• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to Win10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

With the rig in my sig file, will it run fine with Win10?

I don't use this for gaming- just surfing the net, Office, and basic music file management, and digital photography.

As my gear is much older, I wasn't sure.

Of course if I get back into gaming-I'd build a new rig.

Absolutely. I have Win10 installed on a Core2Quad Q9650 system & it runs fine (even though its primary use is running Folding@Home).
I also have two Ivy Bridge systems running Win10 with Office2010 & Adobe Lightroom 4 on one of them. The other is a HTPC.

Really?? I thought for sure I would not be able to upgrade, or if I did, some of my parts, like graphics card etc, would crap for the basics I need.

I love Win7, and I really hate the forced updates of Win10, but slowly but surely software orgs are not always supporting Win7 so I'm considering doing it. Thank you.

Are there any caveats I should know about in terms of upgrading, other than backing up my data?

If you do an update from Win7 to Win10 follow that up with a fresh install of Win10. You should be able to use the Win7 key, if it is even asked for. The mobo should be registered to Win10 after the update. I've done the upgrade on several systems & every one of the first few ran into some sort of problem after the upgrade (weeks to months later). I decided it's less of a hassle to just to a clean install.

Another option is to just clean install of Win10 from the get-go, using the Win7 key when asked for. It should just work, but me, always doubting MS, always do the upgrade route. lol

If you do an update from Win7 to Win10 follow that up with a fresh install of Win10. You should be able to use the Win7 key, if it is even asked for. The mobo should be registered to Win10 after the update. I've done the upgrade on several systems & every one of the first few ran into some sort of problem after the upgrade (weeks to months later). I decided it's less of a hassle to just to a clean install.

Another option is to just clean install of Win10 from the get-go, using the Win7 key when asked for. It should just work, but me, always doubting MS, always do the upgrade route. lol

I always doubt MS. So a fresh install is better than the update from 7 to 10? I didn't know my Win7 key would work for Win10.

Maybe...just maybe I will do it. I feel like something will go wrong at this point hah.

That's why I've done the upgrade from an existing Win7 install several times, followed by a fresh install to Win10. If the upgrade fails it rolls you back to a working Win7.

But that has only happened once for me & that was a Win8.1 to Win10 upgrade. It's an odd Foxconn mobo supporting Sandy/Ivy CPUs. I wonder if Win10 had issues finding generic drivers to get through the update.

That's why I've done the upgrade from an existing Win7 install several times, followed by a fresh install to Win10. If the upgrade fails it rolls you back to a working Win7.

But that has only happened once for me & that was a Win8.1 to Win10 upgrade. It's an odd Foxconn mobo supporting Sandy/Ivy CPUs. I wonder if Win10 had issues finding generic drivers to get through the update.

So upgrade from Win 7 to Win10, in case there's a failure, I'll still have my existing OS.

But if it works, then immediately install Win10.

Will I need to update my BIOS? I haven't done that in a while because everything works. I always feel it's not broke, don't "fix" it.

1. So upgrade from Win 7 to Win10, in case there's a failure, I'll still have my existing OS.

2. But if it works, then immediately install Win10.

3. Will I need to update my BIOS? I haven't done that in a while because everything works. I always feel it's not broke, don't "fix" it.
1. Yes.
2. Not necessarily immediately, but certainly within a couple weeks.
3. I don't think BIOS version is too important, but that said, I'd probably want to be on the latest BIOS for your system.

1. Yes.
2. Not necessarily immediately, but certainly within a couple weeks.
3. I don't think BIOS version is too important, but that said, I'd probably want to be on the latest BIOS for your system.
thanks!!

Absolutely. I have Win10 installed on a Core2Quad Q9650 system & it runs fine (even though its primary use is running Folding@Home).
I also have two Ivy Bridge systems running Win10 with Office2010 & Adobe Lightroom 4 on one of them. The other is a HTPC.

I have an identical Q9650 on Win10. It's slow, but it runs.

I also ran it on my 2600K. It was functional and fine, and still gamed well.

Basically, if your rig can run Win7, it can run Win10 fine also.

It should run fine on that.
By no means ins the 2500K new tech anymore, but it wasnt a slouch either when it was.
I have my FX system on W10 since late 2019 and overall its been quite smooth.

Nevermore (in my sig) ran Win 10 just fine...

just a note... if you do the Upgrade and update path... there will be a certain point where Windows Update will stop working, (this was a known issue and they made a huge deal over fixing it in the next feature update.) and you'll need to use Microsoft's special update manager tool to continue to update to more recent builds.

you can avoid that hiccup with advice from above: download the most recent build to a flash drive and skip the whole windows update process.

PS: the GTX 670 is DX12 basic ready, but can't handle DX12 Ultimate (ray tracing, DLSS), and is still fine for most 1080p 60Hz gaming. especially if the game is 5+ years old.

another vote for fresh install over upgrade existing install.

also note of the windows 7 key thing, it will work for 10 how ever your key will be tied to the system information it was initially installed on. you can do minor upgrades like a video card and ram and such but if you totally replace the system you'll need to get a new license for that new system as your key will be tied to the old one.

cant shuffle keys any more basically. but a 10/11 key are pretty cheap online

after updates and upgrades I run these 2 scripts from an elevated command prompt,

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

and then

sfc /scannow

the first downloads a copy of your build, the second scans you system for corrupt files and replaces them with A fresh copy.
the first takes a bit to complete so just wait it out..

Back