• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My tubes are white as snow!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkcow

yea yea yea, i know all about the white tubing turning white, believe me i've done tons of research, but I've never seen it nearly as bad as mine. my tubes are basically spotless white right now, like, printer paper white and all 100% of the tubing is covered. i would love to take pictures of it, but my sister lost my 300 dollar digital camera and i really don't want to buy another one. im guessing the tubing is just doing what pretty much every previous case of the white tubing

the thing is i don't really care about the tube's being white, i don't want to spend money on replacing the tubing if i can help it, I'm more worried about the pump to be honest. infact, the pump is the only thing I'm worried about. so what im asking is, is it ok to be running my loop for a year or so longer without harming the pump.

btw, im using a d5 with Masterkleer 7/16 tubing and Distilled water with some providone iodine.

Did you clean radiator before instaling it in the loop? I think you can clean tubing with vinger.

meionm said:
Did you clean radiator before instaling it in the loop? I think you can clean tubing with vinger.

yea, i did 2 6 hour soaks, and one 2 hour soak and plenty of distilled water, i bought like 5 gallons so i went crazy. by the end of it everything that came out was as clean as it went in. im pretty sure theres no bacteria growth but then again i can't really see ANYTHING. its 100% opaque. i know providone iodine isn't the best anti algea but i did put a ton of it in there. (it was some diluted stuff from publix)

Algae is green. My guess would be just regular clouding, but bacteria or fungi might be white. The iodine should take care of that, but it will lose potency over time, especially if exposed to light. Do you have a res or T? Did you look inside the tubing? Did you take out a small sample of coolant to see if there's anything floating in it?

darkcow said:
i don't want to spend money on replacing the tubing if i can help it.

25' of Masterkleer from McMaster is like ~10 bucks (ordering from the catalog not online)? Why not replace it?

If you are really in that dire of a need of tubing, PM me.

Online you can get different colors as well, albeit the sizes are limited, most being 3/4' OD 1/2' ID 1/8" walled;
Blue, Green, Orange, Red

However the colored masterkleer is much more expensive opposed to the simple clear.

Last edited:
WonderingSoul said:
25' of Masterkleer from McMaster is like ~10 bucks (ordering from the catalog not online)? Why not replace it?

If you are really in that dire of a need of tubing, PM me.

Online you can get different colors as well, albeit the sizes are limited, most being 3/4' OD 1/2' ID 1/8" walled;
Blue, Green, Orange, Red

However the colored masterkleer is much more expensive opposed to the simple clear.

well, by replacing the masterkleer tubing all i would be doing is just waiting for it to happen again, theres no point really in replacing with masterkleer, im going to move onto tygon silver, but don't have the money to make the move.

i guess i could take a sample of the water, but i doubt it'll come up with anything other than clear. and i am using a t-line. heres a pic from a few months back before the problem got bad, heres the start of it.

well, you see that yellow circle, and the "gray" tubing inside of the circle, well, imagine that but a few shades whiter, then everywhere. im pretty sure its the typical white clouding and judging that no one has said it wont affect my pump i guess i won't care too much about it.

darkcow said:
well, by replacing the masterkleer tubing all i would be doing is just waiting for it to happen again, theres no point really in replacing with masterkleer, im going to move onto tygon silver, but don't have the money to make the move.

i guess i could take a sample of the water, but i doubt it'll come up with anything other than clear. and i am using a t-line. heres a pic from a few months back before the problem got bad, heres the start of it.

well, you see that yellow circle, and the "gray" tubing inside of the circle, well, imagine that but a few shades whiter, then everywhere. im pretty sure its the typical white clouding and judging that no one has said it wont affect my pump i guess i won't care too much about it.

Is that a UV Light in the picture you posted?

That's normal. Probably accelerated the clouding via UV light. This is why I now use black tubing. Out of sight out of mind.

Maviryk said:
That's normal. Probably accelerated the clouding via UV light. This is why I now use black tubing. Out of sight out of mind.

Which was the point I was going to make ;)

I switched over to black tubing as well to prevent that from occurring on my own watercooled system. I did, however, leave a 1 inch section clear as a kind of viewing portal that let me see if anything had built up over time...I simply slid a rather large section of black heatshrink over it to keep the light from hitting it.

WonderingSoul said:
I think around 3.50 per foot?

yea, its hella expensive.

well, ill take your word on it guys, its just the normal build up accelerated by UV light and it shouldn't harm my pump. i guess ill save up some money and buy some silver tygon. or maybe just some black tygon and put some anti algae in there.

Even regular tygon doesnt seem to cloud like the cheaper stuff, I've got a pile of masterkleer type tube that is all lightly deposited and a pile of tygon that is all clear other than a slight tinge from the antifreeze (pink with water wetter or green from regular antifreeze)

Big Mike said:
Even regular tygon doesnt seem to cloud like the cheaper stuff, I've got a pile of masterkleer type tube that is all lightly deposited and a pile of tygon that is all clear other than a slight tinge from the antifreeze (pink with water wetter or green from regular antifreeze)

Tygon be what I'm rollin' and cloudy as all get out. Although I haven't done a full flush and fill for quite sometime. Might also be whatever additive I use as well. Either way, no ill effects have been seen in the year or so I've been running my loop.

Heh, I lined my case with snow white felt so it all matches now!

Be one wit teh white! :D

If you didn't know the tubing wasn't supposed to be white, would it still look bad?

Back