• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System will not boot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
System fans and HDD run, will not post or boot. Any help? It is the rig in my sig.
I have tried different video and removing some of the ram, also the CMOS battery. It was running at another person's house and then I put it back in the truck and went about 1 hour 30 minutes and when i plugged it in and turned it on the screen stayed black.

And to those who remember me from earlier this year, welcome back :)

Sorry if this breaks the rules but *THREAD BUMP*

Have you tried checking all your connections, unplug everything except for the bare minimals and start plugginf stuff back in one by one yet? I think there is a sticky somewhere... but I'm at work... O.O

The one that came in the case, 550 Watt, 20A 12V and I know a lot of people think case PSUs suck but I have used this one since 2005 and on this rig for about a year.

ben333 said:
it was running at another person's house and then I put it back in the truck and went about 1 hour 30 minutes and when i plugged it in and turned it on the screen stayed black.

If I understand you correctly you're saying that it worked at someone's house. You powered down and put it in you're truck and drove home. When you hooked everything up it didn't work.

IF that's a correct summary it sounds like something worked it's way loose.

JamesXP said:
With PSUs it's a waiting game it can happen any time.
So try another PSU?
dudleycpa said:
If I understand you correctly you're saying that it worked at someone's house. You powered down and put it in you're truck and drove home. When you hooked everything up it didn't work.

IF that's a correct summary it sounds like something worked it's way loose.
You are correct. But I reconnected all parts. Still no boot, just fans and drives...

ben333 said:
You are correct. But I reconnected all parts. Still no boot, just fans and drives...

Let's assume that it isn't the power supply.;)

I wonder if it is shorting out? You could try testing it out of the case with just the mobo, ram, and video card. You shouldn't hear any beeps when you power up.

Speaking of beeps! Do you hear any when you power up! If something isn't right we might be able to sort it out through the beep codes.

I just ripped the PSU out of my #2 main rig and no luck :( But no beep codes from rig #1. I'm going to take it out of the case and look over it. But I am now 80% sure that this is a mobo problem. But it could be the CPU.

@dudleycpa, Thank you so much. I had a lot of doubts it would work from simply removing it from the case! It now runs fine. Now I've gotta find why it had the problem. Thanks you guys for the help :)

All the parts are back in the case and now it will not work :( I can not understand it.

ben333 said:
All the parts are back in the case and now it will not work :( I can not understand it.
Could be a grounding issue, a loose cable that you did not see...etc...etc...you can't really figure it out because it isn't doing it anymore.

But, hey, thats a good thing!!!! :bday:

ben333 said:
??? It won't run...
OH! Sorry, it is kinda late, I totally read that wrong.

Remove everything from the case and sit the mainboard on a wooden table and start hooking stuff up. This will eliminate the case as an issue.

EDIT: Wait, if it doesn't even turn on now, that means your PSU died...EXACTLY what mine did...see if you can jumpstart the powersupply.

No... I set it on a plastic table (yay, even better) and it ran fine. I put it back in the case and no video to the screen but fans and HDD ran.

ben333 said:
No... I set it on a plastic table (yay, even better) and it ran fine. I put it back in the case and no video to the screen but fans and HDD ran.
Then you have a ground/shorting problem. Check to make sure that none of the metal standoffs are touching any metal on the back of the board and that they all match up with a hole. Also, check the back of the motherboard around the holes to make sure that you don't have a trace that is open.

UPDATE:
I covered the MB tray with plastic and made holes for standoffs. IT WON'T RUN!:bang head I even scraped paint from around the PSU screws to ground it.:mad:

Back