• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu w/broken pin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Devil_Spawn

Registered
hi,
my friend recently gave me an old cpu of his due to an upgrade, however the cpu has a broken/missing pin. he says it used to work.
if i am understanding AMD's documentation correctly, the pin is called

KEY 1

is this pin of any use / is it safe to use in my motherboard?

(the cpu is an athlon 64 3200+)

I am not certain but I have read of people using a wire placed in the corresponding hole of the socket. You might be risking your MB and other devices though.

And :welcome: to the forums

i also have an old socket a athlon xp that i fried, would sticking one of those pins in the right place work?

is the cpu really that good so you want to risk your mobo and what ever might get fried if its not working. you could just get a cheap cpu and overclock it like crazy

ive got a 2800 athlon xp mobile
its not really much of a step up i know :p

how far do u think it will overclock? (stock cooling atm)

sry i cant help you on that, dont know anything about it, so ill let some of the more experienced members help you

after doing some more research apparently key pins are simply to stop the processor getting inserted into the wrong socket, so i think im gonna go for it

after doing some more research apparently key pins are simply to stop the processor getting inserted into the wrong socket, so i think im gonna go for it

If it was just a key pin that you lost, you're probably fine.

Keep us posted.

sure will,
gonna wait for a bigger heatsink/fan to arrive before i give it a go

A brother of a friend of mine accidently pulled out the CPU (FX-55) when he was removing the heatsink resulting in 3 broken pins, 2 of which remained in the socket. He soldered one of the pins back on and left the other 2 in the socket, poped it back in under in his water look at it worked well. That was 2 years ago and it's still working. So I'd say you are ok.

yes amds are built tuff, i was checking out my brother computer and wanted to see a amd chip up close, never saw one before we always had intel chips. so i unclip the heatsink and go to pull it out and once i took it out i was like WTF! there was no chip, then i look at the heatsink and its still attached. i was freaking out, no pins looked to be missing or bent. i put it back in and it worked fine, still does.

if you have broken pics i would try to solder on a piece of copper wire and straighten it. not sure if the solder would affect the performance or anything so i would try it on a junk proc.

woah freaky, you seem to be right, however the mobo is a nvidia nforce3-a, and im sure that only comes in 754 (correct me if im wrong)

its definitely mobile, and its definitely 2800 and im sure it aint sempron lol. but i dont think it does 64 bit :p

ill check it out later

For my old p4 with a few broken pins (fell on a hardwood floor from a desk :() I was able to stick the broken pins in the socket where they were supposed to be. It booted up fine and OCed to 4ghz (was a 3.0 prescott). I'd say give it a go :D

knew it existed! :p
53z7fjc.jpg
noticing the small level 2 cache also i think the xp 3200+ would be a reasonable step up

well, the cpu i was using (the 2800) randomly died the day i was given the cpu 0_o

anyway... i installed it and its working fine :D

need better cooling though

Back