• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New IP35 System [56k warning]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brint

Classic Senior Dude
Hi fellow overclockers, now the time has come for building my new main rig :beer:
I have chosen the following components.

Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro
CPU: Intel Xeon 3060 (2,4Ghz)
Graphics: Inno3D 8800GTS
Memory: G.skill Extreme Series 2 x 1 GB F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
Cooling: Water cooling with Swiftec Apogee GTX.

I haven't received the memory yet, but the rest of the parts have been assembled. I am currently leak testing the water cooling setup, and by tomorrow, when the memory gets here, I will be booting it up and do some testing.

Here are some teaser pictures :clap:

PICT0125.JPG

PICT0126.JPG

PICT0127.JPG

PICT0137.JPG

PICT0140.JPG

PICT0142.JPG

PICT0145.JPG

PICT0154.JPG

UglyChild said:
Nice Rad dude.

But Xeon CPU for gaming? OR you dont game at all?

The Xeon runs just as well as the standard C2Ds in games. He's using the S775 variety and not the S771 ;). I think the S775 Xeons overclock pretty well too.

UglyChild said:
Nice Rad dude.

But Xeon CPU for gaming? OR you dont game at all?

The Xeons are pretty much the same as the standard Core 2 Duo's. I have heard that the Xeons run a little cooler and requires less voltage when overclocked. I am planning to take this baby all the way up to 500Mhz FSB.
Also two of the harddrives will be raided using Intel Matrix technology, so I am hoping for a boot time below 1 minuet. Speaking of boot times, since I am planning on installing vista x64 on the system, I was wondering if any one has some experience with the Readyboost feature that comes with vista. Is it any good?

My memory haven't arrived yet, so it may or may not come tomorrow :bang head
If it comes tomorrow I will post some results, if not I wont be able to do any testing before next weekend :(

Update

Well I finally received memory, those BHZ sure look's nice :)
The system is now together, but I am missing my Vista64x installation cd.
So there will be no benchmarking and good stuff like that before next weekend. I will post in this thread when I have installed Vista.

Looking good man. Are your hard drives suspended, or is that just for airflow? If they are suspended, does it combat the noise of four drives well?

roy_o_banion said:
Looking good man. Are your hard drives suspended, or is that just for airflow? If they are suspended, does it combat the noise of four drives well?

Yes, all four are suspended in the cabinet. I must say that it helps a lot to combat the noise. I use to have five drives which was not suspended and the difference is very notable. It is an expensive modification, but in my opinion it is worth it. That and rubber mountings for the fans and power supply is a must when trying to reduce the noise from the computer.

What kind of cooling loop is that brint? That looks very nice. I'm anxious to see your results. I just ordered a Abit AB9 QuadGT though. I'm moving from an aging S939 system, so I don't need the P35 chipset just yet. But if I do in the future, I'll definitely be looking Abit's way. Do you not have an XP CD laying around?

SuperDave1685 said:
What kind of cooling loop is that brint? That looks very nice. I'm anxious to see your results. I just ordered a Abit AB9 QuadGT though. I'm moving from an aging S939 system, so I don't need the P35 chipset just yet. But if I do in the future, I'll definitely be looking Abit's way. Do you not have an XP CD laying around?

The watercooling setup is made from a car radiator, plastic reservoir with a water capacity of 15 litters, Eheim pump and my new Swiftec Apogee GTX cpu cooler head. I made the kit about 2 years ago for my old main rig, see sig.

I do have an Xp cd laying around, but Abit didn't include a disk with the harddrive controllers on, only a cd, and XP can't locate my RAID if the drivers are not loaded during the installation, which is not possible with a CD.
Thanks ABIT :argue:
I will install Vista x64 on Saturday, where I will post some results.

brint said:
The watercooling setup is made from a car radiator, plastic reservoir with a water capacity of 15 litters, Eheim pump and my new Swiftec Apogee GTX cpu cooler head. I made the kit about 2 years ago for my old main rig, see sig.

I do have an Xp cd laying around, but Abit didn't include a disk with the harddrive controllers on, only a cd, and XP can't locate my RAID if the drivers are not loaded during the installation, which is not possible with a CD.
Thanks ABIT :argue:
I will install Vista x64 on Saturday, where I will post some results.
take the cd and boot from it. it has a linux based dos as a bootable image, from there you can get the drivers on a diskette.

Its in the manual *wink*

Evilsizer said:
take the cd and boot from it. it has a linux based dos as a bootable image, from there you can get the drivers on a diskette.

Its in the manual *wink*
Thanks for the heads up :thup:
Today I received my OEM copy of Vista x64, so on Saturday I will be able to install and do some much anticipated benchmarks.

brint said:
Yes, all four are suspended in the cabinet. I must say that it helps a lot to combat the noise. I use to have five drives which was not suspended and the difference is very notable. It is an expensive modification, but in my opinion it is worth it. That and rubber mountings for the fans and power supply is a must when trying to reduce the noise from the computer.
hi'
may I ask, what is the name of the UC, it looks great and tall,
but what a room in there ;)

nice setup btw :thup:

i686

i686 said:
hi'
may I ask, what is the name of the UC, it looks great and tall,
but what a room in there ;)

nice setup btw :thup:

i686

Hi, I am not sure what you mean when you say UC.... If you mean the case/cabinet it is an Antec hightower something something. Very old.

hi'
sorry for my 'wrong typing" I mean, the case sure :lol:
I'm french, dual languaged and even triple ...
so, sometime "frenchy goes off :lol: " UC in french is for central unit or Unité Centrale ... voilà ;)

I was quite sure that it couldn't be a recent model as I never seen it before, but you confirmed me this :) thanks.

so it's an Antec, do you think that there is any chance I could get one as yours, IF they still build it?

have to be optimistic :)

i686

i686 said:
hi'
So it's an Antec, do you think that there is any chance I could get one as yours, IF they still build it?

have to be optimistic :)

i686

I think that model is out of production, but they still make some big cases with a lot of space. My case looks bigger then it actually is because I have removed the harddisk holders. They are originally placed beside the motherboard.

Results!!

Hi all, I have not finally installed Vista x64 on the system and I must say that it was a bumpy road to get there. I had some problems with the raid setup, it seams that the vista installation can't handle two raid partitions, so I had to make one big partition. The problems was that vista couldn't accept the drivers for the ICH9R sata controller, if there was two partitions :confused:

Here are some results.

Super pi: System stock speeds

Orthos test: System stock speeds

Super pi: 3150Mhz @ 450Mhz

Vcore: 1,425v
CoreVTT: 1,37v
Memory: 2,4v

Orthos test: 3150Mhz @ 450Mhz

Super pi: 3220Mhz @ 460Mhz

I was only able to push the system to 3220Mhz @ 460Mhz FSB before I started getting errors in Orthos and memtest86+. So I settled at 3150Mhz @ 450Mhz FSB. Not as much as I had hoped for. I think the main problem is the CPU, it can't handle being taken above 3200Mhz, and the memory is maxing out 460Mhz FSB. I don't think it can be solved with more power, I have had the Vcore up to 1,5v and it didn't help. But on the positive side of the situation is my temps. It has been a while since I have had a system with temps below 40c :)

Back