• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my cpu fan E6420 is very loud! PIC inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nero1943

Registered
Hello, I have a E6420 2.13Ghz. I just took unplug the CPU fan to test whether it's the power supply or the CPU fan. It's the CPU fan! Is there anything I can do to make it quieter?:confused::confused:.

cpu004.jpg
cpu003.jpg

Well, the reason it is running loud is because the processor is heating up. It just speeds up the fan to try and keep the temps down ;)

There are two things you can do to help keep the noise down.

1) Get better case flow (more case fans)
2) Get an aftermarket heatsink

The second one will help the most by improving the cooling capacity of the cpu's heatsink.

I would second an aftermarket heatsink. Are you thinking of overclocking in the future? (cause you computer would be perfect for that) then you would be looking at something like a thermalright 120 ultra extreme.

If you don't plan on overclocking I think there are better heatsinks for silent operation but these don't cool you cpu as much though.

Looks like you're using Intel stock HSF, are you sure you've installed it properly with those 4 pins flushed ?

Set your BIOS to disable QFan at CPU fan, then check & post back what is the fan RPM when the CPU on "idle" and "at stock" speed ?

Yeah, depending on your budget replace the cpu cooler, and maybe the case too. A nice open case with a scythe ninja will make a huge difference in noise. If you're not ocing, the ninja can even run fanless, although I don't recommend that if you game or do other cpu intensive operations.

If you replaced the case with something breezier, like an Antec 900. And replaced the cpu cooler like the 120 extreme or scythe ninja, I would bet you drop 10c right off the bat... and your ready to overclock that rig!

My buddy thought his fan was rubbing against the HS (he is using the stock HSF as well). It turns out it was the fan wire rubbing against the fan.

Does your issue just sound like a loud fan "whoosh" or does it sound like something's rubbing?

Back