• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

simple ram timings question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Born_2_Kill

Registered
I have OCZ Gold PC6400 800MHZ 5-5-5-12 Stock
When overclocking would a ratio of 1:1 4-4-4-12 688MHZ be a slower ram speed than stock or would it operate faster?

Download a program called Super Pi and try running it both ways to see for yourself. Generally, 1:1 ratio with tighter timings is a good thing.

batboy said:
Download a program called Super Pi and try running it both ways to see for yourself. Generally, 1:1 ratio with tighter timings is a good thing.
that one and the other sweet ratio is 2:3 but you would need to make sure you ram can run that fast. i use to have a comparo of 1:1 vs 2:3 in superpi and using the faster 2:3 in 1m i shaved off 1sec. now the run to use when comparing the 2 is 8m or higher.

timings dont affect core 2 as much as a amd counterpart. I would take the faster ram speed over the slower one with tighter timings.

*note* i just found the ss's i was looking for.these runs are on my AB9-Pro(p965)
1:1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/superpi 1m runs/e4334sp1m.jpg
2:3
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/superpi 1m runs/34g1140g.jpg

Evilsizer said:
that one and the other sweet ratio is 2:3 but you would need to make sure you ram can run that fast. i use to have a comparo of 1:1 vs 2:3 in superpi and using the faster 2:3 in 1m i shaved off 1sec. now the run to use when comparing the 2 is 8m or higher.

timings dont affect core 2 as much as a amd counterpart. I would take the faster ram speed over the slower one with tighter timings.

*note* i just found the ss's i was looking for.these runs are on my AB9-Pro(p965)
1:1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/superpi 1m runs/e4334sp1m.jpg
2:3
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/superpi 1m runs/34g1140g.jpg

O.k ive just benched using super PI here are the results
Faster speed loose timings 1000MHZ 5-5-5-15 2:3
1MB=17secs
2MB=41secs
4MB=1min 32secs
Slower speed tight timings 710MHZ 4-4-4-12 1:1
1MB=16secs
2MB=39secs
4MB=1min 30secs

So looking at that am I right in thinking I should stay with 1:1 tighter timings for faster ram?

Yeppers, I say go with the tighter timings too. :beer:

Will it do 4:5 ratio with tight timings? Might have to bump up the RAM voltage a little.

batboy said:
Yeppers, I say go with the tighter timings too. :beer:

Will it do 4:5 ratio with tight timings? Might have to bump up the RAM voltage a little.

Its wont go past 2:3 with tight timings.
I thought 1:1 is more deal anyway or a second best 2:3?

If you make the ratio into a multiplier...

1:1 = 1X
4:5 = 1.25X
3:4 = 1.33X
2:3 = 1.5X
1:2 = 2X

So, both 3:4 and 4:5 will run the RAM slower than the 2:3, but still faster than 1:1 ratio. So, DDR2-710 at the 1:1 is 355 FSB. If you use the same FSB but instead run the 4:5 ratio, that would make the RAM speed DDR2-888. Not sure if your RAM can handle that speed with tight timings, but if you use 2.2v it might.

batboy said:
If you make the ratio into a multiplier...

1:1 = 1X
4:5 = 1.25X
3:4 = 1.33X
2:3 = 1.5X
1:2 = 2X

So, both 3:4 and 4:5 will run the RAM slower than the 2:3, but still faster than 1:1 ratio. So, DDR2-710 at the 1:1 is 355 FSB. If you use the same FSB but instead run the 4:5 ratio, that would make the RAM speed DDR2-888. Not sure if your RAM can handle that speed with tight timings, but if you use 2.2v it might.

Wow thats even faster running 4:5 4-4-4-12 DDR2-888 2.25V (like you said)
1MB=16sec
2MB=38sec
4MB=1min27sec
Thought when testing in Orthos it errors after 3 secs? not worth while due to being unstable in there?

hmm well sorry if i find it a bit od that 1:1 is better then 2:3 but i think it might have something to do with be vista and 64bit. as the cpu with 64bit os may actually need the tighter timings.

Evilsizer said:
hmm well sorry if i find it a bit od that 1:1 is better then 2:3 but i think it might have something to do with be vista and 64bit. as the cpu with 64bit os may actually need the tighter timings.

Thats interesting as im running vista 64-bit
Where did you get your information from?
Would you surgest I stay with the slow speed tighter ram timings 1:1?

Born_2_Kill said:
Thats interesting as im running vista 64-bit
Where did you get your information from?
Would you surgest I stay with the slow speed tighter ram timings 1:1?
well my runs where with 32bit and XP, your shows the oppsit. you did run vist-64bit with superpi right?

if you could i would use the 4:5 with the tigheter timings. as long as your vdimm is below 2.3v.

Evilsizer said:
well my runs where with 32bit and XP, your shows the oppsit. you did run vist-64bit with superpi right?

if you could i would use the 4:5 with the tigheter timings. as long as your vdimm is below 2.3v.

running it at 2.25V but its unstable according to Orthos, should that be the be all and end all?

Born_2_Kill said:
running it at 2.25V but its unstable according to Orthos, should that be the be all and end all?
you need to run memtest, cause im not sure what test in orthos your using. you can use some tests in orthos to stress just the cpu or both(cpu/ram).

Evilsizer said:
you need to run memtest, cause im not sure what test in orthos your using. you can use some tests in orthos to stress just the cpu or both(cpu/ram).

Im using both CPU and Ram testing which it fails in
Ill try mem test
Thanks for you help btw

either that or run 2 instances of superpi and do 32m run. that will stress the ram but memtest it will show you where it errors out at.

Evilsizer said:
either that or run 2 instances of superpi and do 32m run. that will stress the ram but memtest it will show you where it errors out at.

MemtestX3 currently running without any errors so far Im pritty sure Ill get the same result in super PI. so what does this tell you about orthos?

Born_2_Kill said:
MemtestX3 currently running without any errors so far Im pritty sure Ill get the same result in super PI. so what does this tell you about orthos?
could then either be chipset related, as in you need to bump the MCH voltage in the bios just a tad. As well the cpu might need a touch more but really all you did was increas ram speed. the Northbrighe(MCH) is being stress alot more since you running dimms in all 4 banks. also how hot is the Northbridge HS during your ram/orthose testing(just touch it with your finger)?

Evilsizer said:
could then either be chipset related, as in you need to bump the MCH voltage in the bios just a tad. As well the cpu might need a touch more but really all you did was increas ram speed. the Northbrighe(MCH) is being stress alot more since you running dimms in all 4 banks. also how hot is the Northbridge HS during your ram/orthose testing(just touch it with your finger)?

where abouts do i have to touch?

Back