• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting Logged out....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

William Rickert

Wasn't sure where to post this but when I go to some sub forums I get logged out. Specifically the General Hardware section. I can't even reply to my own thread. :confused:

Thanks,
Bill

There's a ton of stuff in your sig. Which link?

Anyway I'm just asking if I forgot anything so I doubt I broke any rules. It's my first rig and most of the stuff is on it's way. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't sitting at home waiting for more parts to come in the mail.

More than likely is that you are just missing the finer points of how our forums work. There are forums that members sometimes get locked out of but Gen Hardware is not one of them. So unless something is really amiss with our software to have auto locked you from those forums (and if you had been locked out, they should stop existing for you anyway), you need to look elsewhere for your problem.

Do you log into the forums every time you visit us and then log off before you leave? That is a possible cause for what you are seeing. Here is what would happen in that case:

Logging in sets a cookie in your browser. Logging out clears that cookie. However, there are two possible cookies and one of them does set an automatic logout. Look at the corner of your screen where you are logging in and you will see that there is a check box that just says “remember me”. If you do not check that box, you get the cookie that expires after like an hour or so. Then you are logged out and if you go to reply, you are not logged in to do so. If you do check the box, then you get the other cookie which does not expire for a few months and gets refreshed every time that you post anything.

Basically, what I do is I leave that option set at home and am never troubled by it. However, if I am posting from a friend's place or whatever, then I never check that box so that should I stupidly forget to log off when I am done, my account will be safe from whatever oddity someone else may do on my account.

Try that and see if that helps.

Oh and

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!

Back