• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone stuffed their boards OC'ing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doitforthegals

Registered
I've been through 3 motherboards, i don't know if OC'ing stuffed them or they were already defective.

So far i've been through 2x Asus P5B-V Boards
And 1x Asus P5K Board.

I OC'ed to 430*7 on my E6300 thus obtaining 3.0ghz, the temps were fine as i purchased a 120mm cooler for the cpu.

It seems the problem started a few months later, random crashes, artifacts in games etc.

In all three cases it was found that the motherboard was the culprit found by computer technicians.

In all three cases the PCIE was locked at 100mhz and everything was done properly, OC's Orthos 12hr+ stable. Just seems odd to me that 3 boards in 6 months?

I will more than likely not OC on my next board just in case it is the OC'ing causing the problems.

Has anyone else experienced/suspected board problems as a result of their OC'ing?

I fried an old Abit IC7 by running a Prescott at super high voltage. But, I don't understand why you toasted 3 with no more than you're doing. Maybe you have a crappy PSU that is taking them out.

I'm with batboy.

The card isn't getting enough juice.

-sigh-

I told him this in his other thread. I'm suspecting bad capactiors in His antec TP, RMA it they will send you a seasonic one.

I'm with batboy.

The card isn't getting enough juice.

-sigh-

I told him this in his other thread. I'm suspecting bad capactiors in His antec TP, RMA it they will send you a seasonic one.

You're not being very helfull, my PSU has S/c o/v and u/v protection, 3x 18A rails, if you knew anything about PSU you would know that's plenty of juice. Maybe it could be bad capacitors but there is no shortage of juice, would you have me go out and but a 1kw psu just for a single 8800gts, asus mobo, and an e6300? Overkill.

You're not being very helfull, my PSU has S/c o/v and u/v protection, 3x 18A rails, if you knew anything about PSU you would know that's plenty of juice. Maybe it could be bad capacitors but there is no shortage of juice, would you have me go out and but a 1kw psu just for a single 8800gts, asus mobo, and an e6300? Overkill.
Yes, well, when the caps go bad on the psu, the voltages go way out of whack and you know that is bad for your components. That could be very likely the cause of 3 motherboards dying.

What voltage do the load 12v, and 3.3v rails measure? Do they fluctuate under load? I still have a couple old Antec PSUs. They used to be great, but a couple years ago they went downhill. There are some known issues with the Antec caps.

I've been through 3 motherboards, i don't know if OC'ing stuffed them or they were already defective.

So far i've been through 2x Asus P5B-V Boards
And 1x Asus P5K Board.

I OC'ed to 430*7 on my E6300 thus obtaining 3.0ghz, the temps were fine as i purchased a 120mm cooler for the cpu.

It seems the problem started a few months later, random crashes, artifacts in games etc.

In all three cases it was found that the motherboard was the culprit found by computer technicians.

In all three cases the PCIE was locked at 100mhz and everything was done properly, OC's Orthos 12hr+ stable. Just seems odd to me that 3 boards in 6 months?

I will more than likely not OC on my next board just in case it is the OC'ing causing the problems.

Has anyone else experienced/suspected board problems as a result of their OC'ing?

Artifacts occurs USUALLY because of video cards.. What card do you run, also what PSU?

I'm with JamesXP, that PSU is killing those motherboards. You dont happen to fry three motherboards in six months under normal OCing conditions.

PSU problems could also explain artifacting in games, if the 12v rail is fluctuating under load, its going to cause problems with that 8800GTS.

Thanks for your help. The mobo is still very much working fine in Windows and games that use PS 2.0. It's only when i play more complex games with PS 3.0 that i start getting BSOD, lockups and restarts, artifacts. I'm going by what the pc tecs have told me,

'We're 90% sure your problems are the result of a faulty motherboard, send it to us so we can send it to Asus for further testing, this may take up to 2 weeks'

Now i'm going to replace my motherboard and PSU at the same time, they are both under warranty so they can only replace it for the same model, no refunds can be issued. That means i can only have a replacment Antec 550W 18Ax3 PSU and a replacment Asus P5K board.

Hopefully this will solve these ongoing issues and hopefully they will accept the seperate RMA for the PSU too.

Thanks again.

If i send my Motherboard in for RMA, i will be without my pc for up to 2 weeks.
If i RMA my PSU i'm sure they will replace it on the spot.

Should i maybe RMA the PSU first, throw the new one in and then see if i still have problems OR should i just be without the pc and RMA both?

The reason i ask is maybe the mobo is still ok, maybe the PSU is just messing with it occasionaly, what do you think? As mentioned in the post above my pc still works fine, only crashes in games that use pixel shader 3.0

Thanks.

I've seen PSU take out motherboards and other components, but I've never seen a motherboard go bad and take out a PSU (although anything is possible I guess). It might be worth a shot to replace the PSU first and see if that solves your problem.

Just because your local technicians say it's the motherboard, doesn't mean squat. Who knows how apt they are at actually servicing. They might have found the bad mobo and then stopped there, never even looking at the PSU because they don't know the history of the system. Like others have said, you don't just lose 3 motherboards. It REALLY sounds like the PSU. Also, just so you are aware having 18A*3 rails is less than ideal. The best situation would to have them all on 1 rail. It is not like you have 18*3 = 54A of power there. You have to be diligent and know where everything is hooked up and be aware that you are not overloading 1 particular rail. Then even after that, once you get close to 18A on one rail, you basically "loose" Amps, because you cannot go right up to that 18A barrier.

I would strongly suggest something like a PC Power & Cooling that has just the one main rail. I did find this, you'll notice it has 1x49A 12V rail, even though 18*3 > 49. The one 49A rail is much, much better. This particular product is extreme overkill for your situation. But it was quick, and is only an example.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

The whole Pixel Shader 3.0 just has to do with using more power to run. Doesn't really have to do with it being PS3.0. Also, when you overclock a CPU, it takes alot more power to run at those higher speeds.

I'm with Maverick. Local tech's are out to take ur money most of the time. And it's most likely a PSU.

Back