• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LDT and Chipset voltages on DFI-D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

I think I have an idea, but I just want to clarify.

So how does adjusting these two voltages affect OC'n? I have them both set to the lowest voltages ATM and have never moved them.

--pak

pak said:
I think I have an idea, but I just want to clarify.

So how does adjusting these two voltages affect OC'n? I have them both set to the lowest voltages ATM and have never moved them.

--pak

Pak,

What is your LDT set to? I have volt mods done with provisions to check them via DMM on this board unlike your nicer DFI board and this Asrock defaults at ~ 1.215. I was told the NB may need more voltage on higher overclocks and I'm set now to ~ 1.280-1.300v. I don't know the technical reasons why the NB may need more voltage on higher overclocks.

They are both set at default which are the lowest voltages possible. 1.2 for the LTD and 1.5 for the chipset if I remember properly.

--pak

pak said:
They are both set at default which are the lowest voltages possible. 1.2 for the LTD and 1.5 for the chipset if I remember properly.

--pak

And no problems at all? If not, don't knock success and nice overclock. The only issue I had was adjusting it the wrong way once and the NB voltage dropped to less than 1.5v and the computer warm booted. Once I turned the adjustment the right way, it was fine.

pak said:
Well I am looking for more success if possible.

--pak

OK, on the advice I was given, you may want to kick it up to 1.26 - 1.28 if you want to go higher. I appear to have plenty of NB voltage at the mild overclock I have now. I have never tested to see where it would shut down, I just kicked up the voltage to where I am now.

Keep in mind I'm checking with a DMM, your DFI board readings probably won't be less than what you set it to without a DMM check. I'm on standard cooling and the NB doesn't get hot at all here.

But increasing this voltage will do what? Allow higher FSB? HT link?

--pak

pak said:
But increasing this voltage will do what? Allow higher FSB? HT link?

--pak

Pak,

I don't know the technical reasons but it would be safe to assume it's the same as upping vcore and vdimm to overclock higher when you need to. It appears to me that at some point the NB voltage needs the same.

RollingThunder said:
Pak,

I don't know the technical reasons but it would be safe to assume it's the same as upping vcore and vdimm to overclock higher when you need to. It appears to me that at some point the NB voltage needs the same.

I'll cuncur. The LDT & Chipset voltages are for stability, incase you reach a certain point the oc becomes unstable. This will not work in evry case, but in some cases in does. :cool:

Nebulous said:
I'll cuncur. The LDT & Chipset voltages are for stability, incase you reach a certain point the oc becomes unstable. This will not work in evry case, but in some cases in does. :cool:

Thank you, but can you elaborate? Just OC stability in general? I have ran 2 chips on the mobo. A 3700+sandy and the current 4200x2. Both seem to OC the same. So I am hoping that by playing with these voltages I can get a higher OC.

I guess I could just raise them slowly one by one and see what happens.

Before I do this, just to verify. Chipset is the NB temp(The thing that is covered by my GFX card) and raising the LTD will raise what temps?

--pak

pak said:
Thank you, but can you elaborate? Just OC stability in general? I have ran 2 chips on the mobo. A 3700+sandy and the current 4200x2. Both seem to OC the same. So I am hoping that by playing with these voltages I can get a higher OC.

I guess I could just raise them slowly one by one and see what happens.

Before I do this, just to verify. Chipset is the NB temp(The thing that is covered by my GFX card) and raising the LTD will raise what temps?

--pak

Pak,

When you raise any voltage, temps usually increase too, especially the CPU. I don't know the layout of the DFI boards but my board has adequate room around the NB to stay fairly cool. From what I understand, the NB temps are usually not a big concern unless you are really into a high overclock. Giving it a little more voltage shouldn't hurt a thing (~1.250 - 1.275 or so). I really never tested NB voltage requirements for my mild overclock, I just kicked it up as suggested.

I have been to 2688 MHz on 1.280v VLDT NB voltage and it was warm but not hot. I'm not using active cooling except the default CPU cooler and a slow 800 rpm fan on the RAMs. I probably don't need the latter but I use it anyhow.

Keep in mind that I only use a mild overclock so temps are not a major issue with my rig. If you raise the VLDT voltage a little before overclocking, it should take that factor out of the equation.

I know the DFI boards come nicely equipped for all this and you might even have a fan on your NB heat sink, I don't know. If so, you should be just fine. These DFI guys here are pretty sharp so if I'm in error, they'll jump on my case! :p

Back