• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Freezes shortly after start up...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bonefish5

Registered
This may be in the wrong location. This is my kids computer which I put together.

I thought I initially had a heating problem. The original setup was SLI which I deleted because the case was packed and tiny, with horrid air flow. I ran it with the side panel off and it seemed better, only freezing when trying graphically demanding games.

So, I thought full tower case with better air flow problem solved right...wrong.

Posts fine and wndows starting freezing so I eliminated all non essential hardware to try and isolate the problem, but I am having no luck. I am currently booting with no attached hardware (only onboard stuff).

Boots/posts windows loads and then locks up. Any suggestions? Could the PSU cause these symtoms?

According to MicroSoft, 80% of all abnormal events are related to faulty device drivers.

1. run: msconfig and disable everything under "startup", reboot; that will elimiante all kinds of potentially faulty interfering programs, if that works then slowly add items back one at a time

2. run: CHKDSK /r on the hard disk to make sure there are no faulty programs

3. run: sfc /scannow to ensure winxp isn't operating with corrupt files

3. remove your video drivers completely and boot into VGA mode, check for the latest drivers online and reload the new driver. Check to make sure windows actually updated the driver to the right version under "device manager/video" (especially important if you have ATI cards)

4. disable any special device drivers you have then add them back one at a time.

5. get speedfan and check your CPU temperature, if it is high, you might have a poor heatsink mounting.

6. remove one of your two memory modules, boot up, if the problem persists, switch them, sometimes one module is faulty.

[EDIT]

7. look in the "Event Viewer" are there programs that aren't loading or producing errors or being shut down after loading?

8. is the HD new? perhaps it is becoming flakey. Look at the SMART information about your drive, are the read and write errors recorded as high?

Last edited:
orion456 said:
According to MicroSoft, 80% of all abnormal events are related to faulty device drivers.

1. run: msconfig and disable everything under "startup", reboot; that will elimiante all kinds of potentially faulty interfering programs, if that works then slowly add items back one at a time

4. disable any special device drivers you have then add them back one at a time.
An easier way is to just boot into Safe Mode and this accomplishes the same idea. Though you do not have the same degree of control. It does rule out some driver issues that may cause a hang upon boot. In a simpler fashion.

On #4, It is also an easy way to check and disable some drivers that might not show in a normal fashion. While in the Device Manager. Select the menu option of 'View'. When you get the drop down, select 'Show Hidden Devices'.

In this state you can see most of the drivers that are above the token you are allowed for that account. Non-Plug and Play Drivers will show some you might not see in normal viewing of this manager. Like Beep, Network drivers and possibly if you have a robust kernel hooked firewall. Also this is one of the ways Starforce shows itself.

Enablingwolf said:
An easier way is to just boot into Safe Mode and this accomplishes the same idea. Though you do not have the same degree of control. It does rule out some driver issues that may cause a hang upon boot. In a simpler fashion.

The big problem with Safe Mode is the loss of significant functionality and performance. You can't really run games or any demanding apps either and since his problem appears during stress, I don't think Safe Mode is going to solve much. In fact I think the only use I ever got from Safe Mode was removing a faulty video driver which then reappeared as soon as I booted in WinXP; those ATI drivers hate to give up the ghost and are a real pain to eliminate completely.

I didn't see any part of the post that said stress. "Boots/posts windows loads and then locks up." If it under stress, then locks. It is more then disabling a driver.

Lock ups during stress was my reason for moving everything into a tower vs mid tower case. I thought I was having a heating problem.

I starting the thing and let it post and ran setup. I let it sit idle for over and hour and the cpu temp never got over 14-15c and the MB was idle at around 29c.

I existed setup and windows load but then froze almost immediately. I agree that it looks like a conflict somewhere, now trying to isolate it.

Thanks for the suggestions I will let you know if I have any luck.

ie. basic specs of kids machine: Intel Prescott 3.4, Asus P5M32SLI, 700W PSU, 2gig DDR6400, (2) WD250G HD (raid 1), BFG7600GT OC,

Enablingwolf said:
I didn't see any part of the post that said stress. "Boots/posts windows loads and then locks up." If it under stress, then locks. It is more then disabling a driver.

Umm, I guess it was this part that caught my eye:

"I ran it with the side panel off and it seemed better, only freezing when trying graphically demanding games."

bonefish5 said:
the cpu temp never got over 14-15c and the MB was idle at around 29c.

Something isn't right when the CPU temps are lower than the MB temps?? What are you using to read the temps?

I was just checking them through the bios hardware monitor.

I thought that was odd but not sure if it meant anything. I was sure how accurate the reading was. However, I checked it again after the machine sat idle in safe mode for a while and the temp readings were similar.

bonefish5 said:

I thought that was odd but not sure if it meant anything. I was sure how accurate the reading was. However, I checked it again after the machine sat idle in safe mode for a while and the temp readings were similar.

Get SpeedFan so you can monitor your temps continously.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

bonefish5 said:

I'd say use Coretemp, but on some processors it can be off also.

Back