• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Win10 system seems like it's lagging?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
So I built this system for my office and for some reason, I get some mouse judder, seems like it is slow at times, running low on memory or something. I've seen this kind of thing before when the system is strained, stressed, out of memory, etc, but there's no way on this one. It's brand new with next to nothing installed.

So here's my specs:

Intel Core i3 8100
EVGA E371 H370
16GB Corsair DDR4 (8x2) running dual channel 1066
Geforce GTX 750 Ti
Samsung MZ-V6E 960 EVO PCIe NVMe M.2 250gB

So I initially thought maybe because I was running dual 24" monitors off the built-in i3 video, this could be causing it. But I've since installed the GTX 750 Ti and it didn't fix the problem.

I've run at least 4 different brands of mouse, from the current Amazon Basics version to a wired trackball. All of them do it.

It happens worse when I am playing music from a thumb drive. So I moved the music to my desktop (only have a 128GB SSD). This helped somewhat, but it still happens a little bit.

All I have installed is Win 10 64-bit, Office, Chrome, VLC and Avast, along with manufacturer motherboard drivers. There's no way this system should be stressed. The only weak point I can think of is the SSD is so small - oops - I just checked, it's a 232gig drive - I think it's a Samsung. So that's not a bottleneck, to say the least.

Something with a page file or something? I do notice it is worse with a bunch of windows or tabs open, but I'm talking 6-8, not like 20-30. There is NO WAY I can think this system should be stressed, but the mouse judder drives me farging NUTS!

What happens if you switch to a single monitor?

Do you have the latest bios installed?

Check for Windows 10 updates happening in the background.

Ctrl/Alt/Delete and look at what resources (CPU/Memory/Disk) might be in heavy use.

What happens if you switch to a single monitor?

Do you have the latest bios installed?

Check for Windows 10 updates happening in the background.

Ctrl/Alt/Delete and look at what resources (CPU/Memory/Disk) might be in heavy use.

Sorry, should have mentioned that, yes I tried turning off the 2nd monitor (hell, I almost never use it anyways) and actually unplugging it from the computer.

As far as background, well, I've run Task Manager, nothing demanding seems to be running, nothing shows any significant usage of resources, and of course, Windows has seemingly hundred of processes running, and Chrome is the most 'demanding' utilizing currently just under a gig of memory.

So... no, nothing I can see that is major. And this has been going on for weeks on end, it's an intermittent problem, every few minutes or so when I am switching tabs or moving my mouse around for whatever, it'll lag for a half-second or so. Once in a while for 2-3 seconds.

<edit> Oh, and CPU utilization stays at like 1-3% for the most part, it seems like.

Last edited:
I would do a fresh install of the OS.

What about the bios version? You didn't respond to that question.

I would do a fresh install of the OS.

What about the bios version? You didn't respond to that question.

Yeah, sorry, I don't know about the BIOS version. Looking at CPU-Z I have version 1.01, looks like there is a 1.07 avail from July of this year. I guess I can flash the BIOS at some point to see if that helps. I'm hesitant to do a completely fresh OS install, but I have so little installed on this machine, it wouldn't mean much, as far as losing anything. I guess I could try it.

I would like to see how it would perform with a clean install of Windows using only the drivers Windows 10 supplies unless of course, Windows 10 doesn't have some of them.

I had this problem on a work machine recently. Everything worked, but just felt more laggy than it should. Everything took that fraction of a second longer than normal but it was more than enough to be felt.

Never figured out the cause. Tried everything I could think of, like updating drivers, bios, repair Windows. Nothing obvious was showing in Task Manager. What got rid of it eventually was "reset Windows" which is practically a re-install anyway.

Well, I just completed a reinstall and it hasn't fixed things. I did update the BIOS, I did install the chipset driver from EVGA for the H370 and NVIDIA driver for the 750 Ti. Audio driver from EVGA. WiFi/Bluetooth driver I didn't need, as they worked out of the box with the Windows 10 64-bit install.

I'm at a loss... if I plug in a USB drive, like one with my music on it, just to move it over to the SDD, it lags to the point of being pretty much unusable. Mouse won't move but in herky jerky stops and starts every few seconds. I just don't get it... this machine ought to be better than my home rig, honestly, at least for what I'm using it for. All that is installed now is Chrome, Office, Avast and VLC. Literally nothing else. Plenty of SSD room, plenty of RAM, plenty of CPU speed, nothing running in the background, I've turned off OneDrive and NVidia's stupid app that runs in the background...

Dangit.

So I am finding high usage in my WMI Provider Host service, I went into WMI-Activity operational logs in the Event Viewer and wrote down a bunch of processes that seem to be causing errors. They're all over the map, from Avast, to Chrome to NVidia to KMS., etc.

WMI Provider Host on my machine seems to be running around 26% CPU usage at rest. Even with pretty well everything else closed except Task Manager. This seems from what I'm reading to be a symptom of something else entirely. I really don't know what else to do about it other than try to get another version of Windows to install? I don't know, the one I am using has KMS and Office slipstreamed into the installation. I guess I need to go with a totally stripped down factory version and try that?

Suckage. I am using the same version on my home boxes with no problems. I don't get it.

Ok, new fresh install of Windows 10 64 straight from Microsoft. Seems like it might be a TINY bit better, but the lagging is still there when I plug in a flash drive, either on the front of the case or the motherboard USB slots in the back.

WMI Provider Host service isn't using all that CPU now, but the performance isn't substantially better, either. The mouse and mouse pointer still skip and jump.

I can't understand it.

Try a Linux live CD/USB and see how that behaves. At least that will show if it is something to do with Windows, or if it is something more fundamental to your hardware.

Unplug all USB devices except for the mouse and see if there is still a problem. If there is still a problem I would suspect USB controller defect and would advise to RMA the motherboard.

Have you tried different memory? I note you have one 16gb RAM stick installed? What is the maximum size per module you can install on that motherboard. And with only one stick do you have it in the slot specified by you motherboard manual? Some boards can be picky about which slots are used when all are not filled.

I don't know, alot of those seem to be posts about mouse driver issues and such. I've done multiple wipes and reinstalls from fresh, I can't wrap my head around how it could be a mouse driver issue.

Unplug all USB devices except for the mouse and see if there is still a problem. If there is still a problem I would suspect USB controller defect and would advise to RMA the motherboard.

Can't RMA, bought used here. If needs be, I'll buy another MB. There are zero other USB devices in use right now and it is still going on. Only thing is the wireless mouse USB transmitter in the rear motherboard slot. I have tried it in multiple positions and on the front USB ports as well.

Not to be "that guy", but did you try a fresh battery in the mouse?

It has done this with at least 4 different mice (meeses?) from Amazon Basics, to a decent Logitech to a wired trackball from Kensington, etc. I've spent more money buying special mice trying to fix this issue than I did on the MB itself. Both wired and wireless.

Have you tried different memory? I note you have one 16gb RAM stick installed? What is the maximum size per module you can install on that motherboard. And with only one stick do you have it in the slot specified by you motherboard manual? Some boards can be picky about which slots are used when all are not filled.

There are only 2 memory slots, and each of them has an 8 gig Corsair stick in it.

I honestly am about to probably look at buying a new MB and just rebuilding and dropping this H370 in the trash. I dunno.

some of the things ive found in win10 that need to be disabled right off the bat in settings > system > notifications and actions turn off all notifications. then go into run > services.msc disable windows search and background intelligent transfer service, if you are on an older version of win10 also disable superfetch. After that reboot and see if that helps any.

some of the things ive found in win10 that need to be disabled right off the bat in settings > system > notifications and actions turn off all notifications. then go into run > services.msc disable windows search and background intelligent transfer service, if you are on an older version of win10 also disable superfetch. After that reboot and see if that helps any.

I have disabled notifications, but I will go check into the other things today. The version I have on there right now was downloaded directly from Microsoft a week ago.

Have you tried another USB transmitter?

Each of the various mice I tried had its own USB transmitter/receiver. In addition one of the mice (a trackball) was wired, not wireless.

I did go disable Windows Search, but haven't had a chance to do much. It seemed at the time like it might have helped, but it is often variable and I didn't get a chance to stress the system to see.

Friday I updated my home computer monitor which doubles as a secondary gaming monitor for my son so we can Xbox together.

I went from this:

Attach883_20190927_170213-X2.jpg

To THIS:

20190927_200504-XL.jpg

The 65" on the left is what I am typing on right now. It is a little odd and disconcerting sitting this close. Now I am thinking the previous 48", while not as good for game purposes, was probably more ideal for computer use. :(

Back