• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTengineer

Hello storage gurus,

I am looking into buying one HD 250GB-320GB (16MB cache), so that I can have two HD's for backup. I will be using it as my main HD and I would eventually like to buy another one and set up some RAID, probably RAID1 because this is for work and it is imperative that I do not lose any data. Would I notice any difference in performance between a single 250GB and a single 320GB? Would one be better over the other for a RAID setup?

Oh yeah I would like to go with Seagate because I have heard of problems with Western Digitals and the board I am using. Thanks!

I seem to remeber reading somewhere a while back in an article where they tested 500gig drives vs others not sure brand. But i believe they said they got somewhat faster times with the bigger drives, i don't think it was very much though. I would think anymore it would be more a matter of how much space (money) when dealing with those two choices. Im not entirely sure on that though.

Basically the 250GB drive listed above only has one 250GB platter and the density is higher than any other drive. The 320GB drive has 2 160GB platters, and so it is not as dense. The denser the platter the closer the data is crammed together and the less the head has to move to access the data. The speed difference b/n the 2 may not be that noticeable, but you'll see it in benchmarks. I think there is a thread about some of the 320's having bad firmware, so be aware of that as well.

I had problems getting RAID0 to work on the P5K Premium w/ my WD HDDs, but I haven't tried the new F6 drivers, new Matrix drivers, or the beta BIOS yet. I gave up after the 5th install attempt. From what I've read on Asus forum you shouldn't have any issues if you get the Seagates.

Back