• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AIM - Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squashfx

i am quite new to vista and i do not understand why every time i click a link from a aim chat window ie will open instead of firefox? my firefox is the default browser anyone else have this problem?

I can only seem to find references to the fact that AIM uses IE as it's renderer, which would make one assume that it's hardcoded.

the question is why are you using AIM in the first place :p i thought alot of people here use trillian anywho. i do atleast :) i love it and i couldn't ever replace it.

Yeah, I believe it is hardcoded. If you use Trillian with the AIM plugin, profile links also open in IE, though that might be unrelated.

I'd go for Pidgin for another free solution.

Open the Start menu | Default Programs | Set Program Access and Computer Defaults. Do NOT open Set Your Default Programs, the first choice. Essentially there are 3 sections: Microsoft Windows, Non-Microsoft and Custom. The correct choice is Custom because Non-Microsoft disables Microsoft programs. It's necessary to click to expand Custom on the RH side of the window, in order to see the choices within. In this Window you can select Firebird as the default, and enable or disable other programs.

You can learn more about setting default programs in this Help topic available online...

Change which programs Windows uses by default
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/6ef5399f-a0b6-4133-ac76-41cda36b1ca21033.mspx

Yeah, I believe it is hardcoded. If you use Trillian with the AIM plugin, profile links also open in IE, though that might be unrelated.

I'd go for Pidgin for another free solution.

you can change this under preferences

text conversations > open links in new browser (uncheck)

that fixes the links in IE

Open the Start menu | Default Programs | Set Program Access and Computer Defaults. Do NOT open Set Your Default Programs, the first choice. Essentially there are 3 sections: Microsoft Windows, Non-Microsoft and Custom. The correct choice is Custom because Non-Microsoft disables Microsoft programs. It's necessary to click to expand Custom on the RH side of the window, in order to see the choices within. In this Window you can select Firebird as the default, and enable or disable other programs.

You can learn more about setting default programs in this Help topic available online...

Change which programs Windows uses by default
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/6ef5399f-a0b6-4133-ac76-41cda36b1ca21033.mspx

when i goto start > default programs > set your default programs> internet explorer > choose defaults for this program...

i see 3 thing i can not uncheck, i think the .url is the one thats messing me up in aim b.c if you hover your mouse over a link in it it does say hyperlink URL.. how the question is how do i get it uncheck and how do i get it into the firefox list:(

10ok00z.jpg

Back