• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange lapping results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ancalime

So my friend tried his hand at lapping a heatsink for the first time but came up with very strange results. The base of the heatsink changed from an even copper color to an unevenly colored oily looking base. I was not with him when he was doing the lapping but he told me he used a dish washing solution on the heatsink. I am not very experienced with lapping but I never heard of doing this. Could this be what caused the dark oily looking base? Here are some pictures he provided me with:

Before lapping
051407062.jpg

After lapping
051407063.jpg

The pictures aren't great but they clearly show a drastic change in color. Any explanations? Thanks for the help. :)

Well I used a small drop of dish soap to help lubricate the sandpaper... but my arcticlean got rid of any discoloring. If you don't have any arcticlean try some rubbing alcohol.

How long did he leave it out (oxidation)? Try letting some ketchup or lemon juice sit on it for a couple minutes then cleaning it off.

"pure" copper will be lighter and shinier, so the darker areas could might not be sanded down completely to the copper layer.

Ok thanks, I will tell him to try and clean it off following those procedures.

He says he is pretty sure he had proper technique as he saw it done before. Therefore, taking his word for it, I don't see how some parts wouldn't be sanded while others were. He did leave it out for a while. If it was just some oxidation kicking in instead of improper sanding, it wouldn't hurt performance would it? I don't know chemistry btw. :)

It looks like the sandpaper quality on higher grits seem 'bad'

This happened to me long time ago and the simple solution was to switch to a different brand of sand paper :D

I cant really tell for sure if this is the cause, I still need a better picture to see

IKIKUINTHENUTZ said:

This happened to me long time ago and the simple solution was to switch to a different brand of sand paper :D

I cant really tell for sure if this is the cause, I still need a better picture to see
That is what I was thinking. He got the sandpaper from SVC. He said it was fine until towards the end (which is when he would be sanding on the higher grits). I'm gonna try my hand on some SVC paper and see if the results are the same.

He couldn't get his hand on any ketchup yet by the way. :rolleyes:

Hey I never used soap. :attn:

Do you just soak the whole piece of sand paper with tap water? That's what I do but I'm not sure thats the correct way.

Soap has always worked well for me but I don't use very much. Really it only helps in the beginning, adding soap isn't helpful.

I used soap (a finger wipe on the bottle) on the HS, didn't get what I wanted for shine (2500 grit), but that's long over. I don't think it really helped. How'd the temp drop go though?

ancalime said:
Hey I never used soap. :attn:

Do you just soak the whole piece of sand paper with tap water? That's what I do but I'm not sure thats the correct way.
What I do is set up my lapping station next to the sink with the faucet set on trickle.
That way I can rinse the particles off both the sandpaper & heatsink often.

They key to getting a good finish with the extra smooth grits is to be CLEAN of grit. Soap makes that next
to impossible. Which is why those who use it run into a brick wall at a certain point.

ancalime said:
That is what I was thinking. He got the sandpaper from SVC. He said it was fine until towards the end (which is when he would be sanding on the higher grits). I'm gonna try my hand on some SVC paper and see if the results are the same.

He couldn't get his hand on any ketchup yet by the way. :rolleyes:

Ive had the problem with EasyPckits 2000 grit sandpaper

Susquehannock is right though, I use 3M 1500,2000,2500 grit sandpaper and never ran into this problem again :D

What's the best sand paper I can get hold of? 3M?

Some soaps and detergents can accelerate oxidization or ionization of the copper. It'll make it look that funny color. I'm not sure how it will affect it's ability to transfer heat though.

Back