• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yes, another vista 64 bit thread...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterCraft

Ok, I've searched all the posts on it, nothing really applies to my situation.

I'll admit I don't always pay for software, (most of the time I do, I'm about to give microsoft $200 for a dvd that cost them around $6 to make :beer: )

but I do have a lot of music, legit and non.

What I mean by that is, I have a ton of music with no protections on them at all, local band recordings, live recordings, my own stuff etc.

as well as a small amount of downloaded music, and the stuff I copied from cd's I've bought.

not to mention I watch animes like bleach and naruto.

I DJ in real life part time, so I need to make sure vista can play back everything I need it to.

with 64 bit, am I still going to be able to do all of this? Or will that lame DRM / FDS bs stop me?

64 bit is no more or less DRM'd than 32 bit. The difference is only XP vs Vista.

ahh. So is this going to be a problem then? I mean, losing one or two types of media wouldn't be too bad, but losing a majority of them in playability might ruin it for me.

also does VLC work in vista?

If you are concerned about DRM issues, avoid Vista.

This is the only reference to Vista that I could find on their website:

Release VLC 0.8.6b media player

2007-04-19

From the feedback we have had so far on the latest version of VLC media player, 0.8.6a, we are proud to introduce a new bugfix release, namely 0.8.6b, aimed at fixing some annoying bugs. But with a few improvements too.
It includes a new teletext subtitles decoder, new flash video decoders and Mac OS X interface improvements. It fixes many crashes, especially during fullscreen on Mac OS X, on Vista and the browser plugin.

This suggests to me that it runs, but that it's buggy and crashes more. I don't know for sure though.

VLC works fine in Vista and has played every file I have tried to play on it. Vista doesn't disallow you from playing unprotected files, the DRM is there to stop you from playing protected files without authorization.

I'm playing all of my old MP3s in 32 bit Vista using Windows Media Player. I can't recall an exact moment, but I do believe I have played MP3s in 64 bit Vista as well.

Back