• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disk11

I'm building a C2D rig (see sig) and funds may be limited as I try to finish the build. I really want a 8800 GTS 640MB but I dunno if I can afford it.

Given I have a 20" WS monitor, what in the ~$100 range will hold me over until I can get a better card, a high end card from the last generation, ie 7900/7800 or x1800/x1900, or a mid range current generation card, ie 8600GTS?

I think the 8600GT pretty much matches the 7900GS except with DX10 support. Or am I wrong? :confused:

I appear to have more money than I thought before, I've got about ~$170 after I buy my mobo. I'm thinking about getting a x1950/7900GT and waiting for the upcoming R650/G92 to come out. I figure this would make the new DX9 stuff playable, and I'm concerned about the current gen not playing DX10 very well.

Are the next gen cards going to be cheaper than the current DX10 cards? Cuz $170 can get you an 8600GTS/2600XT now? Hard to say how great anything supports DX10 when there really isn't much for DX10 games yet IMO. But I'd have to admit I haven't really kept up with the DX10 card discussions for a while since I have no interest in one yet.

Id actually buy something low end for the moment. and then wait till Christmas for the new cards to come out and then the prices should drop on what is out now.

Looks like I missed all the deals, the best thing I can find is a x1950GT for $130 shipped from newegg or a 7950GT for $145 @ zipzoomfly after a rebate. Any thoughts?

Back