• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 6420 OC' Help. I've read many posts...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dstrbd

Registered
Hello,

As for my first post, I will be honest. This is my first overclock. I've done everything with computers and networking, but never this.

This is my setup;

Intel C2D 6420
MSI P6N SLI-Platinum
Corsair XMS2 - 6400 - DDR2 800MHz
BFG 8800 GTS
160 gig Sata
Rosewood 550w PSU

Now, I've read in three different posts three different approaches. One said that you should start off with a small bump to the fsb (example 266-280) which bumps me from 2.13Mhz to 2.35Mhz then to go up 10 mhz at a time from there, each time bumping the voltage +0.0125.

Now, I also read that I need to drop my ddr2 800 to ddr2 400 to allow more fsb for the processor and run my corsair at 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1 volts.

Is it best to do the overclocking with MSI's D.O.T. Windows software or to do it in the BIOS. I would think the BIOS myself, but What increments should I increase this at. Should I do 1066 (default) to 1166Mhz, then 1176Mhz, 1186Mhz increasing +0.0125v each time until it starts heating up until I get to the desired 3.2 range? Please help, I've read :) so I tried not to repost... just not clear on some issues.

Hello and :welcome:

I didn't do the 10 FSB increments. I was new to OC'ing too, 2 weeks ago.

First thing I did was up my FSB to 300, set the PCI-Express to 100mhz (do this if you can, so it's doesn't overclock and damage your card) and left my memory and voltage on auto.

Then once that worked, I went to FSB 350 or 375, something like that, then finally 400, put my memory at 4-4-4-12 and I think changed the voltage to 1.4 or 1.37, something like that, so that it wasn't on auto, so that the BIOS wouldn't overvolt anything.

I honestly did not do a lot of Orthos testing until I hit 400 FSB. I just wanted to see if I could OC the E6420 that high first.

And that 400 FSB is where I'm at now. I have not touched my Memory voltage. It's set to "normal" in my BIOS, so I'm not sure what voltage it's running at, but it's not increased, that's for sure.

So in other words, you really don't have to do the 10 FSB incrementals. With my BIOS, if I overclocked and something wasn't stable it would reboot to failsafe settings.

I would go right to 300, then like 350 or so and then 400. You have the RAM to match the 400 FSB, it's just a matter of the E6420 getting there easy, which it should. heck, Go right to 400 if your MB can support it!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcoming,

I've tried the FSB to 288 without changing anything else, and it froze every time. But this was accomplished through the D.O.T. Windows, and not in the bios.

The PCI-E was set to 100mhz automatically in the bios, and up'd the voltage a little on the processor, but still it froze :S

Hmm, when your system is stable and in windows run coretemp .95 and see what your temps are, it could be your cooling cannot keep up with the OC. you shouldn't need to raise your voltage per 10mhz.

Right now I've overclock my system 3.0 from 2.13 and my vcore is 1.29 when default is 1.325

Morvak said it pretty well. However I would try using the actual BIOS and not windoze software if you can.

Can you post a list of all your BIOS settings? FSB, voltages, etc? That would help more

Most of these C2Ds can overclock very well with undervolting. But in general you don't touch the CPU voltage until you get as high as you can on the FSB. Actually you might need to manually set the CPU voltage to the default, because sometimes your MoBo will automatically raise the voltage per your overclock. If you get your voltage up too high too fast you'll overheat and lock up, and not be anywhere near your max OC.

I built an e6300 system last December for a friend. I got up to 3GHz pretty easily, but temps were pretty high when I let TAT run full blast. I dropped the voltage incrementally, and ended up w/ a very fast system that didn't get too hot. I actually had a higher max overclock, but wanted to ensure stability b/c my friend wasn't very PC savvy.

Also remember that some of these MoBos have straps, and you may hit a wall at some point that can be overcome if you jump up to 400 or 401 FSB.

Good luck on your 1st OC!

Alright,

Thanks for all the helpful info.

I went home and did what you said. I was able to get to 1466Mhz which equals 2.91Ghz. I checked the system under a load and had it at at idle 18 degrees celcius, and 25 when under a decent load. As soon as I get to 1500 mhz or 2.99 perspectively, windows becomes unstable and reboots.

As for my voltage, I will drop it back to regular to see what it does on that. I have my memory at 4-4-4-12 @ auto volts (I can't figure out why it won't let me change that to manual...) and also at 800Mhz.

Do I need to drop down the ddr2 settings to 400? It says 800mhz in OC-Z and BIOS. I've seen people have to drop it down to 400.. and is this how I should go to get above 3.0? Or try 400/401 ? I notice that I'm way down in temperature (the case and fans to their job really well) so that isn't hampering me yet.

Thank you again for the help! !

Current settings (From Memory)

CPU FSB: 1466mhz
CPU Voltage: +0.0250
Memory Frequency: 800Mhz @ AUTO volts
Memory Settings: 4-4-4-12 (Corsair XMS2 DDR2 6400) - I'm not sure if it would be better @ 5-5-5-1?

Last edited:
batboy said:
I'll tell you right now those temps are very wrong.

I get it off of MSI's own program that measures core tempretures. I verified it against the BIOS and there was a 3+ degree celsius increase. Is there a better program to use? After using Orthos and Supreme Commander on high settings with IE Explorer in the background, I didn't get over room temperature for the air blowing out. I don't have an actual heat probe though :(

3.2 should be pretty easy for that chip . Till i put my fans back on my rad my system is @ 3.2 and my rad is running passive .
1.4v

When I say 400 FSB you need to remember that it is quad-pumped, so it is effectivily 1600MHz. At 1500MHz you are in the "forbidden strap zone"...not sure if this applies to your MoBo, but you are still going to want to try 1600.

Those temps are way off...definitely.

You probably want to try running your RAM 1:1 if you aren't already. I'm not sure how your BIOS is laid out, but DDR2 533 would be 1:1...it may be listed in reference to your FSB speed in which case it should be twice your FSB or 1/2 your effective FSB. For 1:1 -> 400MHz FSB = 1600MHz effective FSB = DDR2 800 or if you're running stock -> 266MHz FSB = 1066MHz effective FSB = DDR2 533. If your at stock and you set the RAM to DDR2 533, as you up the FSB your RAM will scale up speed linearly.

If you run CPU-Z it will tell you on the memory tab if you're running 1:1 or not.

jason4207 said:
When I say 400 FSB you need to remember that it is quad-pumped, so it is effectivily 1600MHz. At 1500MHz you are in the "forbidden strap zone"...not sure if this applies to your MoBo, but you are still going to want to try 1600.

Those temps are way off...definitely.

You probably want to try running your RAM 1:1 if you aren't already. I'm not sure how your BIOS is laid out, but DDR2 533 would be 1:1...it may be listed in reference to your FSB speed in which case it should be twice your FSB or 1/2 your effective FSB. For 1:1 -> 400MHz FSB = 1600MHz effective FSB = DDR2 800 or if you're running stock -> 266MHz FSB = 1066MHz effective FSB = DDR2 533. If your at stock and you set the RAM to DDR2 533, as you up the FSB your RAM will scale up speed linearly.

If you run CPU-Z it will tell you on the memory tab if you're running 1:1 or not.

Thank you, I will try that. I will go home and try 401 :D PLZZZ WORK!

Alright, so I've done the following:

Tried dropping voltage from +0.0250 to +0.0000 and it was unstable
Bumped the FSB to 1600 and 1604 at both 0.0250 and 0.0000V with no luck.

I have the following for core tempretaures with Core Temp and CPU-Z information:

Core Temp
Tjunction = 85c
Core#0 = 29c
Core#1 = 29c

Core Speed 2920.2 Mhz
Multiplier x 6.0
Bus Speed 365.0 Mhz
1460.0 Mhz

Memory
Frequency 398.2Mhz
FSB: DRAM: 11:12
CAS# Latency 4.0 Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay 4 Clocks
RAS# Precharge 4 Clocks
Cycle Time (Tras) 12 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (Trc) 22 clocks
Command Rate 2 T

See where it says FSB: DRAM: 11:12? Keep changing the DDR2 settings in BIOS until you get 1:1.

You may also have to adjust voltage to the FSB and other various voltages in your BIOS.

Alright... here's the update.

I went to 1500 MHZ @ 1.4 volts and it runs stable. I stress stested both cores individually and it does well.

I'm still at a 15:16 ratio, unable to get it to a 1:1 :S

I am unable to go above 1500mhz, and won't post at 1600 or 1602Mhz

I have my bios set for

D.O.T Control Disabled
INTEL EIST Disabled
System Clock Mode Manual
FSB Clock (in my case, 1500mhz)
Mem Clock (in my case, 800mhz) pc-6400
CPU ratio (in my case, 8 ) E4300 cpu

Advanced DRAM 5-5-5-12

Adjust PCIE 100

CPU Voltage 1.45v
Mem Voltage 2.1v
NB Voltage 1.40v
SB Voltage 1.50v
FSB VTT Voltage 4%

Spread Spectrum
Configuration All set to Disabled

Not to steal your post, but I'm also having an issue with my 6420 OC.

I'm running 400x7=2.8 completely stable (16 hour Orthos) at stock volts (1.35)
Right now under orthos load my temps get up to 45deg
However, if I try to change the multi to 8 I can't get into XP. Any tips on what voltages I should bump to increase the stability?

However, if I try to change the multi to 8 I can't get into XP. Any tips on what voltages I should bump to increase the stability?
Changing the multi to 8x you're now at 400x8=3.2, your ram will be running at 800mhz (so if you've tightend the timings it may not work). So a few things you may want to try is bumping up the memory voltage (depending on what you're at now), put a little voltage into the MCH, and FSB as well.

Before doing all of this I would suggest (if you want to run at 8x multi) lower the mhz down to 375(3.0ghz). If it's not stable then, bump the voltage up just a tad, and try again.

Dstrbd -

Intel C2D 6420

CPU ratio (in my case, 8 ) E4300 cpu

Which one is it? Do you have the e4300 or the e6420?

Is there a setting in the BIOS that says something about which RAM you want to use? You have DDR2 800 selected, but you need to pick DDR2 750 if it is an option. Tell me all possible options for this setting and I might be able to help more.

PhatheadWRX -

Changing the multi to 8x you're now at 400x8=3.2, your ram will be running at 800mhz (so if you've tightend the timings it may not work). So a few things you may want to try is bumping up the memory voltage (depending on what you're at now), put a little voltage into the MCH, and FSB as well.

His RAM is running fine at 800MHz w/ the 7x multi, so why should it need more voltage at 800MHz w/ an 8x multi? The multi affects the CPU...it shouldn't affect the RAM. I would definitely run memtest, though, to see how well your RAM is running at your current timings. You may be able to get better performance out of it.

I thought the MCH and FSB voltage were the same thing if memory serves me. I could be wrong.

Since the FSB isn't changing either I don't know if you need more voltage there, but it might help stability.

If your running at stock voltage then you may need a little more voltage to the CPU to get it stable at 3.2GHz.

The problem with trying to run it around 375MHz FSB is you might have strap issues whereas with 400 you'll be fine. You could try it, though.

I built an e6300 system last December for a friend. I got up to 3GHz pretty easily, but temps were pretty high when I let TAT run full blast. I dropped the voltage incrementally, and ended up w/ a very fast system that didn't get too hot. I actually had a higher max overclock, but wanted to ensure stability b/c my friend wasn't very PC savvy.

The advantage to the e6300 (or e6320) is that it has a 7x mutli and it was pretty easy to get the FSB up to 400 (2.8GHz). From there I raised the FSB until...well I kind of explained it in the above quote.

You might want to try leaving the multi at 7x, loosening timings on your RAM to 5-5-5-15 (assuming you have some decent RAM), and keep upping your FSB above 400 until you max out. If you do this you may have to increase RAM voltage or FSB voltage to keep going up.

PhatheadWRX - What kind of MB do you have...actually just list all your gear if you don't mind.

jason4207 said:
Dstrbd -

Which one is it? Do you have the e4300 or the e6420?

Is there a setting in the BIOS that says something about which RAM you want to use? You have DDR2 800 selected, but you need to pick DDR2 750 if it is an option. Tell me all possible options for this setting and I might be able to help more.

QUOTE]

I appologize, I took the form for the bios from another person who had my same mother board. It is the 6420. I can change it anything from 400-2400

Back