.

If your monitor have DVI-D inputs and those DVI-D inputs support HDCP then your screen is the same as being HD-Ready. HD-Ready sticker is just a marketing tool that cost to use.

nicoliani said:
If your monitor have DVI-D inputs and those DVI-D inputs support HDCP then your screen is the same as being HD-Ready. HD-Ready sticker is just a marketing tool that cost to use.

No, it's not. Did you read what I said about component inputs?

Back