• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Build Log: Water & Wood

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Laaame.

How long did you have them and what coolant were you using?

I'm just wondering if I should take my system apart and check it again. Farking EK blocks on everything :(

Damn. Yeah, that's why I spend the extra $50 premium cost to just get EVGA's 580 Hydrocopper 2 versions, straight from the factory (plus the costs for the connectors between them). The EK stuff looks so rad, but the history of them lately, as you mentioned earlier, just scared me away from the chance of taking down my daily-development-and-must-be-dependable rig.

Though, I had to RMA two of the threee when I first opened them because of stripped threads - from the factory! The threads were completely gone on the backside of 2 of the 3 cards I ordered. They were all consecutive in order for the serial numbers too.
I bought these about a month prior to the discovery of the flaking issue. I tried to submitt an RMA request before installing them, but EK rejected it saying they were not "defective" yet, and that I should run anti-corrosive mizture to avoid the problem. But I was not planning to add anything to my loop but distilled & PTNuke, so I figured I'd just go ahead and ruin them, then RMA them....a big PITA, but gotta-do-it :-/

Laaame.

How long did you have them and what coolant were you using?

I'm just wondering if I should take my system apart and check it again. Farking EK blocks on everything :(
see above

Good news, I've got the system back up and running (using it now) with a single 580 on air....so I won't be down while I wait :thup:

Sorry to hear that. I'd guess its a form of corrosion or errosion of the nickel right? I wonder if it plated out somewhere else or if it there are small partlicles somewhere. Maybe a sacrificial anode or some some such would help? Sorry I'm not a chemist but there are a few here that may be able to shed some light to help prevent future problems. I wonder if you couldn't you just sand blast off the nickel and all it good? That's why I like plain copper myself. But it's not perfect either. Will you be back to air so you can keep gaming? ;)

excellent. I'm running feser 1 so hopefully that will help because I really dont want to have to take this system apart... it takes too much damn time.

Great thread! Just read the entire thing. I really like the LEDs on the front, it took me a while to figure out where all that sawing and etching was going. looks very professional!

How are your water cooling units running in parallel? Is that big block splitting the flow into four channels then recombining them? Doesn't that affect the flow if you've got the same thickness tubing going in as you have going out to the CPU?

Damn. Yeah, that's why I spend the extra $50 premium cost to just get EVGA's 580 Hydrocopper 2 versions, straight from the factory (plus the costs for the connectors between them). The EK stuff looks so rad, but the history of them lately, as you mentioned earlier, just scared me away from the chance of taking down my daily-development-and-must-be-dependable rig.

Though, I had to RMA two of the threee when I first opened them because of stripped threads - from the factory! The threads were completely gone on the backside of 2 of the 3 cards I ordered. They were all consecutive in order for the serial numbers too.

its only the nickel thats doing it, im already in the process removing my nickel for EK copper blocks. i got 2 more peaces left to remove. ill never ever ever buy nickel again, and only stick with copper

Great thread! Just read the entire thing. I really like the LEDs on the front, it took me a while to figure out where all that sawing and etching was going. looks very professional!

How are your water cooling units running in parallel? Is that big block splitting the flow into four channels then recombining them? Doesn't that affect the flow if you've got the same thickness tubing going in as you have going out to the CPU?
Thanks :) Yes, flow is reduced significantly per block....approx 25% per block. But the path is much shorter and the resistance much lower...and I compared temps in series, and it was about the same ;)

I'd guess its a form of corrosion or erosion of the nickel right?

Yes corrosion, there was a huge thread at OCN and at XS a few months ago (right after I bought these)...eventually EK admitted the nickle plating process they had been using was the weak link and that they'd accept RMAs for this type of damage. They subsequently switched to a higher quality plating process that seems to have taken care of the issue.

I'm running feser 1 so hopefully that will help...
According to EK, it should be much better than straight water/biocide :thup:

ill never ever ever buy nickel again, and only stick with copper
I don't blame you, I really wish I'd gone with copper at this point :rolleyes:

wow, very nice build. i find myself staring at your walls/windows though :/ OT, but do you mind post more pictures of the interior of the room/home?

I was going to comment something about your build. Then, I remembered that your build let me speechless. :drool:

I was going to rate your build as awesome. But that would be an insult. Towards your build. More than awesome. Nyan-grade modding marvel. :D

Keep up the good work, :thup:.

Thanks, that means alot to me coming from a guy with a rainbow kitten avatar :salute:

Well, I finally got around to putting things back together after getting GPU blocks, Koolance QDCs, and the mobo replaced:

tri-SLI10.jpg

tri-SLI9.jpg

tri-SLI8.jpg

This is how it should have been from the beginning.

Amazing build Mia & I really like the way the etching & lighting came out that is great :thup:

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i have had to change my pants about 14 times lol NJ NICE FREAKING JOB lol ohhhhhhhhh i wish i could have and that glass with the led's ohh NICE TOUCH OMG lol. Cant tell you enough GJ worth all the time u put into it lol. Btw was wondering what the whit thing was that is next to your 1st gpu?

Back