• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bowtie_guy

Registered
Whats up. Im currently working on my first build so I have a pretty noobish question.
When i finish with everything and turn the computer on for the first time what all do i have to do to get it running smoothly and what not.?

thanks in advanced.

bowtie_guy said:
Whats up. Im currently working on my first build so I have a pretty noobish question.
When i finish with everything and turn the computer on for the first time what all do i have to do to get it running smoothly and what not.?

thanks in advanced.
First:

:welcome: to the forums!!!

What do you mean by "running smoothly"?

At stock, it will be perfectly smooth.

After you format make sure you've got some kind of program for virus protection to keep all the bad stuff out. Other than that perhaps defrag your HD once a month.

I dont even know what pops up the first time you start up the computer when your finished with the build. I take it the BIOS does but im not sure. Do i need to go into the BIOS and change any settings or anything along those lines. I know i need to update drivers/utilities for my hardware and such. Pretty much whatever you can tell me will help me out.
thanks.

What version of windows will you be running? We can let you in on some tweaks and whatnot :)

ive never installed vista, but i imagine you'd insert it into the dvd drive and boot from it..(you may need to alter the bios to boot from dvd drive) then follow the instructions to install it. then when windows is running get all the drivers install for gfx card, mobo etc...

the only thing i would recommend you change in BIOS is the TIME/DATE..as those are usually wrong...of course, then i continue to overclock the **** outta the rig

If it's like mine he will have to go into the bios just to disable the things he won't be using if any. If I leave my bios alone I get all sorts of found new hardware messages. Stuff that I'm not using and didn't turn off.
Don't be afraid of the bios.;)

Okay bear with me...
1. turn on computer
2. When BIOS appears change time/date
3. Load OS
4. When OS is installed update motherboard, and graphics card.
5. what else?

Set your boot order and date and time make sure your hdd and cd drive are recognized and check the cpu temp to make sure it has sufficient contact. Then enable/disable different things in the bios. But make sure the onboard lan, sound, and or integrated graphics if you have them are enabled/disabled before you start with windows if not using add on cards for that.

That is what I can think of so far.

Last edited:
you'll probably have to hit delete when it tells you to enter the bios. otherwise it just tries to boot from whatever is preset (ie floppy -> cd ->hard disk).

Your PC is put together, and all the parts are working. You will most likely need access BIOS to edit the boot priority or set it up in the first place so your PC boots from the DVD/CD. After you have done that, you will then go by installing your Operating System, just by putting your Vista CD/DVD in and rebooting. It should pilot itself if you did the above step correctly. After 15 minutes or so, and your operating system is configured and installed to your liking. Your motherboard most likely came with a CD that has drivers on it. Install your motherboards drivers (ie: Onboard LAN, Onboard Audio etc etc, that should get you to the internet. Assuming your not using your own ethernet adapter and/or sound card) After my motherboard drivers are installed, usually I get on the net and download the latest Video Card driver from the companys website. After that, it's really up to you on what you want to install program wise. Games, Anti-Virus etc etc.

PS: Everytime your OS or Computer asks you "Do you want to reboot now" always click Yes. If you boot later, and installed something in the process etc. It can corrupt data and files, which can be a big hassle.

Back