• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ever Bought 2 Seperate Modules?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever bought say 2GB of memory but as seperate modules like purchased 1GB module then another at a later date. And if so have you experienced any problems with it cause they say in motherboard manual's you should purchase kits.

I have always wondered if it could work purchasing 2 modules but with the same timings, cas etc is there a bigger chance of failure. I purchased the GEIL 2GB kit as I didn't want to try it myself but was wondering if anyone else has in the past.

Yeah....i bought two seperate cheapo 1Gb sticks off ebay and they seem to be fine and OC quite well cosidering how much i paid for them.....clocks in sig.

Mine have the same timings and speeds and everything but diff manufacturer....i wouldnt be surprised if they were exactly the same lol.

i have 2x512 from different companies and bought at least 8 months apart and they play nice together. i wouldnt recommend it, but it should work.

I have done it as well. I had some Crucial and Corsair mixed in on one of my Athlon XP setups in the past.

I just bought 2 x 1GB (non-kit) for a laptop because it was cheaper than the 2 x 1GB kit. Same brand and everything, just not the kit. It should be here today.

They didn't used to offer kits, BTW. The exception was the big boys like Sun, Compaq, HP, etc. in their server and high end workstation lines.

So would it be alright for my friend to get a GEIL 1GB module for now he don't even play any games hardly and he's currently using a 256mb PC2700 module. Which I believe is faulty cause if he puts anything extreme on it, it will reset his PC and reboot XP again I am thinking it's hitting a bad memory address or something.

AngelfireUk83 said:
So would it be alright for my friend to get a GEIL 1GB module for now he don't even play any games hardly and he's currently using a 256mb PC2700 module. Which I believe is faulty cause if he puts anything extreme on it, it will reset his PC and reboot XP again I am thinking it's hitting a bad memory address or something.

If you really think it's memory related, you should have your friend test his memory with Memtest86+
http://www.memtest.org/

should be able to mix and match no probs - iv bought multiple clumps of ddr1 in the past as seperate sticks....never had any conflicts as long as speeds are the same....

AngelfireUk83 said:
I was just wondering if anyone here has ever bought say 2GB of memory but as seperate modules like purchased 1GB module then another at a later date. And if so have you experienced any problems with it cause they say in motherboard manual's you should purchase kits.

I have always wondered if it could work purchasing 2 modules but with the same timings, cas etc is there a bigger chance of failure. I purchased the GEIL 2GB kit as I didn't want to try it myself but was wondering if anyone else has in the past.
There is not a bigger chance of failure no but I recommend at least getting the same type of chip when you get the second stick. I.e. if you get a d9gmh, get another with the second stick. Doesn’t necessarily have to be the same ram company, just the same type of chip.

if the two seperate sticks are the same brand and spec, it should dual channel up nicely. I even had managed to run a 1GB crucial ballistix stick with a 1GB OCZ Gold stick without any issues - they were similar spec so it worked ok

yup 1 ultra and 1 one i forget the brand. pc 3200 ddr400

i put the orginal stick in slot 1 then the ultra in slot 2, worked fine. then i decided i wanted it to be in slot 3 for cooling reasons and it said dual channel(first time i heard of that.) it worked as well as before but when i played and source games.) then i changed the stick around so that ultra was in first and orginal was in 3rd slot. then it said dual channel interleveled and it works with source games.

Well he's ordered a GEIL Value 1GB DDR module from MicroDirect.co.uk he'll get it tommorrow I have used GEIL memory since I 1st my Athlon XP machine. It's great memory and it can overclock very nicely thou I haven't tried to on my939 rig I've no need.

We'll have to see what happens when he installs another module will keep ya posted.

Back