• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just a n00b, need verification (Q6600 with DDR2-1066)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DMWhiteDragon

Ok i've read what i can from the stickys and such. Just after some confirmation and perhaps some expert tips

First off my 'bits':
Q6600 B3
eVGA 680i A1
4gb Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066 (With Fan)
MSI 8800 Ultra OC
850watt ThermalTake Tough Power
V1 ThermalTake CPU Cooler
(got a nice lil 22" widescreen, X-Fi card and speakers etc aswell of course)

Now i researched as best i could but i got all the above quite cheap so was hard to pass them up (hence an MSI card and a Q6600 B3 instead of a G0 cooler etc)

From what i have read here (which may or may not be totally correct):
Quads have about double the temp as they have 2 core2 duos inside them
Quads calculate FSB ratios the same as Duo's

What i was hoping to do originally was from a Wiki page there was a suggestion that possibly 1066 ram could match at 1:1 on a quad core, but from what i read here thats not the case? (i think they assumed that as there was 2x Duo's in there that you would double the FSB pumping)

If i OC my CPU/RAM to 1333 speeds it will be like 1:2 ? I'll need to OC my CPU and down clock my RAM to get 1:1 @ 1333 FSB?

Also any ideas at all on the voltage? (at 1.232 currently according to cpu-z) or do i have to guess my way through that? heh

Also from what i read lowering the multiplier and raising FSB for the same CPU Core Speed will still increase heat right? So there is no real point?

And one thing i can't find any help on at all.. PCI-E voltage :(
nVidia Monitor View (i understand its prob a %^&* app) is reading my PCI-E voltage @ 1.25v with a yellow alert next to it.

Is that an issue? heh should it be 1.20v ?

Any tips/help from anyone with similar experiance with these components?

:welcome: to OCF!

I am not sure on the quad's heat, Vc, etc. since I haven't used any yet, but FSB is the same for sure. I don't think I would characterize them as "twice as hot" since the cores are the same, but there are twice as many as duals, so cooling *capacity* becomes an issue a lot quicker. Others will definitely chime in and answer quad questions for you, but you definitely need better cooling for quad OCs just because there are more heat sources, even if each individual source is the same temp as cores on the duals.

333 FSB (quad pumped = 1333 and no, "quad pumped" has nothing to do with quad core procs). At 333FSB with 1:1 mem, your killer sticks will only be running @ DDR2-667 speed (333 x2 for dual data rate). To reach DDR2-1066 @ 1:1, you'll need to be at 533FSB.

"DDR2-1000" (2:3 ratio) should be available at 333 FSB and that's probably as close as you'll get to DDR2-1066 without going much over the mem rated speed or upping the FSB some more (355FSB would do it @ 2:3). I've never used a nV chipset board so maybe their BIOSes/DDR ratios are different, but long story short, to make use of fast memory on a low FSB, you will have to use a DRAM divider setting.

I don't think I've ever seen or touched a PCI-e voltage setting (guessing this is an nV chipset only thing?), but if that's what it is reading with a default BIOS, it should be OK.

Lowering the multi and increasing FSB will increase heat in the chipset for sure and maybe a bit in the proc, but the final clock will be the same, so the proc shouldn't be ridiculously (or probably even noticeably) warmer.

HTH. Nice setup!

Thanks for the welcome :)

All the bits are here except for the ram, (some kind of hold up on ram in general here it seems) im using a borrowed 2gb of corsair value (i think its 667 rated or there-abouts) i downclocked it to 533 and left the CPU at stock so its running 1:1 right now...

Everything seems to work sweet, games run great apps etc... however i am getting weird beeps from the case... single tone beeps very rarely tho they are enough to worry me a little, nothing seems to be overheating however. I'll have to investigate that and see whats up lol (aint comps a pain sometimes? heh)

So when the ram comes in i'll have a play i guess and see how i go... i had to move the card to the 2nd PCI-X 16 slot too as the ram coolers wont fit with it sticking out like a monster in slot 1 (will know for sure once they are here). That shouldn't be an issue i gather? i get around 11,500's in 3dmark 06 which seems right for a stock 8800 ultra machine on vista 64bit heh.

Hopefully my plan comes to fruition and i can get just a nice little extra kick from a modest OC on this little rig :)

From what i have read here (which may or may not be totally correct):
Quads have about double the temp as they have 2 core2 duos inside them. Quads do run hotter as they have a higher TDP (Thermal Design Power) but certainly not double the temps,
Quads calculate FSB ratios the same as Duo's...Yep, same FSB:RAM ratios, also use multipliers etc

What i was hoping to do originally was from a Wiki page there was a suggestion that possibly 1066 ram could match at 1:1 on a quad core, but from what i read here thats not the case? (i think they assumed that as there was 2x Duo's in there that you would double the FSB pumping)

To run at 533 FSB and 1:1 you would need to drop your multi to 7, that would give you 3.7 Ghz on the CPU and 1066 Mhz on the RAM (dual channel, thus 533 x 2 at 1:1 ratio), you would need a pretty good cooling setup and a good mobo, not impossible though:soda:

If i OC my CPU/RAM to 1333 speeds it will be like 1:2 ? I'll need to OC my CPU and down clock my RAM to get 1:1 @ 1333 FSB? Not sure what you mean here?

Also any ideas at all on the voltage? (at 1.232 currently according to cpu-z) or do i have to guess my way through that? heh That sounds a bit low, get the latest beta CPU-Z and look at the volatge, Coretemp will also give you your stock voltage or VID

Thanks for the welcome :)

All the bits are here except for the ram, (some kind of hold up on ram in general here it seems) im using a borrowed 2gb of corsair value (i think its 667 rated or there-abouts) i downclocked it to 533 and left the CPU at stock so its running 1:1 right now...

Everything seems to work sweet, games run great apps etc... however i am getting weird beeps from the case... single tone beeps very rarely tho they are enough to worry me a little, nothing seems to be overheating however. I'll have to investigate that and see whats up lol (aint comps a pain sometimes? heh)

So when the ram comes in i'll have a play i guess and see how i go... i had to move the card to the 2nd PCI-X 16 slot too as the ram coolers wont fit with it sticking out like a monster in slot 1 (will know for sure once they are here). That shouldn't be an issue i gather? i get around 11,500's in 3dmark 06 which seems right for a stock 8800 ultra machine on vista 64bit heh.

Hopefully my plan comes to fruition and i can get just a nice little extra kick from a modest OC on this little rig :)

Let us know when you're ready to OC, you have a great setup and should be able to get to 3.6 GHz in now time, also with that 8800 Ultra by your side you should get around 15 K on 3DMark06:)

http://www.shadowdevelopment.com/capture.jpg *fixed

There is a link to a SS, can't find the 1.40.9 beta cpu-z so i used the 1.40.5 one

Coretemp crashs (the beta) checked the forums and aparently i need to reboot and disable driver signing to get that going heh so i'll try that a bit later ( doing some coding atm, gotta get paid! :) )

I think 3.6ghz might be too far out of my reach with this little volcano cooler ;) but im hoping i can get to 2.8-3.0ghz without too much trouble anything extra is a bonus.

The cooler is set to medium on its switch so its not working very hard right now

Really the only thing i've done is unlink the CPU/RAM and downclock the RAM to 533 heh

I'll let you all know how i go when the ram is in :) (and weather or not i need to buy a better cpu cooler lol)

EDIT: flashed bios to P30, PCI-E Voltage now 1.2v and green... go figure heh

Last edited:
Back