• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte ga-965p-ds3 matrix raid setup problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shwick

I have 2 x 250gb seagate sata drives plugged into the purple raid ports on my gigabyte ga-965p-ds3 motherboard. Both hard drives were tested
on another system and are working properly, the jumpers are removed and they are running at 3.0GB/s. The motherboard is rev 3.3 with
the latest bios, f12.

When I restart my computer I press ctrl+G to enter the raid utility and I want to create two raid 0 arrays, an 80GB and a 420GB. After I create
the 80GB array I can't create another one- I get the message "No Enough Disk For RAID". But clearly only 40GB per drive has been allocated.
Even when I select a drive and press enter the info box tells me the raid config is using 40GB.

Info Box:

Model: ST3250410AS
Serial: ***********
Firmware: 3.AAA
Capacity: 250GB

Channel: SATA Port 0
Transfer: UDMA Mode 6
Addressing: 48-bit LBA
Support 3G: YES
RAID Config: RDD0 40GB

I am able to delete the raid array but it still only lets me make one at a time.

I have my bios set up properly too I think- Onboard SATA/IDE Device is enabled, Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode is RAID/IDE and SATA AHCI Mode is Disabled.

Isn't this the point of matrix raid? Create multiple arrays, the first one being the fastest?

Has anyone else has this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks

I'm afraid to tell you that your mobo doesn't support matrix raid since they're using ICH8 instead of ICH8R, correct me if I'm wrong !

I can see you're using latest Seagate drives with 100MB/s platter, if I were you, I won't put these good fast drives at the JMicron raid controller cause it will do more harm than good.

That JMicron chip is attached to PCI bus, better use them as standalone each without raid but attached to your Intel south bridge chip ICH8 which is much-much better than that crappy Jmicron chip.

I have 2 x 250gb seagate sata drives plugged into the purple raid ports on my gigabyte ga-965p-ds3 motherboard. Both hard drives were tested
on another system and are working properly, the jumpers are removed and they are running at 3.0GB/s. The motherboard is rev 3.3 with
the latest bios, f12.

When I restart my computer I press ctrl+G to enter the raid utility and I want to create two raid 0 arrays, an 80GB and a 420GB. After I create
the 80GB array I can't create another one- I get the message "No Enough Disk For RAID". But clearly only 40GB per drive has been allocated.
Even when I select a drive and press enter the info box tells me the raid config is using 40GB.

Info Box:

Model: ST3250410AS
Serial: ***********
Firmware: 3.AAA
Capacity: 250GB

Channel: SATA Port 0
Transfer: UDMA Mode 6
Addressing: 48-bit LBA
Support 3G: YES
RAID Config: RDD0 40GB

I am able to delete the raid array but it still only lets me make one at a time.

I have my bios set up properly too I think- Onboard SATA/IDE Device is enabled, Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode is RAID/IDE and SATA AHCI Mode is Disabled.

Isn't this the point of matrix raid? Create multiple arrays, the first one being the fastest?

Has anyone else has this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks

But unfortunately, you don't have that chipset.... You'll need to get the GA-P35-DS3R mobo to do what you want.

I have that same board here, and the gigaRAID is limited to only one Volume... sorry...

thats bullsh**. I'm going to make a 500gb raid0 array and create windows partitions 80GB then 420GB and hopefully it does them sequentially so 80GB is the fastest.

Back