• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

software induced artifacting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

So recently I had to fix my PC because of random BSOD's. Ended up finding out it was the sound card drivers. In the process, I did a lot of software changes. Removed OC's and went back to all stock drivers. Somewhere in the process of trying to figure out my BSOD, my video card began to randomly artifact when running 2 instances of WoW.

I know a lot of you are going to say that WoW was not designed to running 2 at the same time, but I have been doing it for years and only recently have I began to have problems. People were telling me that the BSOD's were caused because wow was just not meant to be running 2 at a time, and I almost believed that. Eventually found that there was something wrong with my PC.

The artifacts are of the weird shape flavor. So I am sure that means it has to do with the memory. My gpu is water cooled and I do have some zalman ram sinks on them. There is also a decent amount of airflow across them. It could be better though.

When it does artifact, it is random. It is only when 2 WoW are open. Sometimes it happens right when I open the second wow, sometimes it take an hour. Sometimes all I have to do is restart one wow and ill be clear for an entire gaming session. Sometimes a reboot is needed. Some days it just artifacts the whole day and some days it never artifacts.

my card going bad, again? Of course, my video card speeds have been stock while trying to figure this out. Although OC'n seems to have no affect on it.

--pak

Turned out to be lack of airflow across the memory heat sinks. I set up a fan to blow over the top of the card and all the funny shapes went away.

--pak

Back