• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Faster CPU - Lower Score?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeyD360

I recently upgraded my CPU from a E4400 to a Q6600.

When I had the E4400 running at about 2.67Ghz the 3Dmark06 score was 5280, Now I have the Q6600 running at stock 2.4Ghz the score has dropped to 3870.

That seems waaaaaaay off to me.. why would this be the case.. none of my hardware has changed apart from the CPU which has been changed to a BETTER one.

Any ideas, tips or suggestions (apart from replace my Mobo and RAM and GPU lol)

Your right, in this case the Quad should give you the better score, can you post the two ORB links in this thread for us to have a look at.

I think it may have been a driver issue... I neglected to mention recently upgrading the ATi drivers to 7.8 and I think it just shat itself...
Was playing supreme commander and the display just went blank, but PC still running/sound/everything.
Anyway.. I rebooted and was greeted with the miracle of 640x480 4bit colour... woo!

So now I have removed tray tools and display drivers and windows has taken the reigns nicely so that I can type this and download other drivers.

Let you know how I go shortly.

how well coded is 06 for quad cores....

in some things a faster dual core is better then a slower quad core

took the drivers back to catalyst 7.6
I am leaving the card at stock speed for now, for the sake of reliability...

I hear the death rattle of "need a new board and graphics card" sounding.

This whole problem started 3 months ago when I said to myself "I'll just update the Graphics Card"

Since then its been RAM, MoBo, Case, E4400, Q6600, 22inch LCD...

And because the Vid Card was the first purchase I made I'm reluctant to replace it so soon, also because it means i would need new board and ram...

Why didnt I just keep my XP3000 and 9800pro?

Oh wait.. i know why - Supreme Commander.. and video encoding that doesnt take 24 hours per minute... haha

Problem solved....

I just got some new internals...

Asus PK5 Deluxe, HD2900XT and DDR2-800 ram has done the trick nicely... at stock speeds it sits at 10,570 on 3D06, so only way is up I suppose.

Back