• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend fan for Ultra 120 extreme please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morvak

Disabled
Not sure which 120mm fan to get for my thermalright 120 extreme?

1 to 3 recommended fans would be appreciated.

tia!

I just got mine setup yesterday with the Skythe S-Flex "F" fan. There is a longer name that is more of a part number, but I can't remember it.

the fan itself is very quiet and keeps my temps decently.

I am not particularly knowledgeable about fans, but i can make some basic suggestions. Panaflo's and Delta's from Sidewinder Computers

What fan you use is going to be dependent on what sort of noise level you are willing to accept. In my review here, I found that bigger/louder fans will get you better performance.

Personally, I'm partial to the Panaflo M1 with a fan controller. I've heard good things about the Scythe series, but don't have one personally. The good thing is they come in multiple varieties so that you can choose an acceptable sound level.

That is a very impressive review there Navig!

I'd vouch that the Skythe F fan, the loudest they have, is still the quietest 120mm fan i have ever owned (Lian Li Case fans are close, Panaflo M1 is louder).

I'm going to be RMAing my motherboard, but I think that when I get my M1 and test it out on my U120X.

Im a bit confused. There are fans that push more air, that are louder. Wouldent those be best for this kind of heatsink?

mikep7779 said:
Im a bit confused. There are fans that push more air, that are louder. Wouldent those be best for this kind of heatsink?

If you don't mind the noise, sure. I wont be happy until I get to the point where I can't tell if my pc is on or not unless I stick my head in the case.

I use a JMC 120mm fan because it has PWM and can be controlled by Asus Q-Fan. It works fine; ramps up and down about 800RPM-1700RPM with load. It's quiet to my perception. CPU temps run low 50s (and down) at load.
(I couldn't get Q-Fan chassis fans to ramp at all.)

eternaljammer said:
I like mine to sound like a jet engine.:attn:

i can't deal with loud computer's, i was just watching a movie on my friends computer, i had to turn the volume to ~40% before i finally couldn't hear the thing. now on my computer with the volume muted and i couldn't hear it, gotta love water cooling.

I'd suggest a yateloon.

How is the Scythe SFF12F in terms of quietness at full speed compared to the P180 stock Antec fans at full speed? Are they about the same and how are they when slowed down when using a fan controller?

Back