• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 8800GTS 640mb: Any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kraze98nyc

Registered
I have heard little if anything about the Gigabyte 8800GTS 640mb on here or elsewhere. I have the opportunity to get one at a good price and i'm wondering if its a good card. Will be overclocking down the road most likely.
Thanks!

gigabyte, asus, msi, xfx, evga, foxxcon, bfg, they are pretty much the same card. go for warranty and RMA service. gigabyte has among the worse customer service and rma department I have ever dealt with.

evga
bfg
xfx
would probably have to be the best rma and warranty in order of greatness

if warranty and rma speed is no concern here's the cheapest 640s you'll find right now

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA52290&RSKU=AA52290
msi for $320 after rebate

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321103
xfx for $340 after rebate and you get lost planet

I prefer evga myself over all.

also in the next month or so there's rumor of a 112sp gts 640 hitting the shelves...

Basically all of the cards are made in the same plant with a different name slapped on them. I ONLY buy EVGA as they are simply awsome. Lifetime warranty, great customer support, and step up porgram what is not to love? Personally I avoid Gigabyte like the plauge, I have not heard much positive about them outside of affordable mid range mobos.

The 640 is one of the best cardds avalible for cost/performance. Get a card from a reputable seller EVGA, BFG, XFX as they are more likley to have the good quality cards that will overclock well and they will have a good returns policy or warrenty that will cover overclocking the card.

Basically all of the cards are made in the same plant with a different name slapped on them. I ONLY buy EVGA as they are simply awsome. Lifetime warranty, great customer support, and step up porgram what is not to love? Personally I avoid Gigabyte like the plauge, I have not heard much positive about them outside of affordable mid range mobos.

yup... me to evga just kicks ***.

not a question of minding ATI, its a question of you mind gaming without AA, cuz the 2900pro's although are the same as the xt's and cheaper even a 320 is better with AA

not a question of minding ATI, its a question of you mind gaming without AA, cuz the 2900pro's although are the same as the xt's and cheaper even a 320 is better with AA
Last I checked the 2900PRO is pretty much a tie with AA, without it's a fair bit more powerful.
$250 is a great price, these things overclock to XT speeds and beyond and stock cooling can get you up to 825+ core, at that clock you won't be surprised to exceed the GTX in performance with or without AA.

The only two video cards that catch my eyes right now are the 2900PRO(price) and 8800Ultra(core fab).

Back