• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

assigning affinity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greyharte

okies so i now own an opteron 165 dual core and i keep seeing where folks talk about assigning the core affinity of specific applications

so how does 1 accomplish this?

I am assuming you are using windows the way i do it is open task manager select the processes tab then right click on the process and from the drop down box you will see affinity select that and you can then select which core to use with that process but when you reboot you will have to repeat this procedure.

okies ... didnt think to look there ... thanks for the reply ... is there a way to permanently assign affinity?

greyharte said:
okies ... didnt think to look there ... thanks for the reply ... is there a way to permanently assign affinity?
affinity.jpg

You might be able to create a shortcut to the program with something added to it....I'll look.

EDIT: FOUND IT:
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/cpu-affinity-made-easy-67317.html

You will have to create shortcuts for all the programs you want to apply this to, but it sticks ;)

appreciate ... what im trying to accomplish is rather than having to instruct "other" family members on the whyhows and whatfors i would just go ahead and permanently assign the processes and avoid the confusion eg: leave all system processes on core 0 and run my games (wow, eq2) on core 1

Last edited:
greyharte said:
appreciate ... what im trying to accomplish is rather than having to instruct "other" family members on the whyhows and whatfors i would just go ahead and permanently assign the processes and avoid the confusion eg: leave all system processes on core 0 and run my games (wow, eq2) on core 1
If it is for normal applications, Windows manages that perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry about it ;)

well i realize there is madness in my method ... however i usually like, at least when playing eq, to have several browser windows open at the same time ... for variing reasons ... the problem w/ my old sngl core is that had a tendancy to load things down pretty hard especially in eq ... i figure if i can separate out and specify tasks/cores it would improve overall performance

greyharte said:
well i realize there is madness in my method ... however i usually like, at least when playing eq, to have several browser windows open at the same time ... for variing reasons ... the problem w/ my old sngl core is that had a tendancy to load things down pretty hard especially in eq ... i figure if i can separate out and specify tasks/cores it would improve overall performance
I doubt you will see a difference, I run many things in the background (music, browser, IM, avg, sygate, etc). And I don't see a difference if I have them open/affinity set. They only take a few clock cycles especially if it isn't doing anything.

Back