• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally- An upgrade at work!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Finally we got a computer upgrade at work!! We were stuck on old 1.8Ghz Celerons with 256Mb RAM and a 40Gb HD.... Just think about trying to multi task on those.... ick... BUT... We just got some new Dells in last week. E6300's, 1GB or DDR2 667, 120GB HD, DVD/CDRW combo drives, 1GB thumb drive for us to store important info on, AND Dell 20" 2007WFP LCD's... and a nice little optical mouse.. no more ball mice! Thank god :D just wanted to share my happiness with everyone!

Sounds sweet, my lab just got dual 3.0 xeon's and 4 GB RAM systems.

Wow you guys got the 2007WFPs, that's sweet, congrats! My wife's office just did an upgrade too. They actually were given a choice as to what they wanted for monitors. They said 2x 19" Dell LCDs or 1x 24" Dell LCD. I told her to get the 24", everyone else went for the 19"s. I am not actually sure which 19s they get, but I doubt they are the 1907FPV's. Safe bet she's getting the 2407-HC though :D

My office PC is a Dell, not sure which model but it has an E6400, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD, DVD-R(W) and a 19" LCD. it makes my life easier.

Forgot to ask what you do? I see your Loc: is USMC. So your a jarhead... whats your MOS? I did 3 yrs. in the worlds finest cruise line followed by 2yrs. with the boy scouts in an Infantry unit. My brother is a Marines with the 1/9.

My work PC right now is a 2.8 p4 =) when budget time comes around im gonan try and swing a quad core .

I've got you all beat. I have a P3 733MHz w/384mb ram, a 16gb hdd, and a gforce MX2 video card, running XP Pro. Topping it off is a 17" crt and a kicked in front panel.

It can do anything I need it to, as long as I only want to do one thing at a time, and don't plan on leaving the office on time.

i think my engineering tech class at high school is getting some new computers for auto CAD. the local teen center, a place for teens to "stay out of trouble", is getting some new stuff too for computer games. before, they have 5 Dells with p4 2.8s and a nvidia 5200 and 512 RAM.

hopefully, I can snag a few of these to fold with.

I've got you all beat. I have a P3 733MHz w/384mb ram, a 16gb hdd, and a gforce MX2 video card, running XP Pro. Topping it off is a 17" crt and a kicked in front panel.

It can do anything I need it to, as long as I only want to do one thing at a time, and don't plan on leaving the office on time.

LOL Nice! Not that I actually use em for much anymore but I have a Dell P3 450MHz, 384MB Ram, ATI Rage Pro 2xAGP 8MB, 60GB HDD, Dell 17" CRT running XP Home. Have almost exact same setup with a Celly 450 running Win2000 too. Front panels are still not kicked in though ;)

lol! My boss must have just had a bad day a while back, because it's in the perfect spot for kicking, and I know I didn't do it.

Thankfully it isn't as bad as our spare pc. P2 400MHz, 128mb ram, the PSU is held in with packing tape, and you start it by touching two bare wires to the chassis :p

At our school we have a bunch of dells. 3GHz P4's w/ HT, 1GB RAM, 17" CRT, 80GB HDD. Plus we also get about 5gigs of network storage. Those are the new machines. The old ones are P3 ~500MHz, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD? and a junky crt. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't haha.

Our PCs at work aren't that bad. We did a round of upgrades a few years ago and were all running Athlon XPs around the 2500 range with at least 512mb of RAM and using the Nforce2 boards with the onboard Geforce4MX. I managed to get 1gb in my machine because of my involvement with computer support here.

The really sad thing though is our internet connection speed :(. Did a test to show one of the guys thats involved in possible upgrading it. Was able to get 117kbps(366kbps if its 6AM and I'm the only one at the company) as they split a T1 line with our phone system and among our 3 divisions in separate buildings. Also the phone split is dedicated to the phone as in if they are using 1 line vs 5 lines it still takes half the connection. They are suppose to upgrade to a better router so that the phones only grab part of the T1 when it is in use which would free up 384 per line.

Would be nice when I need to grab a file off our server in the other building to not have to plan breaks around the time it takes to open it. Also being able to watch a video without having to let it completly download to avoid the BUFFERING...BUFFERING will be nice ;)

lol! My boss must have just had a bad day a while back, because it's in the perfect spot for kicking, and I know I didn't do it.

Thankfully it isn't as bad as our spare pc. P2 400MHz, 128mb ram, the PSU is held in with packing tape, and you start it by touching two bare wires to the chassis :p

LOL - Well if I ever need to hotwire a computer I know who to ask :)

The ones at my school are mostly 2.4ghz P4s, 512mb ram, onboard video, and no restrictions on network storage (the server has a 1/2TB Raid5). Better then my old school which had those thin clients (no HDDs, just embedded windows and streamed apps across the network). I think they had CPUs <300mhz because they were able to be passively cooled in a small book like case with no fans what so ever. But the digital design tech lab made up for it. 16 computers, dual [email protected] each, 4gb ram. Atleast they had an excuse to go all out on those, rendering 3D animations isnt easy.

Celeron 1.8's are really more than fast enough for normal business apps. If I had been the IT guy making the call, I would have upgraded everyone's ram to 512, and left it at that.

If you're talking programmers or people that have unusual need for computing power, that might be different, but for people that are word processing and checking email, those are really more than powerful enough. Storage should be on file servers in a corporate environment anyways, so that stuff can be accessible to those who need it, and so that everything is automatically backed up.

Our school computers suck...

Either:

P3 500's w/ 320/512RAM(Optiplex GX110)
P2 400's w/ 64 ram (eek) (Siemens)
Newest ones are P4's ( don't know the speed the're GX620s)

P2/P3 is pretty rough for general office use now. They don't websurf well at all. Flash just owns them. Those need to be upgraded.

When I was in college, they had Mac Classics all over campus for us to check email. They worked fine for email, but that's about all I'd use them for. (At the time I had a PPC 601 100/120 mhz w/ 104 mb RAM, which was pretty high end, so mac classics were pretty obsolete even then.)

Celeron 1.8's are really more than fast enough for normal business apps. If I had been the IT guy making the call, I would have upgraded everyone's ram to 512, and left it at that.

If you're talking programmers or people that have unusual need for computing power, that might be different, but for people that are word processing and checking email, those are really more than powerful enough. Storage should be on file servers in a corporate environment anyways, so that stuff can be accessible to those who need it, and so that everything is automatically backed up.

You're neglecting the fact that Dell gives companies/schools pretty good deals

Back