• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Settings for a BFG 7950GT with Zalman VF900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chapel976

Registered
I've got a BFG 7950GT with a Zalman VF900Cu on it. I installed it originally just for the hell of it, but now I figure I might as well try to press it.
What would some safe settings to start pushing it to be?

I'm not sure what the stock settings/temperatures are, but I've got a 7900GS that I've volt modded (1.2V to 1.4V) and increased the stock clock from 500MHz to 690MHz and increased the stock memory clock from 690MHz to 815MHz. Basically all I did was run ATITool's 3D window, let that run for a couple minutes and if I saw artifacts, I'd back off a bit. Otherwise, I pushed the clock forward. Try that, if you run into a wall, look into volt mods!

well, I'd like to avoid doing physical mods and JUST using software if possible.

Then I'd suggest getting ATITool and start upping your clock speeds (one at a time). Start with your core speeds (LEAVE your memory alone for now), have the 3D window open and if you start to notice artifacting, back off until it doesn't. If the computer locks, then you found your limit, see how close you can get to that "locking number". Once you know about where the max is, drop your core speed to stock and start working on your memory.

Once you know where your maxes are, you can try to do both at the same time, if you get artifacts, back off both slightly until it stops.

There are stickies on overclocking, I'd suggest checking them out ;)

yeah, I was reading those
thanks for the tip on ATI Tool
someone told me to avoid 70°C

yeah, I was reading those
thanks for the tip on ATI Tool
someone told me to avoid 70°C
I don't know about the 7950's, but my first 8800 at stock would hit 79-80c under load. I would keep it below 70 if you could.

Ok, so at stock rates: (565/715)
I ran the 3Dmark06 Demo and saw a whopping 40°C...
wow.

So, I moved the sliders up to 590/730) and ran it again... same thing 40-41°
moving to 600/740, now breaking into the low low 50s (50-52)
Riva Monitoring at 600 showed a core clock at 621mhz and memory clock at 750.

So, I'm still 20° away from 70 at this point... How much more overhead do you think I have?

oh nice.
yeah, she's barely pushing MID 50s right now.
ONWARD!

Have you tried going beyond that or were you seeing issues?

That "test" utility is useless. Use ATI tool to find what the speeds can be set to and use RivaTuner to have it set those at startup.

So, this is weird
in Riva I have the clock set to 625/775
but when I do the tests and run the monitor, Core clock shows 643mhz, mem clock shows 774
The card is a BFG 7950GT OC. Is there some overclocking built in that the software isn't seeing?

crap, I have to do this all over again
apparently I was behind on 3dmark06... I upgraded to 1.1.0 and now my results are LOWER then they were when I first started doing it (5044 with current settings vs 5094 with stock settings and an older version of 3dmark06

also, when I submitted my results, they said that I was on an unapproved driver set and I'm now downloading Forceware 162.22

blarg.
Gonna have to baseline it again.

is it normal to see the 3dmark score PLUMMET after overclocking?

Running it stock I get a 3dMark06 score of 5139
overclocked to 625/775 I get 4723?

weird
I lowered everything a little bit 620/770
now I'm getting 5427

I think I'll stick with that for now.

yeah, it doesn't make sense
I backed it off a bit and it's rockin
was running BF2 with 1600x1200 with 4x AA and I'm rockin 60-100fps..
I might actually lower the resolution a bit just because my old *** 19" CRT isn't the clearest at that resolution.

Back